2014 Yamaha Viper

yoopermike

How long do you think it will be before someone strips the front and rear suspension off and puts M components on to narrow up the front stance and stretch it out in back? I wonder if it would be a direct bolt in?

rawfish

Here are pics from the dealer unveil today in Minneapolis

It is a Cat chassis with the Nytro engine and forward dumping exhaust. Few things that have me worried is it is using a cat gear box and push button reverse. Also the plastics on the throttle/speedo look like cheap plastic thats on the cats and the Polaris's
2_zps5b796947.jpg

1_zps17919bb1.jpg

The official web site is also live now at www.srviper.com Price will be 12-12.5

bearrassler

I am thinking Yamaha gave them 2 stroke technology so they do not have the same sled competing. So maybe look for the Arctic Cat with the Yamaha 2 stroke motor.

I think that Arctic may have a new Yamaha 2 stroke in the works but also the exact same sled as the new Viper except for color and graphics will be available as an Arctic Cat

I must have been posting the same time as rawfish

Last edited:

alwaysright

I feel that both companies did a superb job on bringing something new and fresh to the market place. Kudos to both Yamaha and Arctic Cat for bringing it! Love it"!

I'm confused how this is "new and fresh"

The cat chassis was "new" in 2012
The yami motor is not new by any means

the combo is new which is nice but I wouldn't (personally) classify a 2 year old chassis with no announced improvments and a motor which is new to the chassis to be new or fresh.

That's like saying when poo first came out with the rush 600 and then followed with the 800 in 2011 that an 800 rush was new and fresh, still old hat IMO.

Not that I don't like the combo of AC/Yami I think it's different just now "new and fresh".

olsmann

No one wants to talk about the fact that we are now basically down to 3 manufactures now? this is a whole lot more than an engine agreement, cat gave yamaha a chassis and yamaha gave them motors. The question no one seems to ask is WHY is this really all happening? Who has tons of cash and who did not? Who needed whos help more? I suspect yamaha just bailed cat out of serious future financial whoes They needed some motors (and cash to survive) and they traded the only thing they had that yamaha wanted, a chassis. Im curious to know how much of cat, yamaha actually now owns! I dont feel like the "agreement" that was announced is the whole story here.

Last edited:

rawfish

yamaha is in no way out of cash. yamaha motors is a engine builder they always have been. yamaha has built allot of engines even for cars. they built the engine for the lexus lfa. because they are a engine builder it makes sense to use a chassis that is proven as they are engine builders and not builders of chassis.

No one wants to talk about the fact that we are now basically down to 3 manufactures now? this is a whole lot more than an engine agreement, cat gave yamaha a chassis and yamaha gave them motors. The question no one seems to ask is WHY is this really all happening? Who has tons of cash and who did not? Who needed whos help more? I suspect yamaha just bailed cat out of serious future financial whoes They needed some motors (and cash to survive) and they traded the only thing they had that yamaha wanted, a chassis. Im curious to know how much of cat, yamaha actually now owns! I dont feel like the "agreement" that was announced is the whole story here.

olsmann

yamaha is in no way out of cash. yamaha motors is a engine builder they always have been. yamaha has built allot of engines even for cars. they built the engine for the lexus lfa. because they are a engine builder it makes sense to use a chassis that is proven as they are engine builders and not builders of chassis.

you misunderstood, cat is out of cash

ezra

How long do you think it will be before someone strips the front and rear suspension off and puts M components on to narrow up the front stance and stretch it out in back? I wonder if it would be a direct bolt in?

but why?
if u want a 4s hill climber/submarine why not just buy the M that already has all the parts and 180hp.
only diff what blue plastic?
I am sure lcc will build some for the die hards but at this point it would be a fool and his money

Last edited:
G

G

Cat stronger than it has been in a long time. They just might not be building your next sled. But they will be around for awhile. They owe nobody.

catguy

I have to wonder, why 129 and 137" tracks, also why so many sets of idler wheels? The XTX appears to have a XF skid, but why not just re-use the 128" for short tracks? I'm really pumped to see the cat lineup now!

yoopermike

but why?
if u want a 4s hill climber/submarine why not just buy the M that already has all the parts and 180hp.
only diff what blue plastic?
I am sure lcc will build some for the die hards but at this point it would be a fool and his money

I'm not saying I would do it...are you saying the turbo M is a submarine? I thought that terminology was saved for the Nytro/Apex? Oh wait, that's tank.

ezra

tank / 3/4ton take your pic.
yes the turbo m is a submarine like any thing in deep snow with 500lbs+ over the ski's .
they can climb like a mofo

yamahauler

I believe Yamaha has been struggling in the sled market for years, bad winter's, high price, design vs target age group buying sleds.
I don't think the President of Yamaha really has much interest in the snowmobile division as he was a motorcycle guy so that plays a roll, just my 2 cents.
I think it will be a good joint venture. It will hopefully spice it up and I hope they come out with some light 4 strokes, we'll see.

eagle1

I have to wonder, why 129 and 137" tracks, also why so many sets of idler wheels? The XTX appears to have a XF skid, but why not just re-use the 128" for short tracks? I'm really pumped to see the cat lineup now!

129" is the standard Articat short track. think after 2013's came out they said closer to 129 so they started listing them that way. If you look at their website that's what sleds are listed as.

I don't think either company is getting out of sled business. Cat makes more money building more sleds, Yamaha saves money on shipping sleds.

bottom line, more products made (ok assembled) in the U.S.A!!!

SkiDude 51

I can definitely see Yamaha slowly faiding out of the snowmobile market. Profits from snowmobile sales are less than 3% of total sales of Yamaha Corporation (as told to me by a close friend who was a Yamaha Snowmobile test engineer until October before moving to Polaris) . Focusing completely on engine design and performance makes complete sense to me. I can see this working out very well for both Cat and Yamaha and I'm sure it will result in some pretty neat new sleds in the future.

fredster

I'm not sure why you guys think Yamaha is fading away.....Spent 5 days over the past two weeks riding in the Newberry area and saw a ton of Yamaha's, both new and recent, almost all 4S except for a few SRX's and SXR's. I saw the usual Ski-Doo volume and noticed a small but visible number of the new AC's (front suspension is a dead giveaway). What I noticed the most though were all the Rush's, Rush Switchbacks, Rush Adventures and few of the new Indy's...and based on the colors most of these were 2012's and 2013's. Compared to 10 years ago when Polaris and AC seemed to dominate, there is much more of a balance between the 4, with AC being 4 now. Again, just my comments from 5 days of riding - nothing scientific about my survey. Your results may vary! :)