3 Old Guys Ride to Alaska

eyeman

Pretty cool that anybody would take this challenge/adventure on. Lifelong snowmobilers and probably trained persons. I want to see photos of these folks' winter cooking over open flames at below freezing temperatures. How about the Stucks? Keep the information coming. Dang, I wish they had invited me.

pclark

I would do it if they put me on a brand new sled, you only go around once in life, take the opportunities that are presented to you. I know these guys have done this before but just sayin, count me in if you need someone next year!

snowdance

Looks like a rough day yesterday. Follow them on Facebook to see their adventures…

Day 4 Update / Mar 10

Nobody said it would be easy. 🔥

Today was a tough day on the trail. The guys used over a tank of gas in the chainsaw cutting through brush and fallen trees as they made their way through old cat trails that haven’t been used in years.

In that process, Rob had a fallen pine tree come up through the hood of his sled, he grabbed the branch and tossed it over his shoulder without much thought. Later, as they crossed a lake riding through deep powder the engine naturally got hot as the machine worked harder, and the muffler warm. They stopped to assess the route and noticed smoke coming from Rob’s sled. Rob and Paul quickly started packing snow on the machine but the burning was deep under the hood. Thankfully, Rex had (last minute) packed a fire extinguisher that saved the sled.

They later realized that remnants of the pine tree broke off under the hood and was laying on the exhaust pipe which caused the fire. They were able to limp the ~50 miles back to Flin Flon where they knew they would be able work on repairs and regroup.

Now, in true Apollo mission style they are pulling together the tools available and doing the necessary repair work.

Thanks to the many people that were available and on standby to help today from both near and far.

54F87620-EEA1-40F3-BF9F-2BE084E43371.jpeg

skiroule

If you've been following their journey, you've seen this photo which gives one an idea of some of the conditions they are encountering. But reading their account of the trip though, they're taking everything in stride and you can tell they been through this before. It looks like they are doing as much lake riding as their route allows, and probably for good reason. Fascinating stuff.

3_Old_Guys_1_1.jpg

skiroule

I thought all 3 were towing sleds behind.
What they are doing at times is leaving the sleds behind to break a stretch of trail and then going back and picking them up. Guess it's still better than trying to drag a sled along on the first pass.

bearrassler

It sounds like they had their first night in a tent last night. The update said they rode until about midnight but did not make the planned destination. It sounds like quite the adventure.

SledTL

As cool as this sounds I'd imagine you get to a point where you don't want to touch or look at a sled anymore. Somewhere probably around day 10 or so when the excitement has worn off and its still -16 chopping wood like theres no tomorrow. Major props if they pull this off without any major issues. Takes a certain breed to do this and a lot of backwoods knowledge when things go sideways.

timo

There is a great write up on Arcticinsider.com if you want more photos or info.
Site can't be reached.
This sounded cool at first as I thought they were cruising groomed trails 95% of the trip,, but if them above pictures are what they're navigating on a daily basis that's an easy pass for this guy.

snomoman

There was something I was seeing that showed their routes and they are going out of their way a lot to use lake routes and I can see why they do because having to clear cut through forest areas must be a pain for these 3 guys. especially at their age, on another note, if another expedition followed behind them. they would’ve broken the trail clean for them,
Maybe they might surprise us all and head back, this way they know that they don’t have to clean up the trail and just follow their tracks

Last edited:

wiscrev

Site can't be reached.
This sounded cool at first as I thought they were cruising groomed trails 95% of the trip,, but if them above pictures are what they're navigating on a daily basis that's an easy pass for this guy.
Site worked for me. I got the gist that they were trying to follow old supply routes of a mining company from the 30's-40's, hence the tough routes they are taking.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it was about a year ago we were watching that guy on a Thundercat set an endurance record for 24 hours. Now these guys come along with an epic journey of their own. They're camping outdoors when it's -19 degrees, cutting brush as they go...they're going to have a heck of story to tell whether they make it or not.