Ace 900 Turbo

Hi everyone. I'm curious to get some experienced opinions on the Ace 900 Turbo Ski-doo's. I have never ridden one although I have put a few miles on the non-turbo renegade. As a trail rider, the renegade would be a likely choice although not with the non-turbo 900. So, for anyone who has spent time on the trail with an Ace 900 turbo, what are your thoughts? Are you impressed with the power? Is there a noticeable lag in the turbo? Any other pro's or cons?
Thanks

1fujifilm

Hi everyone. I'm curious to get some experienced opinions on the Ace 900 Turbo Ski-doo's. I have never ridden one although I have put a few miles on the non-turbo renegade. As a trail rider, the renegade would be a likely choice although not with the non-turbo 900. So, for anyone who has spent time on the trail with an Ace 900 turbo, what are your thoughts? Are you impressed with the power? Is there a noticeable lag in the turbo? Any other pro's or cons?
Thanks

Haven't ridden the 2019 turbo 900 but can tell you where prices are today and why the 850 is a better value for me;
19 Renegade 900T 11.3
19 Renegade 850 9.64

Bear
Bear

slimcake

Ya I can't believe how cheap those ski-don'ts (sorry Frank...) are right now. One of my very frugal friends just bought a new one this weekend. 9900. He hasn't had a sled since 2010. Don't they have a sticker price close to 16k? Another bud is trying to sell his 17 850 for 9k. I told him good luck with that.... Now as for the 900 turbo there were some vids on a lake vs an 850 and that turbo was hanging right in there. Claims were that it was modified though...

fjr4me

I just drove a 19' 900T Renegade Adrenaline for a 75mile demo ride this past weekend. I need to make a decision for a Spring Check on a new sled this year and it's between the Renegade 850 or Renegade 900T, in either an X or XRS package.

I have over 25k miles on Ski Doo 1200 Renegades (2011 & 2016) and about 500miles on my wife's 900 Ace, since 2011. Before that it was all 800's... and rebuilds. :)

The 900T does everything better than my 1200's, all be it a colder ride for sure. Would need to add a larger shield/deflectors etc.

The handling on the 900T was very precise and easy to steer and the motor pulls as hard as the 850's I've ridden to about 80mph. I'm sure with a mild tune, the 900T would cause the 850 fits in drag race, it that matters to you, it does not to me.
I'm very comfortable with the ITC throttle, as I have it on my 16' 1200 and 16' 900 Ace Blizzard. In sport mode it was very aggressive and had great pull. I found "standard" mode to be preferred in the tight twisty's and sport mode just about anywhere else. It would behoove you to get a ride on one if you have not tried the ITC throttle, as I know many folks who absolutely hate it.

The G4 is very comfortable to me and the wider seat on the 900T was a little nicer than the 850's I've ridden.

After riding both the 850 and the 900T, I have to say the 850 is just a more fun riding experience and I can't believe I'm saying this right now, but I think at this point I may go back to an oil burner. I hope I don't regret it as either sled is really nice. If between now and April 14th, I decide to not go back to a 2-stroke, the 900T in my eyes in the nicest 4-stroke trail sled on the market today. It does not have near the power that the Yamacat 998 has, but it sure felt lighter and more flickable in comparison from my perspective.

Good luck with your decision in going 4-stroke.

I really appreciate the responses. fjr4me, I currently own an 09 Nytro XTX and a 16 Viper - no comparisons between these two models but am familiar with 4 strokes and prefer their expected longevity with the motors. I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the 850 but do not look forward to getting up to 10k miles and wondering if I'm on borrowed time. Having been a Yamaha guy for a while, I'm after a bit more power but the Sidewinder does not seem appealing when I'm at the end of a 200 mile day and have to run tight twisty trails to get back home.

fjr4me

I really appreciate the responses. fjr4me, I currently own an 09 Nytro XTX and a 16 Viper - no comparisons between these two models but am familiar with 4 strokes and prefer their expected longevity with the motors. I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the 850 but do not look forward to getting up to 10k miles and wondering if I'm on borrowed time. Having been a Yamaha guy for a while, I'm after a bit more power but the Sidewinder does not seem appealing when I'm at the end of a 200 mile day and have to run tight twisty trails to get back home.

Yup, I'm with you on the "longevity" thoughts and it's the one thing that keeps tugging at me to not go back to a 2-stroke. That is why I also convinced my wife to go to the 900Ace from her 600 etec.

I have to agree, the Sidewinder though a great machine, would wear me out quicker than even my 1200, after a long day in the saddle, which is almost always 200-300 mile days with a lot of twisty's in the areas we ride in the upper Midwest.

buddah2

I had occasion to line up against a bud's 900T yesterday with my Sidewinder B-TX....he's spotting me 100 or so hp but I was spotting him 100 or more lbs (he's 200, I'm 3 bills with all gear)....as expected he got toasted....

That said he's EXTREMELY happy with his sled (a Renegade 900T)....and he always has the option of re-flashing the ECU to take it just north of 200 hp still on pump gas....an added benefit, he gets 22 or so mpg while I get 15, assuming neither of us is "hammering it"

dothedoo

I picked up a 900T Enduro the week before last, and have a little over 900 miles on it already. I absolutely love it! For the last 5 years I rode a 900GSX, and the 5 years before that...1200X Renegade. Those two have about 20,000 combined miles on them.

I wasn't thrilled about going back to the 137 (they only make the 900T in a Renegade model), but this sled does really handle well. There are some guys complaining about the ITC, but I honestly have no idea what they're talking about. It's incredibly smooth and quiet and I am really starting to like the heated seat and air ride of the Enduro.

It's definitely a colder ride, at least on my arms. I am a grandpa, but I'm not putting a grandpa windshield on my sled, so I'll just get a warmer coat. lol

I am 100% happy with this sled. My only regret is not buying one earlier in the year....but the $2,000 rebate was appreciated.

dfattack

I picked up a 900T Enduro the week before last, and have a little over 900 miles on it already. I absolutely love it! For the last 5 years I rode a 900GSX, and the 5 years before that...1200X Renegade. Those two have about 20,000 combined miles on them.

I wasn't thrilled about going back to the 137 (they only make the 900T in a Renegade model), but this sled does really handle well. There are some guys complaining about the ITC, but I honestly have no idea what they're talking about. It's incredibly smooth and quiet and I am really starting to like the heated seat and air ride of the Enduro.

It's definitely a colder ride, at least on my arms. I am a grandpa, but I'm not putting a grandpa windshield on my sled, so I'll just get a warmer coat. lol

I am 100% happy with this sled. My only regret is not buying one earlier in the year....but the $2,000 rebate was appreciated.

I recently rode that route from Tipler down through Hiles over to 3 lakes and north to Caspian. I asked about it in another thread. I rode that route with someone who recently purchased a 2019 Enduro 900T and basically feels the same way as you do. Really likes the sled but the Windshield is definitely not enough. I'm not a grandpa (as far as I know) but I think the adjustable Mid-High windshield may be a good alternative. I personally don't care about how the bigger windshields look. I've had too many icy misty days where I couldn't see. Yesterday was cold and I was tucked behind my windshield and didn't get cold until we stopped on the trail. I'm riding an Apex XTX now. Still like it, in fact I just ordered a set of Elka shocks for my Apex. If I had to get a new sled it would be the 900 turbo on the Enduro for sure.

whitedust

I had an opportunity yesterday to log 150 miles on a 2019 Enduro and it is a very impressive sled. The engine has plenty of output in tight Twistys for standard mod and gives you confidence that the skis will stay planted for aggressive turning. Sport mod lifts the skis so a bit of a break from the snow in sharp turns but with a toggle up with the air shock controls the pressure on the front skis keeps them planted but increases steering effort considerably. I liked 3 on the air shock light steering good compression on the skid and skis just a bit of a break on the snow but predictable. The heated seat was fantastic left at 14 below never got above 5f all day. The medium windshield is not enough so go higher or freeze. Sport mode is perfect for grades or big wide trails and felt a lot like my
apex xtx. I thought I would miss eps on my apex but the adjustable carbide skis just simply work no darting set on 3. The adjustable riser is very useful too bring it up to stand up or kick back and cruise. I like a low throttle position when sitting so the 360 rotational throttle was perfect for me. Skidoo has their act together and know what we want the Enduro is a great sled! I also rode a Renegade x for 50 miles and it’s a great sled too just more features that I like on the 2019 Enduro than the X. Imo you can’t go wrong with either sled saw 25 mpg in standard blew my mind and this is from a 14 year Yamaha user. I can’t say I used eco but it does avoid track spin when loading. I hope this helps?

Wow, guys. Thanks to you all, for your detailed replies. It's great to get a wide sampling of opinions. It's also good to hear favorable reviews. I think there's so much to like on this sled so now, I just have to decide if this is the year to pick one up.
dothedoo, 900+ miles in a couple weeks is awesome! I'm a grandpa too and am with you with the windshield choice. I've put taller (mid-height) shields on my last two sleds and typically, that's been enough. I do have a heated seat on my Viper but rarely have used it. Any idea how long the rebate is going and, do dealers generally have leftover sleds into the spring?
Thanks again, everyone.

dothedoo

I think the February rebates were extended through March, so $2019 off msrp for most models. Just about every dealer I called in Wisconsin had a couple of 900T's left. Mostly just the standard Renegade Adrenaline model, but there were a few that still had Enduros.

yamadooed

The 900T has decent amount of power and the turbo is small so spooling up quick so any bit of lag is less than I noticed on the Winder.

Pros-Handling, Quiet, Comfortable, Power, 16-20 MPGs, Fit and finish, Throttle ease and adjustability, Belt life, Easy access to oil and filter, Storage spaces, Lotsa link goodies available...

Cons-Brake disc rattle'n, Link Extras =$, Throttle modes needs to be more user adjustable.

2000miles and so far its on track to be the best damn sled I've ever owned...

fjr4me

After all this additional positive feedback from others on the 900T, I don't know how I can entertain going back to a 2-stroke.

This is all making my decision quite a bit easier.

Electraglide1, what color 900 doo would you buy? I say the medium red. With your bright blue Yami gear (same as worn by Bunny during the Yamaha intro vids) you will look mighty sharp.

just_ride

so what is Link Extras=$ mean?
The 900T has decent amount of power and the turbo is small so spooling up quick so any bit of lag is less than I noticed on the Winder.

Pros-Handling, Quiet, Comfortable, Power, 16-20 MPGs, Fit and finish, Throttle ease and adjustability, Belt life, Easy access to oil and filter, Storage spaces, Lotsa link goodies available...

Cons-Brake disc rattle'n, Link Extras =$, Throttle modes needs to be more user adjustable.

2000miles and so far its on track to be the best damn sled I've ever owned...

- - - Updated - - -

any turbo lag when you hit the flipper or does it pull like your Apex?
thanks

I had an opportunity yesterday to log 150 miles on a 2019 Enduro and it is a very impressive sled. The engine has plenty of output in tight Twistys for standard mod and gives you confidence that the skis will stay planted for aggressive turning. Sport mod lifts the skis so a bit of a break from the snow in sharp turns but with a toggle up with the air shock controls the pressure on the front skis keeps them planted but increases steering effort considerably. I liked 3 on the air shock light steering good compression on the skid and skis just a bit of a break on the snow but predictable. The heated seat was fantastic left at 14 below never got above 5f all day. The medium windshield is not enough so go higher or freeze. Sport mode is perfect for grades or big wide trails and felt a lot like my
apex xtx. I thought I would miss eps on my apex but the adjustable carbide skis just simply work no darting set on 3. The adjustable riser is very useful too bring it up to stand up or kick back and cruise. I like a low throttle position when sitting so the 360 rotational throttle was perfect for me. Skidoo has their act together and know what we want the Enduro is a great sled! I also rode a Renegade x for 50 miles and it’s a great sled too just more features that I like on the 2019 Enduro than the X. Imo you can’t go wrong with either sled saw 25 mpg in standard blew my mind and this is from a 14 year Yamaha user. I can’t say I used eco but it does avoid track spin when loading. I hope this helps?