Actual Living Space

polarisxcsp

Alright guys, I have a bi-level, raised foundation house (whatever you want to call it) Im requesting to view my property tax card to assess how they are charging me for home taxes and make sure everything is correct. Should my basement/lower level of the house be legally considered living space since its below grade? From a realtors stand point, yes it should be...more sq ft = more money. But if its not legally considered living space then my house will only be considered a 2 bedroom 1 bath and Im assuming that will lower my bill.

Attachments

• 477421_3531978377218_663226065_o.jpg
    477421_3531978377218_663226065_o.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 112

snocrazy

I think I live in my garage more than the house.

I questioned my property taxes and guess what happened. They jacked my taxes up. Be careful. You are poking the bear. Some times these things are better left alone. Good Luck.

whitedust

When the county acessor came thru our neighborhood in Walworth County he did a walk thru of everyone's house looked at my basement said I'll cut back the % of your basement. He was in & out so quick it made my head spin. I asked my wife how can this guy keep all house details correct running the way he was that day. Long & short the guy dies of a heart attack couple weeks later & we get our tax increase listing 2nd floor living area over garage + lisiting front & back porch area & some other stuff that just was not my property. The county acessor had neighborhood properties mixed & jumbled so we appealed & won no problem. Now that was around 2000ish don't remember exact year. I would be very careful with a tax appeal in 2013 & may be better left alone all towns scraping for budget money. Since 2008 house values have all decreased we all know that & it has become a game house value Vs mil rate % to run goverments. Just saying you might be opening a can of worms tread lightly.

Hire a quailifed real estate tax attorney to appeal your valuation and assessed value. They work on a contingency fee basis and take usually 25-30% of the first year's tax savings. Savings are usually locked in for a longer time as properties are not reassessed every year. They usually know people at the the assessor's office and know how to fill out the paperwork. If that can't save you any money, they don'e earn a fee. You got nothing to lose.

harvest1121

I use to have a tri level like that the the square footage counted because it was not all below the grade. If that house had a basement also then the basement would not be counted.

I would go to the board of review first. Ask a few questions as to what the property detail is based on and that should tell you. I've been there on a couple occasions for different properties and have had satisfactory results. I wouldn't get a tax attorney at this point. I have a finished basement with a bath and all is taxable, but not at the same per sq ft charge as the upstairs.

98panther

Different state but...

My house is a multi level, part like yours (5crs walls / lookout)and the other part has a 12crs deep unfinished basement.
I am taxed on all finished areas, so if it is finished I'd guess you'll be taxed on it.
In my lookout area it is a family room, bath and bedroom. Doubt I could get them to ignore all that space.

And our tax acessors refuse to come inside, ask questions at door and measure outside, won't come in.

Last edited:

chords

In MI just go to your city/county/twp hall and anyone can review tax records, past sales and assessments of any property in that area. Take a close look at your record and something big may jump out in your favor. Or maybe still listed as a 2 bd room. Just be sure and do your homework because something as simple as a front porch counts. I think basements are classified as finished or unfinished and that your lower level would be not considered a "basement". And bathrms count regardless of up or down While there check out surrounding naybours and you will be amazed how much of a difference there is between taxes and/or assessments on identical homes. Can be hundreds of $$ a year. And not always dependent upon how many yrs homesteaded by current or new owner.

dcsnomo

I would go to the board of review first. Ask a few questions as to what the property detail is based on and that should tell you. I've been there on a couple occasions for different properties and have had satisfactory results. I wouldn't get a tax attorney at this point. I have a finished basement with a bath and all is taxable, but not at the same per sq ft charge as the upstairs.

Yup! Board of Review is first step, or if there is an open book meeting wityh the assessor go there first.

ezra

NEVER NEVER NEVER let the assessor in your home .
and be aware the second you close a permit for remodeling on your home the paper work is sent to the assessor and he will come knocking.
just give him the old
its Dave.
Dave?
yeah man its Dave.
Dave's not hear.
they have been to my home 4 times in 15 yrs I always tell them everything they need to see can be seen from the street.have a nice day Good by

chords

its Dave.
Dave?
yeah man its Dave.
Dave's not hear.

And NEVER admit that you have the stuff either

garyl62

In IL your bill is based on living space. If it's finished then it's counted, no matter where it is in relationship to grade. If this is your case you're screwed even if you don't let them in because all they have to do is look in the windows. Got my friend that way, he built his house with an unfinished walk-out basement, then a few years later he finished the basement himself with no permit. Couple years later got a tax bill with double the square footage listed (he has a ranch). When he protested they told him they looked in the windows and it "appeared" he had finished his basement so they assumed the entire basement was now finished so they doubled his square footage. If he wanted to schedule an appointment with the assessor for a walk through they would measure only the finished area and adjust his bill accordingly. Since he had finished about 90% and added 1 1/2 baths and a second kitchen he figured he would just take their number as they didn't increase his plumbing fixture count.

Bottom line, if its finished and the fair market value they list for your house is accurate then leave it alone. If they have your house over valued then appeal.

98panther

I tried to get her (the acessor) to come inside because she was trying to add in attic space, because it had a window to the street.
It's a 100 year old house there is a tiny window into an attic that is only 5' tall in the center and 0' tall at the sides. She didn't believe me.
She finally backed off when I showed her the 16" x 24" hole in the hall ceiling that is the only access to it.
But she was still standing outside the door when I was pointing to it. Since then I covered the window with shutters so it doesn't come up again.

Front half is a 100 year old house I have nothing to hide. oldest place on this street, they should know what it is by now.

Last edited:

samc

DO NOT EVER LET the acessor in your house. Your just asking for an increase if you do that. I pay enough between the house and the cabin. MN really sticks to you regarding property tax's. I've done what Ezra has done and told them to go away twice in 13 yrs and once at the cabin in 8 yrs.
Funny how my property value went down but my tax's didn't!

yamahauler

If everyone in the city's taxes go down, then the city get's less revenue. If this happens they up the mill rate and you pay more taxes on a home value that is less than it was 2 yrs ago. They have to get the money somehow. Not letting the assessor in I think is a myth. Unless everything in your house is some kind of exotic material, you have nothing to hide. Yea, if you have african walnut cabinets and flooring they may up you some but standard hardwood or ceramic floors and oak cabinets is standard nowadays.
If I was an assessor and you didn't let me in, I would jack your value so you would appeal, now you have no choice. Yea, we all feel we are being screwed when it comes time to pay, but it kind of goes with the saying you have to pay to play.

As far as the original post, do your homework in your area. You can go online and look at everyone's tax record (at least in MN) if you have the address. If you have friends, look at theirs and if you know that they have had an assessor in, you can gauge if you are high or low.

jshabadu

"DO NOT EVER LET the assessor in your house. Your just asking for an increase if you do that."

I'm not sure if I agree with this. I think it depends on whether the entire house is finished. If you do not let the assessors inside to look, they will assume the entire house is finished/livable and set the value based on assumptions. This could generate a higher tax bill than if you let them in and they can see for themselves what the situation is.

ripcord

I think if the question is concerning whether a lower level(below grade) room is considered a bedroom, it can't be a bedroom unless there is 'egress'... meaning it must have an unobstructed exit to get out of the house from that room.... basically a fire escape that is no more than 36"(?) from floor level leading directly out of the house. I'm not exactly sure about this but may be something you need to research.

98panther

It's 42" off floor 5.7s.f., min hgt/width etc etc. - but that is for new work being done.
For value or resale many things are grandfathered through. But a lookout is going to be fine either way.

ezra

"DO NOT EVER LET the assessor in your house. Your just asking for an increase if you do that."

I'm not sure if I agree with this. I think it depends on whether the entire house is finished. If you do not let the assessors inside to look, they will assume the entire house is finished/livable and set the value based on assumptions. This could generate a higher tax bill than if you let them in and they can see for themselves what the situation is.

You don't have to agree but they have rules they have to follow.one good thing about Gov red tape.they have to go on permits pulled as far as renovations etc etc.
so lets just say a home owner has not pulled a permit on his own home in 10 yrs and the last one pulled was for a furnace and before that electric panel.
the assessor has to assume U have a old bath old kitchen old tile etc etc.
but said homeowner may have 1 more bath that would cost 35g he could have a high end kitchen with high end appliances only found in ultra high end homes.
I find it best to keep it looking like the rest of the neighborhood out side and completely unfitting of the neighborhood in side.