another oil question

fatdaddy

So indy after your motor blew up, what was the cause, I would think if its the oil you would have siezed the motor. What oil are you running now and have you ever had any other motors go down.

indy_500

it's cheap but it isn't junk

oh it's junk, believe me. If you're drinking soda, do you want the real mountain dew, or the fake stuff? If you were your sled, would your sled's motor want the cheap crap, or the good stuff? It has feelings ya know :)

Last edited:

indy_500

So indy after your motor blew up, what was the cause, I would think if its the oil you would have siezed the motor. What oil are you running now and have you ever had any other motors go down.

Idk what the cause was, but it blew up 500 miles after switching to citgo sea and snow. I had a 550 fan blow up at 100 miles, and 4000 miles (yes, 100 miles) due to clogged jets. And my dad blew up an indy 400 back in the day twice on the same lake due to moisture buildup in the airbox.

harvest1121

Its good oil I would not worry about it. I would say rider error more then the oil. If you do not know why it blew why would it be the oil?

indy_500

If you do not know why it blew why would it be the oil?

so it's not a coincedence at all that it ran fine for 8k miles and 120 psi in both cylinders, then it decided to blow up 500 miles later? what about your sled harvest? top end didn't last 5k am i right?

D

Ditch rider

oh it's junk, believe me. If you're drinking soda, do you want the real mountain dew, or the fake stuff? If you were your sled, would your sled's motor want the cheap crap, or the good stuff? It has feelings ya know :)

Not a good analogy from an oil standpoint, but I agree from a soda standpoint.

harvest1121

Actually it was 2 bad gauges checking compression, plugs (that were new) and weak clutching. Did not get to ride it again till yesterday and rode good. I think 5000 miles on a 2008 Skidoo XP is good. It must be the oil that kept it running. Still under warranty all season so can hope it goes this year for my new engine. Maybe I will switch to Amsoil so it blows JK Its like everything else everyone has a preference.

harvest1121

Hey Indy

All stocked up.

IMG-20101206-00049.jpg
[/IMG]

muskieswen

Fredster and all who replied,
Thanks for the info. Haven'yt looked at the replies till today and sounds like my oil question may be an old question. Any way thanks all for the input and the laughter. You can always find good info on this site. Happy holidays to all.

whitedust

Idk what the cause was, but it blew up 500 miles after switching to citgo sea and snow. I had a 550 fan blow up at 100 miles, and 4000 miles (yes, 100 miles) due to clogged jets. And my dad blew up an indy 400 back in the day twice on the same lake due to moisture buildup in the airbox.

Got to luv those 2s Indy lol:) You sound like you are 4s worthy with those meltdowns. :D

G

G

Back in the day we tried many different oils for our 2 smokers. We finally settled on Pennzoil Sodium Permeated Canola Blended TC3 WWW.distilledblacksnot. It meets all marine and astrophysical requirements handed down from the PCPEndocrine meetings of 1983. It will mix with any other oil except in temperatures ranging from -40 to 210 degrees F. It is not cheap but we had good luck with it.

whitedust

4 meltdowns out of 15 engines not a good average less than 75% did not meltdown... OUCH!
Can't wait for 2s injected odds. :) Good oil has little to do with meltdowns use whatever.

indy_500

4 meltdowns out of 15 engines not a good average less than 75% did not meltdown... OUCH!
Can't wait for 2s injected odds. :) Good oil has little to do with meltdowns use whatever.

around 90% of the sleds he had didn't melt down though, the 2 sleds that did blow up, blew up twice. and the indy 400 he had blew up twice screaming across lake poygon. Needless to say, he hasn't gone on the lake since :)

jrvnlb

One word.......Yamalube!!!!!!! Been running Yamalube in Polaris sleds for years. Got sleds with exhaust valves and the Polaris guy asked how we keep the valves so clean. It don't cost an arm and a leg and won't hurt the Polaris motors. The Polaris dealer even said to run Yamalube in them. Up to you but it's been proven and works for use.