Arctic Cat Recalls Snowmobiles Due to Fire Hazard

ubee

Arctic Cat Snowmobiles Recalled
Published on October 30, 2009

by EU News Network

(EUNewsNet.com and OfficialWire)

WASHINGTON, DC

The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall of Arctic Cat snowmobiles due to a fire hazard.

About 3,000 Model Year 2009 Arctic Cat Z1 Turbo, Z1 Turbo Sno Pro and TZ1 Turbo snowmobiles have the potential to leak oil, which can pose a fire hazard, the commission said in a statement.

The company has received 33 reports of oil leaks, eight of them including fires, the commission said.

The snowmobiles were sold nationwide from June 2008 through July 2009 for $12,500 to $14,300.

Consumers were advised to stop using the snowmobiles and contact an Arctic Cat dealership to schedule a free repair.

Consumers can call 800-279-6851 for information.

stormbringr1

Question: Not intended to be a pissing contest between the merits of the various manufacturers...but what would possibly compel anyone to buy an Arctic Cat to begin with--with so many clearly better alternatives out there for the same money?

L

lenny

storm, your kidding right?

Cat probably has the BEST machines for powder and I am a Yammi guy. I have no problem admitting it either. my conclusion has come about by riding the big 4 machines and cat is balanced the best in the stand up position, good power. Doo powder sleds are IMHO to low center of gravity and takes more effort to carve. Poo RMK's seemed very good but steering shaft angle with adjustable rises up were a weird steering feel. Cat's rule the powder, poo's come in a close second, doo's are very nice machines but weight mass to low. Yammi, not really in the game right now, big a** lump of weight way up front causes the machine to dive to the low side of terrain. I had the phazer mtx, buddy had the xtx and same thing, Yammi probably the highest in quality in mo opinion but just does not have a good powder sled. I've seen the yammi 2010 model and sat on them. Rear end got lighter, sway bar off on the MTN. I will say my mtn lite while standing up in deep powder handles as good as a cat m but get into some off camber side hill terrain and you'll wear yourself out REA FAST. Remember, this in my opinion and preference so with that said, to each his own but at least all who are going to chime in on this thread, I hope you had an opportunity to ride them ALL before you load up the thread with BS. Loyalists will never step outside their brand and that's okay but it doesn't allow for a balanced discussion

stormbringr1

Duly noted, Lenny... I, however, place a premium on reliability. If something doesn't do the job I require when I decide to turn the key--it's of no use to me. I have no time to piss around with junk when it's time to ride...

D

Deleted member 10829

Every single manufacturer has had problems with their sleds, especially first year models. All 4 of the sled manufacturers make a good product today and no one is immune from having a few problems. If you're telling us stormbringr1, that you've never had a problem with your sled, you either never ride it or your lieing. I'm guessing the latter.

mr_freeze

Here we go again... I had might as well place my $.02 in as well. It just depends what type of riding you do. They all have there areas where they excell, and fall short. I prefer to do primarily trail riding. For me Yamaha makes the most all around refined product. I judge this off of owning all four brands at one time or another, the manufacturers I see getting towed down the trail most frequently, and actual facts from other high mileage riders.

stormbringr1

Harvest is the big winner. '05 RX1. 4000 miles...runs like a top. The front suspension needed tweaking to drop the COG and stiffen up the springs/sway bar when I bought it new and since dialing it in to the aggressive way I ride...not a single issue. Sorry mspease...no need to lie when the truth doesn't hurt, eh?
happy.gif

olsmann

I have owned all 4 brands and can tell you I have had trouble with all 4. Its completly useless to argure about it. I could sit here for days and list the troubles i have had with each manufacture. Quite honestly, I think all 4 need to do a little better job with quality. and stormbringer, I had many probs with my yamaha when i had it. It was no better than any other sled.