Arctic Cat Recalls Snowmobiles Due to Fire Hazard

Firecatguy

Stormbringr1
you are bending the rules of this site!!!!

If you like to get into a long discussion on whats better THIS WOULD BE THE WRONG PLACE FOR THAT!!!

I'm glad you like your yammi, I also come from a yammi family have had them all thru the years..

How is there race program going!!

olsmann

stormbrinr It was an 07 attack, just sold it last jan with 6500 miles. And im not bashing yamaha or any other brand, but i had just as many issues with that sled as any other of manufactures i have owned. Me and my wife put on a ton of miles and we each get a new sled every other year whhich means we buy 1 new sled a year. We always try to try a different model or brand each time. No One, I repeat NO ONE Will ever make a successful argument that one brand is that much better than another. Just because you happen to have not had troubles doesnt mean that yamaha is better. They all have there nagging problems, they all have had good models and they have all had models that were disasters! some people have good luck some do not. I will tell you its kinda sad how bad the quality really is in all 4 brands compared to what we pay for these things. Everyone on this site can go on and on and on about how the sled they have is superior to any other brand, and everybody here can tell 25 stories about how they have towed so many X brand sleds home over the years. I have seen 2 sleds 1 serial # apart, do the same exact maintenece and ride the same miles and one sled ends up being total garbage and the other one being the best sled ever. Brand loyalty is funny and I believe it skews people opinions.

polarisrider1

Some people bought AMC cars. Does that make it right?? Junk is junk. For the money ALL sleds should be free of major defects at release.

stormbringr1

I couldn't disagree more, olsmann...

Yes...every company can have their isolated lemons...but overall quality of a manufacturer of anything goes back to what degree they prioritize making quality and reliable products... Different manufacturers prioritize quality higher or lower on the scale--and that is reflected through their recall rate, warranty repair rates, retention of value, customer satisfaction etc etc...

Dodge has whole model lines that are utter junk out there in the field. So correspondingly you want to apply the logic that because Toyota/Honda have isolated lemons out there in the field as well--that Toyota/Honda are no better in terms of overall quality? Sorry--that logic doesn't hold water...

I have no brand loyalty--to anything. I don't care where it's made or by whom. If it's the best quality overall on the market at a reasonable price--I buy it. If it's junk...I don't want it any any price... Simple as that...

Generally speaking--consumers vote with their green. There's a very good reason why Yammi is taking over the sled market...and it's because they make a premium quality product that resulted in a paradigm shift in the whole industry to 4-stroke...and everybody else is just playing catch-up now.

It wasn't that long ago when nobody believed that a performance 4-stroke sled could be produced at a weight/price that could be commercially viable... Then came the RX1--and eyes were opened WIDE...

Finally, I've been in the Cat factory... You wouldn't catch me on one...

S

skylar

Well said Olsmann.

I have owned all 4 brands, I am one of the lucky ones, I seem to have had good luck with all my sleds. Well, except that 1988 Cougar, what a piece of crap. LOL. But, they have all had minor issues.

2007 Poo RMK 600, 5236 miles on it so far, coolant hose was rubbing up against the motor mount, rubbed a small hole in hose, but I saw it right away and fixed it. The recalls and updates were all done, not on my dime. No problems with the motor at all.

2005 Doo Renegade 600sdi, I think that had between 4500-6000 miles on it when I sold it. New rings and pistons in it at 2000 miles, my dime, and then again it needed to be done when I sold it.
Carb boots were junk after 3000 miles, had to be replaced, my dime.

2001 Yammy SX700R, 5500 miles on that when I totaled it. Really no issues with that sled at all, had to put new head gaskets in it, but, I had peeled them to raise compression, so that was my fault.

2000 ZR600, 5000 or so miles on that when I sold it. Busted piston skirt around 3500 miles, had to rebuild the clutch every season, new bulkhead, oops, that was my fault too. LOL.

1998 ZR600, 3500 miles when I traded it in. Don't recall any major issues with that sled. Just rebuild the clutch every year.

1995 ZR580, can't remember the mileage on that one, rebuild clutched every every year, toasted a piston on that one too.

1993 EXT580Z, memory is failing. LOL.

1988 Cougar 500, don't want to talk about it.

For those of you who have said the reliability isn't what it should be for what we pay, I agree.
One thing, that to me is very cool, is the info that is available on the internet. Sure, you have to wade through some crap to get to the reliable info, but it is worth it. My buddy owns an 05 900 RMK. Talk about issues, lol, but, with the info that is available over at snowest concerning that sled, it is very easy to figure out an issue. Coming up with the money is the hard part.
happy.gif

Brand bashing has always existed, and always will. To me, it is just a huge waste of time. But, to some people, they live for it.
happy.gif

lvr1000

An 05 with 4000 miles, that is not even broke in yet, you shouldn't have had any problems.

Last sled I sold had 23,000 miles and sled before that 16,500 miles

olsmann

"yammi is taking over the sled market"
The above quote is why arguing over the internet about what sled is better is an utter waste of time. If a person has a good expierence with a brand its the the best there is! if they have a bad expierence they bash away. I have had both good and bad with all 4. Im not sure that yamaha is taking over the sled market though?

stormbringr1

They're not? Take a look at the sales trending profile, Olsmann...

You act like I made all this sheet up because I ride a Yammi... You just don't get it... I ride a Yammi because of the facts...I don't twist the facts to suit me because I ride a Yammi...

This is a dog that isn't wagged by his tail...
happy.gif

alwaysright

stormbringer - is the cat issue an isolated issue or do they have this oil line issue with all of the sleds. Just curious what you thought since you seem to have all the answers.

stormbringr1

Here's your answer--alwaysright...

The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall of Arctic Cat snowmobiles due to a fire hazard.

About 3,000 Model Year 2009 Arctic Cat Z1 Turbo, Z1 Turbo Sno Pro and TZ1 Turbo snowmobiles have the potential to leak oil, which can pose a fire hazard, the commission said in a statement.

It's obviously a design flaw/component failure related to these specific turbo models where they're not holding the seal... They're doing their quality testing in the field on the pocket of the consumer... Same as it ever was for marginal companies like this, eh? I'm reminded of Doo and all the litany of problems they've had due to rushing product to market without proper testing. For example, how'd you like to have plunked $12K+ down on a Mach and having chunks of the clutch flywheel being sent like missiles into your buddies. Not cool.
happy.gif

alwaysright

Yes, I read the post, thanks....
My point was that this was an isolated issue and does not speak to the quality of the other AC products. Not like some of the others who have issues with an entire chassis that could be a much bigger issue. I agree with olsmann, they all SUCK!

olsmann

We get it, stormbringer, Yamaha is #1 and we will all be riding them some day. But for now Im quite glad I sold mine. Once again and for the last time NO ONE can make a sucessfull argurement that one brand is better than another. However you can keep trying. Does Yam do certain thing better then the other 3 Sure! But so does cat, poo and doo. Everything is a trade off with these machines. Saying that one brand is across the board better then the other and that they are gonna take over the sled market is ridiculous. Certain things might be more important to you and yamaha fits you better based on your priorties. The yamaha I had was a good sled but had just as many annoying probs as any other sled. And it was reliable but my back still hurts from lifting it out of the snow. So for me that was a trade off. Could you make the arguremet that yamaha has a very strong and reliable 4 stroke motor, sure. But could you say it gets the best mileage or make the most power? NO way. Could you say they have the best suspension? that depends on the riding you do, Could you say they make the lighest sled NO CHANCE This is not to say Yamaha makes a bad machine. But It is by no way a one size fits all company that is leaps and bounds any better than anyone else. I have worked in the snowmobile industry for many years and I can tell you sales and reliability trends shift from one manu to the other all the time. Im glad you have found the perfect sled for you, but that doesnt mean its perfect for everyone. This will be my last post in this thread, I will never convice you that yamaha isnt the best. And you will never convince me that one brand is overall superior to any other. I for one am glad there are 4 different brands to choose from. And I hope they all succeeed. I have friends that work at 2 of them and I want them to keep their jobs!

frnash

This reminds me of the world of software development (computers), always driven by the urgency of getting a product to market, to get the revenue stream going, never mind whether it works or not:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

"There's never enough time to do it right the fist time, but all the rest of your life to fix it!"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>