Auto experts: oil seepage

jjj70095

Went and got my 6 month oil change today and they said there is "oil seeping heavily from front and passenger side of engine, also seeping between engine and transmission", and "driver side cvaxel is seeping", plus new tie rods are needed. The car is a Ford Edge 2014 with 105k miles on it. They need another appointment (it is next Wed) to analyze the oil seepage issue and put on new tie rods.

They said it is still ok to drive for now. Just how serious is this issue? I do not see any drips on pavement after I park. I have to make some errands to Rhinelander, and Manitowish Waters this week from Minocqua.

Last edited:

jjj70095

No, never have had to add oil. No problems with car so far. Bought it used 2 years ago with 90k miles on it. No problems at all and have changed oil and have car inspected every 6 months. Did oil change today at dealer, and was surprised at all the problems they found. And they did the 6 month inspection in December with no problems at all. I did put in new brakes and tires when I purchased the car 2 years ago.

Last edited:

whitedust

That’s really weird leaking oil but no drops on pavement and don’t add oil. Can you see it on the engine although crooks have been known to squirt oil to mimic a leak.

saber1

With those miles its normal to have oil here and there is it the 3,5 v6 if your not adding oil than i wouldnt worry about it as far as the other stuff i would take it somewhere else for second opinion.

garageguy

I took an older car in for a tire alignment was told the lower control arms with pressed in ball joints were shot and tie rods were shot, wanted 1400 dollars to repair.
I bought the parts on line and did the work myself. The old parts looked fine. I took them to a reputable front end repair shop and had them inspected, there was nothing wrong with them.
The chain store alignment shop was taking me for a ride and trying to con me into a un needed repair.
When your car leaves a puddle then its time to be concerned.

mezz

Oil seepage issue could be from passenger side valve cover gasket. I had a similar issue with a vehicle, it never left a drop on the ground & wasn't ever low on oil. I would take it elsewhere to get another opinion on it though.

jjj70095

I stopped by a garage in Rhinelander and the mechanic slid under the car for quick inspection. He could see drips sticking to pieces of the underneath of the car and was able to put his finger on some oil to show me the leak(s). He said it may be a seal and said the car was good to the car appointment next Wed. He did check the oil supply and it was full.

No oil drip hits the ground.

Last edited:

dynoski

Check PCV valve or replace yourself, only a few bucks. If plugged or not operating pressure will
build up in crankcase and will cause oil seeping. Drive it and outsmart this socalled mechanic.
Even if you have to put in oil every month it's not worth spending thousands for a little oil
seeping, drive it and keep an eye on oil level.

jjj70095

I dont know anything about PCV or engines. The mechanic yesterday is a different mechanic than the one that is going to fix it next Wed.
I had jiffy lube in minocqua look at it quickly today and they said oil is all over and the source of it could be different things.....but i was all right till next Wed

whitedust

PCV valves usually cause a bunch of carbon to expel when you punch it when clogged. Cheap fix. I would want a clear definition of where oil is coming from before any repair. You don’t want some moron tearing your engine apart when you just may need a valve cover tightened. Be carful

jjj70095

They have to replace tie rods for sure, and I will get an estimate of what it will cost to fix the oil issue. Hope it is not a major issue. Next wednesday is the appointment.

I don't have any vehicle that doesn't have some sort of oil seeping. don't worry about it and don't use full synthetic as it can be a contributer to oil seeping. I still drive an 06 mercury milan with 197xxx miles on it. I put amsoil in it around 40xxx miles,, started leaking oil then and hasn't stop since putting the amsoil in I switched back to syn blend oil and it slowed the leaks down, It does drip when i park it. Not bashing Amsoil as I do sell the oil and use it in other applications...

pclark

I don't have any vehicle that doesn't have some sort of oil seeping. don't worry about it and don't use full synthetic as it can be a contributer to oil seeping. I still drive an 06 mercury milan with 197xxx miles on it. I put amsoil in it around 40xxx miles,, started leaking oil then and hasn't stop since putting the amsoil in I switched back to syn blend oil and it slowed the leaks down, It does drip when i park it. Not bashing Amsoil as I do sell the oil and use it in other applications...
I made that same mistake many years ago on an older vehicle. I put a soil gear line in my axles (recommended viscosity) and it blew out the seals. I only use synthetic in newer vehicles. Not bashing Amsoil either, just my experience.

jjj70095

The inspection today shows I need one new oil pan gasket. They will call me with estimate tomorrow.
I stopped at another garage on way home and they want $1k to install a new oil pan gasket. They said it is not cheap.

Last edited:

mezz

Glad to hear it's not worse, hard to believe a price like that, but, considering where we are at today with the price of parts not to mention the labor charge, it's not earth shattering. There is probably more labor hours involved than the cost of the actual part. If you trust the shop, no need to check further.

m8man

The inspection today shows I need one new oil pan gasket. They will call me with estimate tomorrow.
I stopped at another garage on way home and they want $1k to install a new oil pan gasket. They said it is not cheap.
I had a new oil pan($125) and gasket installed for under $500 and that was about 6 months ago