Auto experts: oil seepage

whitedust

I wouldn’t change an oil pan gasket that doesn’t drip on the ground no ROI on that. Wait it out see if it gets bad measure how much oil you use between oil changes.

m8man

It was at Allouez Automotive, in keweenaw county in the Yoop.

now I could be off by a bit but I had a ton of other work done too, so maybe that had something to do w it, I spent many thousands on my pops old dodge for my son.

i‘lol look for the receipt

saber1

Would have to agree no reason to change oil pan gasket if it is not dripping on the ground or having to add oil all the time.About a year ago one of those quick oil change places also told me I had some wet spots on my oil pan ,that was 20k miles ago never had to add oil its normal like i said earlier i would save your money when something serious needs repaired .

jjj70095

This is unbelievable. They called with their extimate.

New oil pan gasket - cost $35 LABOR 5.6 hours
front timing chain cover gaskey- free LABOR 9,9 hours

$2k estimate to fix.............(Marganthaler)

whitedust

This is unbelievable. They called with their extimate.

New oil pan gasket - cost $35 LABOR 5.6 hours
front timing chain cover gaskey- free LABOR 9,9 hours

$2k estimate to fix.............(Marganthaler)
That’s exactly why you don’t let them mess with it. As said no ROI on that repair when doesn’t drip you don’t add oil and probably still would seep after repair. Move on with your life check your oil once in a while.

Reactions: C W

jjj70095

I talked with another garage and they are skeptical of the diagnosis. They said just keep eye on oil and keep driving until drops actually are seen on the ground. They said they can look at it for a second opinion in July, because he said he has never seen a "leak" due to a gasket.

m8man

I had my oil pan changes cuz the guy noticed some seeping when they changed a tranny. Gasket was ok but he said it looked sketchy and seemed super thin and rusty in the center of the pan so I said do it.

lofsfire

I personally think you're good like others have said just keeping an eye on things and making sure doesn't get worse... Out of curiosity who does your oil changes?

Have you ever degreased your engine... Might be worth cleaning everything up real well getting all that oil off and seeing how long it takes to come back.

One of the oil change places by me had a special going on so I stopped in and had the oil changed on my newest car 2021 Buick Enclave 22,000 mi. The guy that changed the oil tells me I've got some kind of major oil leak... This particular guy didn't know how many miles were on the car... He had me come down into the pit to take a look for myself... I'll admit for the first second I looked at it was like where the hell did this come from... Then it hit me quickly I spray all my vehicles with fluid film and really soak them well. I did this one back in December... We had a good laugh about it!

Point is if somebody spilled some oil or something at one point maybe it's hanging around there. And if you clean it all off and it doesn't come back you may have saved a lot of money...

jjj70095

Marganthaler of Minocqua does my oil change and inspection every 6 months. They noticed the leak last week. They did not see anything in Decemeber for that oil change. I have put cardboard under my car in my garage and there is no drip at all on cardboard. None. But I can see some oil like stains on bottom of engine.
I did hear a drop type noise after i pull in garage and turned off engine.

Another garage in town has me down for an inspection on July 8th. Second opinion.

pclark

Getting cars worked on is always a shit show. You’re lucky to find honest people in this world, if you do be good to them and they will treat you right. It’s been that way forever in my opinion. My local guy even lets me dump my old oil in his used oil tank, he might be heating his garage with it, fine by me. Otherwise I would have to travel 50 minutes to Vilas County landfill and pay to dispose of it.