Auto experts: oil seepage

garageguy

Until your vehicle leaves puddles until your needing to add oil bi weekly. There is nothing to worry about. Drive it. You can find oil stains and gunk under any motor.

bouncer

I wouldn't let a quick lube place put their eyes on my vehicle much less touch it.
The major dealerships all do oil changes at completive prices.

Nothing is wrong with your car if you're not adding any oil between oil changes.
Weepage is a normal wicking thru the gasket material. Save your money !

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until your vehicle leaves puddles until your needing to add oil bi weekly. There is nothing to worry about. Drive it. You can find oil stains and gunk under any motor.
Drive through any large parking lot, you'll find an oil stain under most parking stalls. As to the "gouging factor", I've had better luck with the small town/local mechanics. They might value the customer and their reputation more than a dealer, whereby you're just a number.

mezz

The only time I use the dealership for auto repair is for warranty work. All other services & maintenance is done with a local mechanic/service station. Trustworthy with good work at a good price. Treat them well & you get treated well in return, very accomodating & friends for life.

jjj70095

Thanks for all the feedback. We will know for sure what is going on in 2 weeks. I got a quart of oil in back seat just in case it starts dripping profusely or oil light comes on. Engine is super quiet when running.

ddhanna

Thanks for all the feedback. We will know for sure what is going on in 2 weeks. I got a quart of oil in back seat just in case it starts dripping profusely or oil light comes on. Engine is super quiet when running.
What happens in 2 weeks?

jjj70095

I am having a mechanic at a small garage look at it......he says do not trust Marganthaler because he says he has never seen a gasket causing a leak...and that is the earliest he can look at it....he is backed up with work till then.

whitedust

No worries pan or valve cover gaskets never leak profusely they weep and simple tightening often shuts them down for years. I wouldn’t tighten yours if pan not a big problem and may distort the seal valve cover yes.

ddhanna

I am having a mechanic at a small garage look at it......he says do not trust Marganthaler because he says he has never seen a gasket causing a leak...and that is the earliest he can look at it....he is backed up with work till then.
Never seen a gasket causing a leak? That's what they do when they fail. 2 weeks just to look at it, wow. Glad I work on my own stuff.

whitedust

Never seen a gasket causing a leak? That's what they do when they fail. 2 weeks just to look at it, wow. Glad I work on my
That’s been my experience up north too especially if a lift is needed whatever is on the lift stays there until repair is completed. Time and distance is always a problem up north and can be very frustrating.

garageguy

Perhaps an electric vehicle is the answer here. No pesky oil, slowly creeping out from non critical locations, causing unsightly stains to the underside of the motor,

jjj70095

EV are not cost effective at this point. We are still many years away when all of us will be driving an EV. Hertz rent a car returned all their fleet EV's because they were not cost effective.

jjj70095

The mechanic today wrote the following after doing an inspection ($50).

"I found some oil residual between the trans and the engine, may be rear main, oil pan or both. I would just monitor the the leak as it is slight and it can become expensive to repair. I also cleaned off the area. "

He also said all engines leak to some point. So he echoes what a lot of you have said. Just keep driving it and monitor for puddles, etc

garageguy

Drive it till the wheels come off!!!

It will tell you when it needs attention, by leaving reminders on your driveway

eao

Go walk around Walmart parking lot, its full of oil stains from leaking vehicles. We had a f150 (fleet 4x4) at work and one day I was following Steve back from Watersmeet and I thought it started to rain (misting) until I turned on the wipers and oil was smeared on the windshield. Took to right to Furd dealer and they found the oil pan had rusted out (3 yrs old truck, 70,000 miles) and had been leaking for sometime. Turns out in cost cutting, the stopped painting the 5.0L engines.