Backcountry vs. Renegade

crskidoo

Just looking for someones input on a backcountry. I had a renegade so I know how they handle on and off the trail. I'm currently looking at a backcountry and I see that they are geared like a summit. I suspect the difference in gearing would make the sled slower on top end. Is this true and how much? (I'm not looking for a racer I just want to know the difference) The backcountry in comparison had a 1.75 inch track vs. the renegade with a 1.25. How does the 1.75 handle on concrete? For instance does the lug tend to bend over while getting to and from the pump therefore loosing traction. I have heard of this happening. Basically looking for someone that has a backcountry to fill me in on there likes and dislikes. Thanks for the info. Chris

Marty P

Crskidoo,

Hmmmm, I have ridden the Renegades since 02’, in 04’ started modifying Renegades into what Ski Doo now calls the “Backcountry”, in answer to your questions:

Yes, as you know gearing is different, quicker acceleration but about ten mph slower on top end. Like indicated though quicker out of the hole, personally I’ll take quicker.

The 1.75 vs. 1.25, for the short distance on low snow not much of an issue however, road riding and icy trails not a good combination. Bottom line, you need plenty of snow for the 1.75, no low snow trail riding allowed and yes ice is an issue but common sense rules apply. Also, Backcountry track is 1” wider (15” x 1.25 vs. 16” x 1.75)

The biggest difference is the ski stance, with the Backcountry stance being significantly narrower they are much more prone to inside ski lift in corners, controllable and predictable, but it still slows you down a bit on the trails vs. the standard Renegade.

Bottom line: Renegade 85% trail, 15% off trail…Backcountry 70% off trail 30% on trail, the question is, what kind of riding you are looking to do.

p.s. I am patiently waiting for my 11’ Backcountry X 800 E-tec, I literally have ridden every Ski Doo they make and for U.P. riding the Backcountry is tough to beat.

Last edited:

mride460

Crskidoo,

Hmmmm, I have ridden the Renegades since 02’, in 04’ started modifying Renegades into what Ski Doo now calls the “Backcountry”, in answer to your questions:

Yes, as you know gearing is different, quicker acceleration but about ten mph slower on top end. Like indicated though quicker out of the hole, personally I’ll take quicker.

The 1.75 vs. 1.25, for the short distance on low snow not much of an issue however, road riding and icy trails not good a good combination. Bottom line, you need plenty of snow for the 1.75, no low snow trail riding allowed and yes ice is an issue but common sense rules apply. Also, Backcountry track is 1” wider (15” x 1.25 vs. 16” x 1.75)

The biggest difference is the ski stance, with the Backcountry stance being significantly narrower they are much more prone to inside ski lift in corners, controllable and predictable, but it still slows you down a bit on the trails vs. the standard Renegade.

Bottom line: Renegade 85% trail, 15% off trail…Backcountry 70% off trail 30% on trail, the question is, what kind of riding you are looking to do.

p.s. I am patiently waiting for my 11’ Backcountry X 800 E-tec, I literally have ridden every Ski Doo they make and for U.P. riding the Backcountry is tough to beat.

Couldn't be explained any better!!!! (ski stance is huge on the trail)

misty_pines

The Backcountry also had the 6.9 Pilot skis vs. the 5.7 Pilot skis on the regular Renegade giving the Backcountry better front end flotation. As Marty indicated, the BC has a narrower ski stance. The 2010 and 2011 Backcountry sleds have an adjustible ski stance from 38"-40" (center to center) vs. the 42" ski stance for the regular gade.

crskidoo

Thanks for the reply fellas! I always like to hear from someone in the know. When changing models you never know what to believe from mags. and dealers.... I think the BC is a good choice for me because if I want I can buy a 1.25 track and 25/45 gears and chain and WAA LAA I have a renegade with wider skis and a taller riser that fits me.

indy_500

Thanks for the reply fellas! I always like to hear from someone in the know. When changing models you never know what to believe from mags. and dealers.... I think the BC is a good choice for me because if I want I can buy a 1.25 track and 25/45 gears and chain and WAA LAA I have a renegade with wider skis and a taller riser that fits me.

I think you'll like the backcountry gearing more, better for wheelies :)

Marty P

crskidoo,

"Dealers" you never know what they will tell you...wait a minute; I was a dealer (past tense)...lol. I do know exactly what you mean, especially with certain dealers; it’s same with the mags they are afraid to step on a mfg toes so they are very vanilla.

renegade600

I have an '09 Renegade 600 Etech...the sleds needs a deeper track for any kind of deep snow IMO...I really love the sled though.

Last winter out west I rented a '10 600 Eteck Summit for a week, and the deeper track and lower gearing wereawesome for deep snow, BUT, I could only get the Summit to about 80-85 where the gade will go about a 100......I think I would personally like the Backcountry, but the funds for a new sled right now just are not there...