Bayfield/Valhalla

woodside

Forest road and old logging road riding is fantastic with up to 10" of fresh powder. There is up to two feet total which our cottage guests really enjoyed.

The groomed trails varied from fair to very good but we spent very little time on them. TR1 west of Bayfield towards Cornie has not been cleared yet nor groomed so advise staying off.

We have lots of availability at our cottages so come on up. www.woodsidecottages.com.
IMG_3602[1].jpg IMG_3615[1].jpg IMG_3607[1].jpg IMG_3604[1].jpg

Last edited:

90s

I ride the forest roads mainly when there. I don't mind that the forest roads are sometimes blocked by trees, but at times I get on the trail--why does the club wait until the season is well under way to brush the trail. I realize that some areas are wet, but what about the other areas. Woodside maybe you could respond.

woodside

Thanks for the concern.

There was lots of rain, ice then heavy wet snow in late November and early to mid December which did a major number on the trees and branches. Thus it was very difficult to get out after that with the necessary equipment. The groomer and volunteers, without the drag, spent a couple of weeks just clearing before they even could start grooming after New Years. TR1 west of Bayfield is not cleared yet and still has wet places and may not get groomed this Winter.

My brother, who lives in Minnesota, and I did a ton of brushing and signing in Oct-Nov. as well as other club members from Bayfield and Washburn. My wife also helped. But there was no way we were able to go out with an ATV/chain saw/etc or even a 4x4 after all the ice and heavy snow in December.

Many of the branches and trees will hang over the trails and Forest Roads for the rest of the Winter as they are basically frozen in place. Once the groomer catches up with the grooming after the fresh snow, I guess they will continue to brush.

The Forest Service and County need to do more clearing on the edges of many of the trails. That is out of hands of the clubs plus finding the manpower is a major challenge as the Bayfield and Washburn club memberships are very small. Plus its a very big area.

I know the area clubs would welcome riders from out of the area to come up for a weekend and give a hand. Send me a PM or call at 715-779-5600 if anyone is interested this Spring or Fall.

Plus I encourage riders to contact the Forest Service and County to let them know that the trails need to be brushed and widened.

groomerdriver

.......plus finding the manpower is a major challenge as the Bayfield and Washburn club memberships are very small. Plus its a very big area.

This is a growing problem in many areas of the upper Midwest. Clubs are getting smaller and smaller and the average age of the people doing the work is getting older and older.

The trails don't magically get put in and taken all by themselves by the trail fairy. The WI Trail Pass isn't going to fix this issue either.

Highflyer

This is a growing problem in many areas of the upper Midwest. Clubs are getting smaller and smaller and the average age of the people doing the work is getting older and older.

The trails don't magically get put in and taken all by themselves by the trail fairy. The WI Trail Pass isn't going to fix this issue either.

Do you feel some of this is because many of the young local people in these areas are not sticking around? Its seems must of them tend to move away because they can't find the right jobs around town. That is at least part of problem I feel.

etakk7

Agreed, but I think the club memberships are going up in a lot of Wisconsin due to the new trail pass regulation. But, that does not necessarily add to the "active" membership. People need to realize that their trail pass money does not buy them the labor of clearing trails. I live in the Twin Cities but spent two days this fall with the local club (BRR) clearing trails.

xcr440

This is probably why you guys ran into such an issue your first trip around Finland. Some of these trails are still not cleared from all the downed brush and trees. Not to mention the ground not being close to frozen then yet.

groomerdriver

Do you feel some of this is because many of the young local people in these areas are not sticking around? Its seems must of them tend to move away because they can't find the right jobs around town. That is at least part of problem I feel.

Agree, plus what young people are around don't seem to be that into snowmobiling.

- - - Updated - - -

This is probably why you guys ran into such an issue your first trip around Finland. Some of these trails are still not cleared from all the downed brush and trees. Not to mention the ground not being close to frozen then yet.

No argument here. Lot's of trails, lot's of work to do and not enough people that want to do it.

woodside

IMG_3622[1].jpg

Back to trail reports. Freshly groomed trail yesterday west of Bayfield. Very good condition. Good base and the groomer has about 8" of snow from last weekend to work with. Trails should be in fair to very good condition by the weekend. Fair being sections of TR31N west of Bayfield and TR1. FR's are lots of fun right now.

xcsp

Forest road and old logging road riding is fantastic with up to 10" of fresh powder. There is up to two feet total which our cottage guests really enjoyed.

The groomed trails varied from fair to very good but we spent very little time on them. TR1 west of Bayfield towards Cornie has not been cleared yet nor groomed so advise staying off.

We have lots of availability at our cottages so come on up. www.woodsidecottages.

www.woodsidecottages.com

Woodside, was going to send you message about the link, but your in box is full?

woodside

You are welcome. Conditions were pretty harsh out there and its easy to get turned around. With daylight running out, I was glad to get you back on track.

90s

can't help you with fall brushing, but I make it a point to stop at least 5 times on my ride in the Valhalla area to cut face slappers, throw junk off the trail, forest rds, etc. I brush approx. 40 miles of trail with my tractor/brush hog at my cost for the club I belong to.

bcorn

can't help you with fall brushing, but I make it a point to stop at least 5 times on my ride in the Valhalla area to cut face slappers, throw junk off the trail, forest rds, etc. I brush approx. 40 miles of trail with my tractor/brush hog at my cost for the club I belong to.

Do what you can do its all appreciated!

woodside

We picked up around 5" here in Bayfield so that will help the groomers out and the over all condition of the trails. And some fresh powder on the FR's and logging roads for our guests and me to play in this weekend!!! Plus John's forecast looks very good.

We hope to do some brushing on TR1 tomorrow. Heard that TR1 from Cornie towards Herbster is finally open.

www.woodsidecottages.com

Last edited:

Big Whiskey

Getting reading to come up from Hayward to Herpster this weekend.been watching weather...looks like you guys got a nice run of show. How are trails looking as far as grooming???? Wanted to make the run Friday or Saturday???

woodside

The Valhalla groomer told me that everything has been groomed after last weekend except TR1 west of Bayfield towards Cornie. We brushed a section of TR1 today so it should be ready for the groomer. Except a few hanging branches on TR1 as it was a huge job to get the brushing done.

We got 1-2" today and more in the forecast through the weekend.

I heard that the trails took a pounding last weekend south to the Hwy2 area/Iron River and south. However, I assume they have been groomed as well.

Here is the Bayfield County Trail Report posted today http://www.snowtracks.com/reporter/wisconsin/bayfield-county-wisconsin/

We have availability at our cottages this weekend and will be riding with our cottage guests. Come up and join us!! wwwwoodsidecottages.com

Last edited: