Bayfield/Valhalla

90s

Rode from Pub & Grub mon & tues(8&9 Jan). rode FR mon, all good to very good. late in the day decided to go to Herbster, trail not groomed to Herbster, in town the trail is re-routed, trail is routed between trees that are just wide enough to get the sled thru, then stakes set a littler wider than the sled. roads are plowed down to gravel. back tracked to the trail & decided to go to Corny. trail not groomed to Corny. It appears both areas don't care that much for snowmobiles. Tues rode the trails,, took 31N to 1E with the intention of going to red Cliff, came to a jct on Weidinger rd with no arrow indicating which way to go, backed to the jct of 1/31, E on 1 to 51S to Valhalla, 31S to Iron river, the snow got a little thinner near IR, but still rideable. food & fuel at IR t, then E on 2 to Ino & then north on the forest roads for the rest of the day. all forest rds were very good. trail 31N, 1W from the jct of !/31, & 51S were very good. I heard that the grooming to Red Cliff has been terminated.

mngolf4

Rode from Brule to Port Wing then to Valhalla yesterday. Little dicey navigating around Port Wing, but found our way. All in all snow was good.

fast325it

I used to sled in the Brule, Lake Nabagamon, Iron River and Bayfield areas often and loved stopping in Cornucopia for an Elsie Burger. I stopped by this page to check on conditions because I'd like to make a trip to the area with the family next weekend. It's too bad the local businesses aren't taking the sledders and trail conditions seriously. I'm not sure I'd like to male the trip if the trail conditions aren't that great because grooming is no longer done.

snowchief

Just finished up a day and a half up in iron river, little over 300 miles rode 50/50 trail, forest roads, all in all good riding to the north of 2 rode down to Barnes Drummond gets thinner down there, nice to have first ride in only met handful of sleds

mngolf4

Agree with Snowchief, much better snow north of 2. We rode to Delta Diner today then south through Barnes, took 17 and 217 to Gordon, these trails where excellent for mid-day Saturday, thru Solon Springs back to Brule over to Deep Lake Lodge for supper. Except for a few small areas all trails where good.

LoveMyDobe

I used to sled in the Brule, Lake Nabagamon, Iron River and Bayfield areas often and loved stopping in Cornucopia for an Elsie Burger. I stopped by this page to check on conditions because I'd like to make a trip to the area with the family next weekend. It's too bad the local businesses aren't taking the sledders and trail conditions seriously. I'm not sure I'd like to male the trip if the trail conditions aren't that great because grooming is no longer done.

There is only one place open now in Corny, Nikki's(formally Fish Lips), heard it is only open Friday Saturday and Sunday at 4pm. Every business in Iron River area are wonderful and the trails are also good.

improved700

Had a great weekend with the crew from Woodside. First time there, and certainly will not be the last.
Everyone in the group was great to ride with, and had a great time! Jonathan and Laura have an amazing place.
Will be back with a machine that's not broken down and riding partner that is not sick with the flu!!

GO VIKES!!!!!
Kev

candyman

Had a great weekend with the crew from Woodside. First time there, and certainly will not be the last.
Everyone in the group was great to ride with, and had a great time! Jonathan and Laura have an amazing place.
Will be back with a machine that's not broken down and riding partner that is not sick with the flu!!

GO VIKES!!!!!
Kev

Great meeting you this weekend, Kevin! So glad that you enjoyed your time here at Woodside! Hope you can return soon!
Here are a few pics from the ride(s), three days and 15 sledders:

rlspol

We ended up with about 350 miles in the area, didn't ride 31S at all from Valhalla, for the most part all was good. Like other comments on this thread heading south for sure less snow. Looked like they where going to get more today up that way.

woodside

We had very good riding Friday-Monday in the Bayfield/Valhalla area with friends and Woodside Cottage guests. FR's are good to very good and most sections of the trails are the same. Jackie and I rode with Laura and Jonathon from www.woodsidecottages.com Monday afternoon just prior to the heavy LES that added about 6" to the snow depth.

There are short sections of trails where logging is taking place so expect those areas to be plowed: TR1 east of Henken Rd, TR51 past Jodi Rd and TR41 east of TR19. Plus some of the FR's between TR19 and TR40 are plowed for logging as well as Henken Rd and Echo Valley Rd north of Star Route.

With the fresh snow from yesterday, conditions will be excellent. IMG_3085.JPG IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3087.JPG

kernsy

Yesterday we rode from Drummond up through Delta over to Washburn then up to Valhalla and as far north as Red Cliff then dropped back down through Valhalla area to Iron River. From Iron River we dropped 31 over to 18 then 17 South into Barnes, ending back in Drummond. The fire roads are all pretty well tracked up in Valhalla but the trails were holding up just as well as they can. Traffic is taking its toll any direction you go out of Iron River for the first 5 to 10 miles. You may have excellent timing as they're forecasting some pretty good snow here Sunday night into Tuesday morning.

LoveMyDobe

Tons of of traffic today, need snow and time for the groomers to whip it into shape. Your call, but snow is on the way, but not the BIG snow as forecasted earlier.

rlspol

Tons of of traffic today, need snow and time for the groomers to whip it into shape. Your call, but snow is on the way, but not the BIG snow as forecasted earlier.

LoveMyDobe, I am seeing almost a foot forcast for your area, have they backed off that?

Thanks

woodside

Yep, maybe 1" here for Bayfield too. Bummer!

Trails we rode yesterday were 31N of Valhalla, fair to good; TR19 and TR 40/41 very good east of TR1. See pic of TR19 about 3pm Saturday which was excellent.. 31N area towards Bayfield did not get as much LES Monday compared to further west and southwest. All the FR's were good to very good and most had 6-8" of fresh snow on the side. We found a few that had only seen a sled or two since the LES Monday. (See pic)

Even an inch or two will give the groomer fresh snow to work with to fill in after the moderate amount of sleds this weekend. IMG_3090.JPG IMG_3094.JPG