Best sled for wife

greggk

Looking for input on a used sled for my wife. I am thinking 2-4 year old sled with electric start, light weight (she is only 120 lbs) easy to handle, low mechanical needs. We are not speed demons but like trail riding and twisties in the woods. I am thinking 2 stroke for the weight but like the better gas mileage with the 4 stroke and the noise factor. We have a good Cat dealer near us and I like to buy something that can be easily maintained and serviced. We have a Polaris dealer near as well that is ok but he seems to be light on the parts inventory. The last couple of years we rode Yami 4 stroke 2 up with our kids and the sled was too heavy and hard for her to handle. Any input from the JD experts? Thanks, Gregg

latebraker

I would think a polaris 600iq would be a good fit. Good performance,reliabilty,the down-side with that sled would be the gas mileage I suppose. i am sure you could pick a 2 year old one with 2,00 miles or less for 4500 or so. whats the budget? Maybe a rush?I am sure the others will chime in with there opinions! Good luck either way

Last edited:

snow_monkey

Looking for input on a used sled for my wife. I am thinking 2-4 year old sled with electric start, light weight (she is only 120 lbs) easy to handle, low mechanical needs. We are not speed demons but like trail riding and twisties in the woods. I am thinking 2 stroke for the weight but like the better gas mileage with the 4 stroke and the noise factor. We have a good Cat dealer near us and I like to buy something that can be easily maintained and serviced. We have a Polaris dealer near as well that is ok but he seems to be light on the parts inventory. The last couple of years we rode Yami 4 stroke 2 up with our kids and the sled was too heavy and hard for her to handle. Any input from the JD experts? Thanks, Gregg

supersport fan cooled polaris!

windingtrailgal

I have a 700 fusion - my bro in law found it from a dealer from MN on e-bay. I've ridden heavy beasts like an '94 800 storm up to this. Weight isn't nearly the issue that it once was due to suspension and overall handling - just don't have to lean and manhandle a sled of today like ya did back in the day. My fusion has a nice smooth ride and handles in the trails nicely. It was strange for me getting used to the newer style sled but I do like it now.

Maybe let her test ride a few styles before you/she makes up her mind. I have no experience with any other manufacturers so just putting my 2 cents worth in on what I ride.

mojo

if you can find ski doo 600 ace.handles real nice and great fuel fun sled.but 2011 used i guess you be around 5500.00.

lvr1000

My wife owns a Z1 Jag '07 and has put over 8000miles so far. She's 128 & 50+ and has no problems with 125+ mile days for 6 days strait . She calls it "fingertip steering". As long as you don't get stuck, you'll never know how heavy it is.

D

Deleted member 10829

I have a 2006 Polaris 500 XCSP that I'm going to sell if interested. Very reliable and easy to work on. Lighter sled and easy to handle. Anything in the older chassis is a very nice ride and easy to work on.

coldbear

Agree

X2 on the GSX 500SS. Great handling,fuel econ.,electric start, and ride. But I would consider a sled that had the"best dealer friendly environment" for your area. It makes a huge difference when the Dealer will work long hrs. on your sled getting it ready for a trip. Years ago,I blew a chaincase 4 days before our stag trip only to be told that I had to get in line like everyone else for his[dealer] service. I told the wife I had an emergency and I had to buy another sled. She asked what was I going to buy? I said another color sled. Bought it the next day. Waited on chaincase parts for 2 weeks, had it fixed under warranty, sold it on ebay for a loss. But I now have a Dealer that I appreciate because of his committment to snowmobilers. He also makes a great cup of coffee.

fatdaddy

don't buy her what you think shes wants, buy her what she wants. Make sure it has a big windshield, good hand warmers and e start, after that your good to go. Also make sure she has good boots and gloves and a nice helmet. If she's happy your happy, trust me on this one.

indy_500

I have a 2006 Polaris 500 XCSP that I'm going to sell if interested. Very reliable and easy to work on. Lighter sled and easy to handle. Anything in the older chassis is a very nice ride and easy to work on.

x2 most reliable, cheap on price, and cheap on gas sled you can get AND it's easy to work on.

Coldbear, your wife might rather have a sit down sled like this, OR she might rather have a rider-forward sled. It depends on the person. My dad doesn't want to get rid of his 99 xc sp 700 with how low to the ground he sits. It has stiffer torsion springs, and shock revalved for big guy like him, so the xtra-10 actually does him good. The sp seat sits lower than non-sp seat and he likes that too. Just depends, my dads old school and thats the way hes staying. Have her test drive different sleds, it makes a world of difference.

barneymn

My wife rides on 06 Artic Cat 500 Sabercat EFI with electric start and reverse...she rides all day long and can hang with the boys in the twistys. Excellent choice in my opinion..all I ever done was put new carbides and slides on it..4000+ miles and still runs like new!

CatsOnly

03-present z570/f570 fan cooled. Very reliable engine and has best power for fan cooled, very easy and cheaper to maintain.

I do agree make her happy n youll be happy, you dont want to hear anybitching on the trails

scott_l

don't buy her what you think shes wants, buy her what she wants. Make sure it has a big windshield, good hand warmers and e start, after that your good to go. Also make sure she has good boots and gloves and a nice helmet. If she's happy your happy, trust me on this one.

the best answer I have read so far!

Hoosier

My wife rides on 06 Artic Cat 500 Sabercat EFI with electric start and reverse...she rides all day long and can hang with the boys in the twistys. Excellent choice in my opinion..all I ever done was put new carbides and slides on it..4000+ miles and still runs like new!

These sleds have thinner tunnels and seats which might be good too.

edmarino

I will recieve a lot of boo's about this but here goes, an 03 or 04 Polaris Fronter classic 4stoke engine, electric start, 20 miles per gallon about fifty miles per hour. easy steering also has M 10 suspention system. Good wind protection and great hand warmers. Not a very popular sled so if you can find one, should be able to get it for very little. Nobody liked it because it was consider to slow but fast enough for my wife who still rides it at age 70 in the twisties. We usually put on 150 miles a day. Good luck in your hunt.

mezz

You don't have t be brand specific in your choice as there are many models from the big 3 out there that would fill the bill. As stated above, make her happy & you wil be happy, however a word of caution, if you have more experience in the sport, then you have to be able to put some reasonable logic into the choice, it's not like settling on a color for a room in the house, its a matter of experience as well as functionality. Whether it has electric start or not is irrelivant, if you have to pull the cord for her, so beit. Pick one that she feels comfortable with & one that you have a comfort level with, this has to be a mutual agreement.-Mezz

teamblue

Yamaha Vector, My wife is 5'2" and 120lbs and rides her Apex with the best of them. We avg. 150 miles a day. 3440 miles for the 10/11 season and all we did was add gas, now I have to change oil, filter and grease and were ready for next season. No dealer needed