Black River Falls, WI

whitehorse

Effective Friday, February 3rd, 2017, all Clark County ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Public lands will open for both ATV & Snowmobile traffic. We encourage responsible riding as trail conditions may vary. ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Private lands will remain closed until further notice.

whitehorse

3.jpg 1.JPG 2.JPG
Pics from the main corridor trail between Hatfield and Neillsville.
Put on 115 miles today from Neillsville to Rock Dam over to Greenwood, Loyal, Granton....down towards Hatfield and back to Wildcat Supper Club....Trails are great in the woods and fair to good in open field areas.

pauli18c

What are the chances something gets opened back up after this snow comes through? Calling for 8-12" in Willard

Last edited:
Per Jackson Cty's website. Pretty lame, as they were to get more than 3-8. Sounds like a government response. Wait till Monday when it's going to be 40 to evaluate if the trails should open. Their last sentence is a killer....

Jackson County is anticipating a snow storm to hit sometime Friday into Saturday. Snow fall is predicted to be between 3-8 inches. Please be advised we will NOT be opening any trails this weekend. We will evaluate everything on Monday and groom if possible and look to open then.

Also-we will not be plowing in any of the Parks until Monday. If you plan to head out to Wazee the roads could be snow covered.

Stay safe and enjoy a snow filled weekend!

whitehorse

The Neillsville area received about 8" of snow over night, wet and heavy snow. They say more snow overnight, so who knows.

If I hear something I will post it but with that said, all creeks and swamps are open, maybe some riding on forest roads in the county land?

The Neillsville area received about 8" of snow over night, wet and heavy snow. They say more snow overnight, so who knows.

If I hear something I will post it but with that said, all creeks and swamps are open, maybe some riding on forest roads in the county land?

This is why I was surprised to hear Jackson wouldn't even bother looking to Monday. All those ATV trails..... They don't need a base. Just snow. I usually put in at Millston anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Clark Cty threw in the towel as well.......... sad

The recent snowfall has yielded no changes for the upcoming weekend with our ATV and Snowmobile trails. Clark County ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Private lands are closed. Clark County ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Public Lands will remain open for ATV use only and will remain closed for all Snowmobile traffic. Please note that UTV’s are not allowed on the Clark County ATV Trail system during the winter months (November 1- May 14).

xcr440

It has to be a tough decision, but if you think about it, not really. Anything south of Hwy 8, Hwy 29 for sure, must have ZERO frost in the ground right now, nothing. Everything would be tore to you know what after about 15-20 sleds, if that, in all low areas.

Maybe if we get some cold and another shot of snow, maybe.

whitehorse

It doesn't surprise me that they are not opening the trails. We received so much rain on Monday with all rivers and creeks flooding that it's really a mess out there. I figured our season was done but you can always hope!

I hope they get more snow in the UP so I can go one more time. This snow in WI (at least where I live) for the rest of the year is just a waste of good snow, save it for next year.

pauli18c

Wow trails are actually open but not being groomed. Why wouldn't they open them over the weekend :frown:

"Clark County ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Private lands are closed. Clark County ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Public Lands are open for ATV & Snowmobile use. Due to the quality of snow, saturated ground & lack of frost these trails will not be groomed. Riders are reminded to operate their machines in a responsible manner while using the trails as spring like conditions are present and they will vary. Please note that UTV’s are not allowed on the Clark County ATV Trail system during the winter months (November 1- May 14)."

Wow trails are actually open but not being groomed. Why wouldn't they open them over the weekend :frown:

"Clark County ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Private lands are closed. Clark County ATV & Snowmobile Trails located on Public Lands are open for ATV & Snowmobile use. Due to the quality of snow, saturated ground & lack of frost these trails will not be groomed. Riders are reminded to operate their machines in a responsible manner while using the trails as spring like conditions are present and they will vary. Please note that UTV’s are not allowed on the Clark County ATV Trail system during the winter months (November 1- May 14)."

I can't comment of Clark, but I know a lot of Jackson cty is operated by the cty themselves. They probably didn't give a craap to go out on Friday and evaluate if they were going to open. It's easier to just say nah....Better luck next year.

02Bracing

Clark trails are county owned trails as well, all of the club trails are still closed. The county trails are all gravel base atv trails. Clark got a little more snow than Black River did also. Eau Claire opened for the weekend and we put 60 miles on saturday. No grooming, 75% fresh powder and 25% mud and water and one polaris buried in a creek bottom. They closed them this morning.