Blowing head lights

I have a`01 ZR 800
First ride of the year I had a blown head light. No big deal, don`t touch the bulb, replace. Next day the new bulb is blown, I`m thinking bulb must of been bad, take it back get an exchange. This bulb lasts probably 70 miles over the course of 2 or 3 rides, but blew when I was warming it up and gave it a shot of throttle as I went to shut the garage door.
All the other bulbs work fine, dash, tail, brake. I gave the wiring a quick glance but didn`t see any obvious problems.
Anybody had this problem cause I don`t have a clue?

L

lenny

I would say it's the voltage regulator. Start sled and see what you have for voltage coming out of it.

yup, multi meter will give you good info. A friend has a doo 550f and had has blown his lights 3 times in 2 years. He even melted most the rubber off his hand grip and burnt his hand. I didn't believe he burnt his hand but it heated up so fast he yanked his hand off and had a red mark on his palm, grip is gone except for the wires and a little rubber. Something was causing the voltage regulator to go bad. We couldn't find a ground from he motor to the chassis so we added one. I haven't seen him for a while now so I don't now if it has lasted, we did replace the VR again before the new ground wire and that was the 4Th regulator on the sled

indy_500

voltage regulator, i've had to replace the voltage regulator on the lats 5 sleds i/we' ve owned and each and every one has different symptoms. One of them all the lights flickered on and off, the other all the lights were very dim, and the other was blowing headlight bulbs like crazy and so on and so forth.

Last edited:

ezra

my bud just had the same thing on a 04 f7 this week.it turned out to be he blew a belt and some how a belt chunk broke a wire coming from voltage regulator