Boat life

polarisrider1

Seven days and I will be officially homeless (sold the house) looking for another or will build. Mean time plan on spending next 4 months or so living in a confined space with my wife and 2 dogs. The Galley table will consist of our entire operation to run 2 companies off from. it will be tight. wife will use back of her car as her closet and I will live out of duffle bags. We did get a nearby storage locker for the motorcycles. We sold off half a 3400 sq.ft. house full of stuff we did not really need. Stuffed a storage locker to the rafters with the good stuff. 2 lockers (total) that are for business use also, bingo cheaper than property taxes and are tax deductable. She still kept about 60 purses and 100 prs. of shoes. I have 1 pr. of tennis shoes and 1 pr. of Harley boots and only one wallet (go figure). As long as we have internet (boat can't leave the dock) we can work. Refined the tools in the truck as to what is important for work. As long as everyone realizes it will be business as usual I suspect this will work out for the summer. Post office box will work for snail mail.

Last edited:

racerx

Hope you have AC on the boat otherwise you can be in for some uncomfortable nights. We slept on the our boat multiple times during the summer and when it got warmer it was tough but after the 1st couple times i installed fans to cool things off. Actually it was not the hot days that were bad it was the humid days. But it was definitely a lot of fun.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Hope you have AC on the boat otherwise you can be in for some uncomfortable nights. We slept on the our boat multiple times during the summer and when it got warmer it was tough but after the 1st couple times i installed fans to cool things off. Actually it was not the hot days that were bad it was the humid days. But it was definitely a lot of fun.
yup on the air.

polarisrider1

Sounds like its time for a bigger boat!
Wife has a storage unit full of purses, belts and shoes. Insane amounts of clothes. Her answer to my saying this is insane was, "I don't have a $12,000 snowmobile that is just for your out west trips with the guys". She has a point and I found her a storage locker close by so she can "rotate" Accessories. Life goes on.

polarisrider1

Did not know boat living would be so tough. Went to set up a PO Box today since mail boxes don't exist in the boat world. The lady said, "You need 2 pcs of ID for each name on the box and I need your address." Well Duh!!! I would not need a PO Box if I had an address, I told her. She went into that governmental mental state on me, I had to circle around the long line at least 5 times to get a PO Box from her, I gave her my old address. She said to me, you need to get your drivers license address changed to your new address also. What part of no address did she not get. So I made up an address for her. It is: Drawbridge 1 Harbor Drive, Grand Haven Mi.49 bla bla bla. told her it was snug living under the bridge with a Goose, 2 ravens and a racoon. She was not amused. Next:
Went to the SOS to register a new boat I just bought to hold the over flow of the first boat. Never said a thing about moving and they left my license and address alone. Got right out of there (they just want money and could care less if you live under a bridge down by the river. When do I get to kick back and fish????? We are going to up grade storage locker #2 to something a bit larger.

Dave_B

Please Wayne, you're life will be OK! Don't harm yourself! It's OK to own two boats, a trailer up north in an enclosed pole barn, a storage unit, a spot under the Grand Haven lift bridge, a new sled and an endless supply of whiskey! You will be OK! I promise! Don't let those little people with jobs get to you! Just give them you're money and they will go away!!

polarisrider1

Please Wayne, you're life will be OK! Don't harm yourself! It's OK to own two boats, a trailer up north in an enclosed pole barn, a storage unit, a spot under the Grand Haven lift bridge, a new sled and an endless supply of whiskey! You will be OK! I promise! Don't let those little people with jobs get to you! Just give them you're money and they will go away!!
Hey is that any way to treat the homeless (me) :)

polarisrider1

i would have just rented a apartment for a year ur going thru way too much **** in this process

It's all part of the adventure. two dogs and apartment living not so sure. then I would have to move furniture another time into and out of the apartment. I do have a plan "B" that is 118 miles north that I can go to. Moms house is 7 miles south (could never do that again and stay sane) and a friend has offered thier finished basement to move in and thats just 5 miles from the boat and 50 miles from Grand Rapids were I mostly work. I am thinking of just taking a mini retirement for the entire summer, then I can stay up north and on the boat kinda like I normally do. work at getting the new house built (half the size and better location) and orchestrate that since I do have a builders license. I sold the house since it was way under used and way big.. mainly was a place to do laundry and park the over flow of vehicles and toys.

Last edited:

frnash

Did not know boat living would be so tough. Went to set up a PO Box today since mail boxes don't exist in the boat world. The lady said, "You need 2 pcs of ID for each name on the box and I need your address." Well Duh!!! I would not need a PO Box if I had an address, I told her. She went into that governmental mental state on me, I had to circle around the long line at least 5 times to get a PO Box from her, I gave her my old address. She said to me, you need to get your drivers license address changed to your new address also. What part of no address did she not get. So I made up an address for her. It is: Drawbridge 1 Harbor Drive, Grand Haven Mi.49 bla bla bla. told her it was snug living under the bridge with a Goose, 2 ravens and a racoon. She was not amused. Next:
Went to the SOS to register a new boat I just bought to hold the over flow of the first boat. Never said a thing about moving and they left my license and address alone. Got right out of there (they just want money and could care less if you live under a bridge down by the river. When do I get to kick back and fish????? We are going to up grade storage locker #2 to something a bit larger.
"… that governmental mental state …" Ya just gotta luv it!

I have often wondered what folks do if they are full time RV'ers, cruisin' the country in their $250,000 motor home (or perhaps their $3,000,000! (click →) Motor Mansion?) but with no permanent "home address", no real estate (and no real estate taxes!), can't get a P.O. Box, or even a (click →) "Private Mail Box"without a "permanent home address", "can't register to vote without a "permanent home address", etc.

polarisrider1

last thing out the door is this computer. today is the day. Marina is filling up fast with boats been using most all of their 12 dumpsters (spreading it our) to get rid of the tail end of the move. It will be interesting to see who kills who off first in tight quarters.

polarisrider1

Okay got slower than dial up speed. Getting a big antenna in the am from a computer guy, mounting it on the dock 15 feet in the air. That shou;d get me about a dozen more un secured internet connections. Who Hoo! I will post a pic of my new office when it gets light out. Officially a "Boat Person" who lives next to a draw bridge down by the river. Now to figure out how to get one of those big side by side fridges with ice maker in the door on board.

700classic

last thing out the door is this computer. today is the day. Marina is filling up fast with boats been using most all of their 12 dumpsters (spreading it our) to get rid of the tail end of the move. It will be interesting to see who kills who off first in tight quarters.
Well at least the tight quarters will speed up the house hunting/ building process.

polarisrider1

Well at least the tight quarters will speed up the house hunting/ building process.

I hope the land deal part would speed up, I am waiting on an updated survey. This 1-2 Mps as compared to the 54 Mps computer speed is like going back to real slow dial up. Got deer swimming behind the boat, it woke the dogs up!!!!

polarisrider1

Boat life in the computer Dept. is much improved. For those who know me, I invented a new external Antenna for boating with a computer that is below deck. (yes, I come up with the rare odd ball things that make life better). My antenna is water proof and quadruples the signal strength that a standard internal wifi card with antenna offers up. It is also a "plug and Play" USB port ready to go with a real simple software disc that my boating neighbor wrote in about 15 minutes. Dang how do I do it???? So after a day of testing I think marketing it will be next. Between Staples and Home depot I got all the parts and pcs. Goal was to make a marine internet antenna that looks pro and actually works. bingo. Who would of thunk. I work hard to not work hard.

Last edited: