Bought gas at Krupps 12/10/11 and screwed 4 sleds within 40 miles

eao

Ethanol was likely the culprit and I think is was coincidence it happened when it did. Probably started when the sleds where parked last spring and came to a head when it did.

phase_separation_900.jpg

rmkking

All this talk about gas, tanks, water in the gas, injectors, which station to get gas, strudel, Pasties, and phase seperation. It was all summed up in the first comment in the thread. He said " Arctic Cat" thats the problem !! All the Polaris and Ski-doos were just fine. LOL Just kidding Just kidding. I've always bought my gas at Krupps and I've never had a problem as a matter of fact I would say 99 out of 100 times I get gas up there its at Krupp's love that place.

snake

yep,now that some time has passed,and them fellars that had started this thread,I'm curious of what there findings were and if they're still blameing fuel? been pretty quiet, HMMMM??????

dopp

I always drain my tank dry in the spring
i try to fill my tank at night after riding, so i dont get the condensation from a partly empty tank
and the only time i ever got water in my carb was when i filled the tank during a snow storm(blowing snow)
i think it went right in the top with the fuel

eao

I was in Superior Wis on Tuesday this week and stopped at a BP truck stop to fuel up. As I was filling up the GMC I noticed a label on the pump warning, to the best of my recollection, that ethanol blended fuels should not be used in small engines, boat motors etc and the only fuel that should be used is the premium which did not contain ethanol, at this station. Wisconsin law might require this label (or the station is protecting themselves from liability by forewarning motorists) because it also stated something to the effect that Premium fuel was not to be used except in vehicles that were not specifically required by the oem and by those vehicles as mentioned below.

The following piston engine applications should not use ethanol blended gasoline: (this was not on the pump, found this online)

• Any 2 cycle engine used in tools, watercraft, snowmobiles, etc., or small 4 cycle engines.
  • Any engines used in an emergency stationary engine application like a generator or a pump, especially in a humid climate.
  • All watercraft. Ethanol blended gasoline should never be used in a marine environment.
  • Antique and classic cars and classic motorcycles.
  • All aircraft.
The fact that is was used and nothing ever happened is not proof of future problems or undetected damage already caused (carbon build up from the fuel).

Many new vehicles have computer systems that sense and correct for high ethanol content. Small engines and most power sports equipment are not programmed to detect this and a lean burn situation results.

If you live in a state without a mandatory ethanol blending law, you have no exemptions, ethanol will eventually be blended into all of your unleaded gasoline and there is no requirement in EISA 2007 to label gas pumps with ethanol content. Michigan has no law that I can find as of yet and states that do, list exemptions and require that fuel pumps be so marked to be able to avoid ethanol in vehicles mentioned above and provide a means to punish those that use the non-ethanol fuel in vehicles that are supposed to use it.

So the bottom line, in Michigan you are never sure the fuel you are buying is ethanol free.

Last edited:

Donald Weis

I just saw something about the question of bad gas at the beginning of this. So i was just saying that some sleds out there dont last long and the machz 1000 is known for that. experienced it last year on a trip. sorry for posting that

hangman1176

Water Content Slip---------available at stations

I run well over 1000 gallons of fuel in my boat during the summer. Running to places like Isle Royale I make certain I will not have a fuel issue. A few things I have learned.

Some stations offer non-eth fuel in all grades. Most stations carry 87 octane with ethanol so that they can keep their prices in line with neighboring stations to get the customer in the door to buy the goodies.

They then offer non-ethanol in 93 octane at a "premium price". They then offer 89 octane which most people would buy due to price but don't because they think "who buys that, it must be old gas". What I have found out is this:

Each station is different. Most stations offer 87 in ethanol as mentioned above. 89 octane is not always a seperate tank. In most newer stations it combines the 87 and the 95 tanks to give you a 5% ethanol.

Prior to filling my boat I "ALWAYS" request a slip from the attendent showing the water content in the tanks. By law, this is something that each staion has. This IS available and is easy as getting a receipt for a pop purchase.

supermario1

h2o in the fuel.

I had the same problem last year. Just after filling up sled i shut it off and entered gas station. when i tried to restart it wouldn't. did the usual new plugs and still a no go. my sled is a 2007 f8 . I purchased a can of either and thats the only way it would start. it would run ok but something was still wrong. it would run fine for about 40 miles then run like crap. I took it to a local shop and they had it for a weekend and couldn't find the problem. When I finally got it home something told me to look in the gas tank. wow!!!!! i saw water on the bottom. I dumped the fuel and had 3 level of fuel and water mix. the bottom was water the middle was a ethanol fuel mix. it was a murky color and finally tho top layer was good fuel. i was the only guy using premium of the group. the guys with regular were fine.

supermario1

Ethanol was likely the culprit and I think is was coincidence it happened when it did. Probably started when the sleds where parked last spring and came to a head when it did.

phase_separation_900.jpg
this is what my bottle looked like but with another layer of ethanol between the water and fuel.

snake

I have seen all this with working on boats for 28 years. the thing I want to say here is this=we use a water finding paste and it DOES NOT work on ethynol fuels!! not sure why,but it does not! if you pull fuel and put in a jar,it will look like water just like in the previous pics. so if a mechanic does not take a fuel sample(from the bottom of the tank) and instead uses the water finder,it aint gonna work if its ethynol!! trust me,we've tried it!

dickmsp

To the guys that had problems after getting gas at Krupps....Was this your first ride of the year? My sno mo dealer in Osseo MN is constantly reminding her customers to clean their carbs before the first ride of the season... They usually get a few customers that didn't clean their carbs and as a result have a burn down their first ride due to fuel residue from the previous season restricting the carb jets and causing too lean a mixture.. Also, I've experienced the empty fuel tank moisture condensation situation too.. Was there a big change in air temp that day? High humidity? I only use non alcohol premium and put some sea-foam in every 3rd tank or so.. so far so good.. Let us know what you found out was the problem.

qber

I have put at least 500 gallons from Krupps in my sleds over the last 10 years and have never had a problem. I did trask an engine once up near Lac La Belle with gas from a Copper Harbor station, but the gas was not the problem - I was the problem!!