Bought gas at Krupps 12/10/11 and screwed 4 sleds within 40 miles

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rode out of Houghton on 12/09 with 7 sleds with gas bought in WI. Rode to Rockland , Henry's, and back. Next Day, Filled up in Downtown Houghton and rode to twin lakes, Krupps and added 5-6 gallons average per sled, and there after lost two sleds within 30 miles, Burnt pistons and two sleds that wouldnt idle and rough starting ....THANKS KRUPPS.. My brothers sled (AC XF 800 HO) actual died after pulling twenty feet away from the pumps for no reason while pulling away, which I and my brother thought was strange. But the sled restarted and ran. Anybody that had to pull on a rope of a 1000cc sled 40 times to start will know what anger I feel...I for one will not be back.......

Maybe it was the gas from downtown Houghton? Our group filled up at Krupp's on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Both 87 and 91. The 91 was empty friday morning, 500 new gallons put in Friday around 12 noon. My buddy ran the 91 out friday around 11 am, and was the first to get the new when it arrived. 500 more gallons arrived Saturday night. No issues at all, and we had 6 of us.Can you prove the damage was from the gas bought there?

I like 600 cc sleds, easier to pull over. :)

snake

I had my '08 cfi go down last year after topping off with 93 from Krupps. bad fuel had crossed my mind (actually was the 1st thing I thought of). I am a marine tech and have seen all the crap involved with ethynol and water! sampled my fuel when I got home, and it was clean and pure. after teardown,I found an air leak! believe me,I covered all possibilities=I didnt want to happen again!! one thing that crossed my mind,was before getting fuel,I had also ran mine almost "bone dry". now on marine engines,many run whats called a vst tank,which removes vapor and air from fuel system. what I,m getting at is that if you were to run a sled like mine low on fuel,dont you think air may get in fuel system=LEAN! you have two fuel lines in tank,one feed and one return. if its low on fuel and sloshing around,how can that feed hose stay immersed at all times without sucking up some air? a carbed sled is fine cause the air just goes out the carb bowl vents,but where does it go on a cfi? the only place it could go is thru the injectors if it didnt get returned to the tank!?? many factors need to be considered! oh,and by the way,this was my first trip and I had to run 1st 20miles with prior years fuel=never again!! I will always drain for the new season and dump into car!! sorry for the lengthy babbling

snoseekr2

Trust me when i tell ya if there was a problem with there fuel , richard and sandy would be the first to post it up, cause they are good honest people! Just sayin!!!!! just my .2$ worth....

polarisrider1

Maybe it was the gas from downtown Houghton? Our group filled up at Krupp's on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Both 87 and 91. The 91 was empty friday morning, 500 new gallons put in Friday around 12 noon. My buddy ran the 91 out friday around 11 am, and was the first to get the new when it arrived. 500 more gallons arrived Saturday night. No issues at all, and we had 6 of us.Can you prove the damage was from the gas bought there?

I like 600 cc sleds, easier to pull over. :)
And how were the Strudel?

Trust me when i tell ya if there was a problem with there fuel , richard and sandy would be the first to post it up, cause they are good honest people! Just sayin!!!!! just my .2$ worth....

richard and sandy dont own the station....but yes they are amazing people and sandy would make sure to post. She did yell at our group when we told her a couple sleds burned down..."Put HEET IN THE TANKS" she said. lol i love that lady

smokinram114

i was part of the trees4traction group. i didnt loose a motor but I SAID THE WHOLE weekend i thought my sled was "pinging" like it was detonating. (2010 renegade 800r) i rode TL gas the ENTIRE time we were there (300mi) INCLUDING the first tank of 8gal on thursday.

the problem is, is there are far to many varibles to take into consideration for the first ride. old fuel from the year before (mine was emptied) dirty jets leaning it out, air leak, etc..

It was the 87 octane....I know there are many varibles when sleds go down. But My sled has water in the fuel and is currently being drained and flushed. I know where I get my fuel and I NEVER had any issuses prior..
Here is a good possibility if your sled was stored over the summer with gas in it that had a ethanol blend it may have had water already in the gas tank.This is a big problem with storeing ethanol blend gas.The guys that filed up at Krupps as soon as the gas truck left from filling the tank would have had issues if Krupps tanks had water in them.It seems to me that there was enough sleds running Krupps gas that there would have been alot more problems if there gas was bad.There is all kinds of reasons motors go down.

Dooit800

My money if it was on bad gas would have been on houghton gas being bad (thats if that was the factor was bad gas). We had a group of 5 that filled up Sat at krupps and everyones sled seemed to run fine, being a polaris and a ski doo that were still in break in period. We also had 2 other 2 strokes and a 4 stroke that ran fine. I do remember getting gas on the outskirts of houghton last year and all of the sleds ran jacked up and even one sled (a 800 dragon which was prob doomed from the start) that melted a piston/cylinder.

fish633

The problem was as you stated in post #19 "we ran the sleds bone dry the night before".You condensed moisture in the tank overnight.

doospunk

Rode out of Houghton on 12/09 with 7 sleds with gas bought in WI. Rode to Rockland , Henry's, and back. Next Day, Filled up in Downtown Houghton and rode to twin lakes, Krupps and added 5-6 gallons average per sled, and there after lost two sleds within 30 miles, Burnt pistons and two sleds that wouldnt idle and rough starting ....THANKS KRUPPS.. My brothers sled (AC XF 800 HO) actual died after pulling twenty feet away from the pumps for no reason while pulling away, which I and my brother thought was strange. But the sled restarted and ran. Anybody that had to pull on a rope of a 1000cc sled 40 times to start will know what anger I feel...I for one will not be back.......

5 of us there Thursday through Sunday. Gassed up at Krupps all weekend each day. both 87 and 92. No problems with any sleds. In fact, I was the last to suck up the remaining 2 gallons of 92 on Friday, morning, and the first to draw off of the 92 delivered a short while later. Ran all Friday, and Saturday fine. 800 XP / 600 RMK / 800 RMK / 900 RMK / 1000 M. I must add that I spoke with Deb in detail about the status of the tanks, and they've done alot to ensure the tanks are in prime condition with good filtration systems as well. They expect to require a fuel truck to restock them approx twice a day throughout the busy season, so rest assure, the stuff is not sitting.

Last edited:

bladeguy

John - I am glad you left the post. This is an important gas stop. Nobody else reported a problem. If other sleds had burned down we could have Krupps check their gas for water. After reading this thread I will continue to buy my gas at Krupps as I have for years without a problem...

frnash

The problem was as you stated in post #19 "we ran the sleds bone dry the night before".You condensed moisture in the tank overnight.

My thought exactly!

Some years ago I flew into CMX, arriving well after sunset on a very bone chilling cold night with a fierce wind blowing, soon followed by a very cold rain. This was the first time I ever failed to top off my tanks on arrival at my destination; I just wasn't about to freeze my butt off just then, thank you.

The next morning I went back to the airport to fill the tanks, but checked the sumps first. Yep, at least a half cup of water in each tank from the condensation in the near empty tanks overnight. That was also the first and only time I ever found so much as a drop of water in the fuel tank sumps, in spite of checking during every pre-flight; not just in the desert southwest, but along the California coast as well.

L

lenny

I got 89 at Krupps along with DWZ his son and old man Dave, no problems. DWZ did 400 miles I believe, so did his son, I did 125, OM Dave did 500 when it was all said and done. I would certainly say it is premature to conclude bad gas just on a hunch. You gotta think about how you word things if your not certain the cause, no offense, just sayin.

polarisrider1

Last time at Krupps I thought I bought out the entire inventory of strudel, since I knew Skylar was in town. about a half hour later the stock was totally replenished. I ate strudel all the way home (12 hr. ride).

Last edited:

markf419

if its low on fuel and sloshing around,how can that feed hose stay immersed at all times without sucking up some air? a carbed sled is fine cause the air just goes out the carb bowl vents,but where does it go on a cfi? the only place it could go is thru the injectors

That's a good question. Any automotive techs here that can answer that? I actually ran outta gas in my truck a while back. I had to crank on it a few times to get it running enough to pull off the road. Seems like it would've sucked some air, right?

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last time at Krupps I thought I bought out the entire inventory of strudel, since I knew Skylar was in town. about a half hour later the stock was totally replenished. I ate strudel all the way home (12 hr. ride).

LOL, there are ALWAYS strudels for me. Just sayin... :)

One more thing about Krupp's gas station, I have been getting gas their since 1995, summer, fall and winter, boats, atv's, sleds, I have never ever had any problems with the quality of gas there.

Dsbasecamp

I've been getting my gas there for 3 years now---o- problems
Both the Twin lakes & Toivola Fire Depts use there gas--o-problems
Just my 2 cents ( sh-t happens )

scottiking

Ya what Kris said! filled at Krupp's 12-8,9,10 with no problems! I even filled up while the tanker was dropping the fuel which normally scares me! in the old days the filters were weak and I managed a gas station and had people with cars have trouble right after a tanker was dropping fuel- it would stir up dirt and water in the tanks and alot of people would not fill till the tanker was gone for an hour to let things settle!
The filters now days are much better i believe and I filled during the drop and had no problems and it ran great!

Scottiking OUT

5 of us there Thursday through Sunday. Gassed up at Krupps all weekend each day. both 87 and 92. No problems with any sleds. In fact, I was the last to suck up the remaining 2 gallons of 92 on Friday, morning, and the first to draw off of the 92 delivered a short while later. Ran all Friday, and Saturday fine. 800 XP / 600 RMK / 800 RMK / 900 RMK / 1000 M. I must add that I spoke with Deb in detail about the status of the tanks, and they've done alot to ensure the tanks are in prime condition with good filtration systems as well. They expect to require a fuel truck to restock them approx twice a day throughout the busy season, so rest assure, the stuff is not sitting.