Canada Fishing is Back

When I heard the news about no more COVID tests, at first, I thought that maybe the article was old and dated.....LOL. That's seriously good news and should really help all of the border resorts and fishing camps. Still plenty of hard water currently though... :)

skiroule

When I heard the news about no more COVID tests, at first, I thought that maybe the article was old and dated.....LOL. That's seriously good news and should really help all of the border resorts and fishing camps. Still plenty of hard water currently though... :)

Yeah, came across Friday for the first time without a test. I’d forgotten how simple it used to be. Talking to people at the little general store, they’re really excited about the season after losing two summers.

Still 2 – 3 ft. of ice so I took ‘old reliable’ out and finished up my ice fishing season yesterday. Beautiful evening, total silence, and the Walleyes were right on time for their evening feeding. For me, it doesn’t get any better.

IMG_1534_1.jpg

whitedust

Philadelphia is considering another mask mandate due to high spread of latest variant. Imo covid will always mutate heck with masks.

pclark

Yeah, came across Friday for the first time without a test. I’d forgotten how simple it used to be. Talking to people at the little general store, they’re really excited about the season after losing two summers.

Still 2 – 3 ft. of ice so I took ‘old reliable’ out and finished up my ice fishing season yesterday. Beautiful evening, total silence, and the Walleyes were right on time for their evening feeding. For me, it doesn’t get any better.

View attachment 67211
Beautiful picture! and walleyes on the ice......We are panfishing down here in Vilas County and still have 2ft+ of ice. I looked at my records for 2021 and ice out was 4/7/21 last year and piers were in the next day, temp was 72 that day. Oh well........going to be late ice out this year.

renegade

Is this for everyone or just the vaccinated?

pclark

Nice Walleye pclark, what a beauty! That's one healthy fish. Glad you released it to maybe be caught again but equally important, to make more little Walleyes. Hats off to you for grabbing the opportunity to move to an area where you have good Walleye fishing basically out your back door (not to mention good sledding). My impression is that northern WI is also good Muskie country. The local resorts here get a lot of Muskie fishermen from there coming up here to test their skill.

You’re right about the payback on taking the time to learn the local waters. Nothing is a sure thing in fishing but my results have improved as my understanding of the fish movement patterns has increased. Of course, being able to spend a lot of time on the water doesn’t hurt either.

Nice Walleye pclark, what a beauty! That's one healthy fish. Glad you released it to maybe be caught again but equally important, to make more little Walleyes. Hats off to you for grabbing the opportunity to move to an area where you have good Walleye fishing basically out your back door (not to mention good sledding). My impression is that northern WI is also good Muskie country. The local resorts here get a lot of Muskie fishermen from there coming up here to test their skill.

You’re right about the payback on taking the time to learn the local waters. Nothing is a sure thing in fishing but my results have improved as my understanding of the fish movement patterns has increased. Of course, being able to spend a lot of time on the water doesn’t hurt eithe

pclark

You’re right about the payback on taking the time to learn the local waters. Nothing is a sure thing in fishing but my results have improved as my understanding of the fish movement patterns has increased. Of course, being able to spend a lot of time on the water doesn’t hurt either.
I forgot to show you this musky that was landed and then released right on our chain of lakes by my good buddy. He has been fishing for this elusive fish for 45 years and finally caught him last summer. This guy was 47" and healthy and my buddy was pretty ecstatic for days after he landed that beauty.

1650632924199.png

skiroule

I forgot to show you this musky that was landed and then released right on our chain of lakes by my good buddy. He has been fishing for this elusive fish for 45 years and finally caught him last summer. This guy was 47" and healthy and my buddy was pretty ecstatic for days after he landed that beauty.

View attachment 67221
Awesome!

skiroule

It probably wasn’t very well known outside of MN, or maybe even northern MN, but the entire Minnesota watershed that feeds into Lake Winnipeg, which included Lake of the Woods, experienced insanely high water levels this year. Our humble cabin was built on the water’s edge and was constructed to handle fairly high water levels but this year was just off the scale.

This was state of things for about three months. Believe it or not, all of our systems continued to operate, although the water heater and pressure tank spent most of the summer in standing water. The water has dropped about two and a half feet since this photo was taken so the dock is finally above water again.

DSC_0162_1.jpg

The fishing didn’t seem to be affected much and was solid all summer, although the Walleyes seemed to be somewhat scattered. Lately though, we’ve been able to put some serious numbers in the boat on a single stop so my sense is they are more concentrated now. Also getting some nice bonus fish: fat Perch and even some of these guys. Have to love the Crappies.

Crappie_Time_1.jpg

pclark

It probably wasn’t very well known outside of MN, or maybe even northern MN, but the entire Minnesota watershed that feeds into Lake Winnipeg, which included Lake of the Woods, experienced insanely high water levels this year. Our humble cabin was built on the water’s edge and was constructed to handle fairly high water levels but this year was just off the scale.

This was state of things for about three months. Believe it or not, all of our systems continued to operate, although the water heater and pressure tank spent most of the summer in standing water. The water has dropped about two and a half feet since this photo was taken so the dock is finally above water again.

View attachment 67384

The fishing didn’t seem to be affected much and was solid all summer, although the Walleyes seemed to be somewhat scattered. Lately though, we’ve been able to put some serious numbers in the boat on a single stop so my sense is they are more concentrated now. Also getting some nice bonus fish: fat Perch and even some of these guys. Have to love the Crappies.

View attachment 67385
Holy High Water! Yes, you got to love those Crappies!

pclark

What a porker! Look at the coloring on that fish, beautiful. Well done and I guess I don't have to tell you how lucky you are to have world-class fresh water fishing basically right in your back yard.
Yes, we are both lucky guys to be able to enjoy the Northwoods and being on the water everyday. You live in a beautiful part of the border area, my parents used to take us on vacation to Lake Vermillion every year and my Dad would take us into the Boundary Waters on canoe trips each summer. What an experience, just wish I would have had a digital camera back then. Enjoy the rest of your summer, real fishing starts pretty soon here in Northern WI.

AND.....effective October 1st, 2022....no more ArriveCan will be required to enter Canada. No more "proof of vaccination". We are returning to "normal" border crossing between the US and Canada (for Americans). It's about time.

skiroule

Well, it only took what, a little over two years? I suspect there might be a late rush of Muskie fishermen that were holding back due to the vaccination requirement. It’s prime Muskie and Northern Pike season.

skiroule

I’m constantly amazed at the size of those fish. The Spotted Muskie is pretty cool. I had no idea you could get Muskies in the southern part of the state. I guess I always associate northern WI more with Muskies.

A lot of vehicles with Wisconsin plates up here now, I think at least a couple of the resorts have a pretty good connection with Wisconsin anglers. This bench is in the lobby of one of the local resorts.

IMG_1729_1.jpg

pclark

I’m constantly amazed at the size of those fish. The Spotted Muskie is pretty cool. I had no idea you could get Muskies in the southern part of the state. I guess I always associate northern WI more with Muskies.

A lot of vehicles with Wisconsin plates up here now, I think at least a couple of the resorts have a pretty good connection with Wisconsin anglers. This bench is in the lobby of one of the local resorts.

View attachment 67406
Pewaukee Lake is very well known as a top Musky Lake in Southern Wisconsin. I am not Musky fisherman but my Brother in law is very much so. As good as I am at walleyes he is at Muskies. I took him walleye fishing on our chain last summer and he hooked a nice musky on a jig and brought it up to the boat and we almost had a chance to net it before it jumped and snapped the line. I will say that my brother in law does use guides to help him find the muskies which is fine by me. I've been with him and had a very large follow up right to the boat where it visually looked like a trophy fish, not interested in the bait that morning. I loved it all the same but do prefer walleye fishing.