Canada Fishing is Back

pclark

Out doing a little pre-fishing today for a Walleye tournament this weekend and guess who showed up for the party. 38 degrees, wind blowing about 20, and a Muskie. Just doesn’t get any better.

View attachment 67410
Nice catch Ski Roule, he is well fed. Give you credit for being out in weather like that. That front blew into our neck of the woods during the day today, currently 38 and blowing pretty good. Walleye fishing was good last night but I'll let it warm up for a couple days before heading out again, I fish mostly at night, better success rate on walleyes.

Hoosier

Out doing a little pre-fishing today for a Walleye tournament this weekend and guess who showed up for the party. 38 degrees, wind blowing about 20, and a Muskie. Just doesn’t get any better.

View attachment 67410
Where are you at on LOTW? Would love to learn more about fishing up there. My family has done fly-in trips for decades but the prices are too steep for me.

skiroule

Where are you at on LOTW? Would love to learn more about fishing up there. My family has done fly-in trips for decades but the prices are too steep for me.
Maybe these maps will give you some idea but our lake cabin is about 40 miles NE of the Baudette/Rainy River border crossing on the small bay I've circled. It's a relatively short drive once you cross the border. As the maps show, there's a lot of fishing territory around us.
LOW_1.png

LOW_2.png

skiroule

We were in Ontario first week in Sept. Caught hundreds of Walleye. Biggest was 30” Most were 17”-24”.

View attachment 67443
Well done! Beautiful fish - I'm wondering if you were at one of the lakes further north in Ontario. That Walleye looks to have darker coloring than I typically see on Lake of the Woods. Had to be a heck of a trip, catching that many nice Walleyes.

srt20

Well done! Beautiful fish - I'm wondering if you were at one of the lakes further north in Ontario. That Walleye looks to have darker coloring than I typically see on Lake of the Woods. Had to be a heck of a trip, catching that many nice Walleyes.
Over by Timmins Ontario. It’s a fly in lake, only 2 cabins (same outfitter owns both) and 18 miles long. I’ve been there a handful of other times hunting and fishing. The outfitter owners are friends. Took guns along for bears but was a little early yet. They were on berries yet.
Honestly you get fished out after awhile. You can limit out in 20 mins if you wanted to. You can be very selective on which you want to keep to eat.

skiroule

For you hardwater guys out there:

A friend and I made our annual March trip to the Canadian side of the lake last week. Bite wasn’t as crazy as we’ve seen some springs but then, it looks and feels nothing like spring over there.

Weather was cool but mostly sunny which made for some beautiful days on the lake and the Walleyes cooperated well enough to keep us happy. I was out-fished again but that’s familiar territory for me.

This is highly recommended as a stress reliever.
IMG_2199_1.jpg

IMG_2202_1.jpg

IMG_2204_1.jpg

20230325_125931_1.jpg

wtp_22

Not looking to start a holy war here, but what are current requirements to cross in to Canada? Also, will a deferred judgement for an OWI 22 years ago prevent me from crossing?

Not looking to start a holy war here, but what are current requirements to cross in to Canada? Also, will a deferred judgement for an OWI 22 years ago prevent me from crossing?
wtp-
There are no longer any ArriveCan requirements or negative COVID tests necessary to enter Canada. Thank goodness (that was a real PITA). Just the normal proof of citizenship (a passport is obviously the easiest). As for the old OWI, that's a tougher call. I have heard of people being turned away with 15 to 20 year old infractions....and I've heard where others breezed on thru Customs. If it were me, I would call the Border Crossing you plan to enter thru and talk to a Supervisor.

snomoman

Just curious with the new requirements, do you still have to be vaccinated to enter Canada? Thanks in advance

skiroule

As someone who crosses the border regularly, the COVID restrictions of the past seem almost like a bad dream. It really makes you appreciate having things back to normal – passport or passport card, you’re in.

As far as alcohol infractions, I was told by an agent that if it has been at least 10 years, you’re considered “rehabilitated”. This is consistent with the actual policy on the government website which states:

"If you were convicted of an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years:

• You are deemed rehabilitated: at least ten years after completion of the sentence imposed.
  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: five (5) years after completion of the sentence imposed."
Steve’s advice to call the location at which you’re going to cross is good advice though. It seems that the answers you get from agents sometimes varies from one location to another.

You may even want to print out the policy page from this link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ble-canada-past-criminal-activity.html#5312E4

The Canadian resorts on Lake of the Woods are gearing up for what I think will be a banner year for them. The Walleye season doesn’t open until Saturday but yesterday I saw three rigs with Indiana plates in the public access parking lot. Think this is an indication of how the summer will go.

The Canadian resorts on Lake of the Woods are gearing up for what I think will be a banner year for them. The Walleye season doesn’t open until Saturday but yesterday I saw three rigs with Indiana plates in the public access parking lot. Think this is an indication of how the summer will go.
I agree.....and I am a little concerned that the June (especially) border "backups" will return. Nothing like driving 9 or 10 hours to sit in line to cross for 2 or 3 hours.....this seems to be an issue largely at the International Falls crossing. Regardless, fishing season is upon us! Mid-June can't arrive fast enough for me! :)