Cat/Yamy deal announced

Ronder

Arctic Cat Inc. (NASDAQ: ACAT) announced today that it has entered into an engine supply agreement with Yamaha Motor Corporation, expanding Arctic Cat’s purchase of Yamaha snowmobile engines starting in the 2014 model year. Arctic Cat initially entered into an agreement to purchase Yamaha 123cc 4-stroke engines for its youth snowmobile in 2009. This agreement has now been expanded to include select 4-stroke engines from Yamaha.

In addition to expanding the engine supply agreement with Yamaha, Arctic Cat also has expanded a co-branding agreement to build select Yamaha snowmobiles in Arctic Cat’s Thief River Falls, Minn., factory according to Yamaha’s specifications. This agreement began in 2012, with Arctic Cat building the Yamaha SRX 120 youth model snowmobile, and now will include full-size performance snowmobiles starting with model year 2014. These snowmobiles will be built to Yamaha specifications using Yamaha 4-stroke engines.

Arctic Cat’s Snow Division Vice President and General Manager Brad Darling said, “The engine purchase agreement with Yamaha, combined with the engines that we plan to manufacture in house, will provide Arctic Cat’s customers with the most well-rounded engine choices when it comes to technology, reliability and horsepower.”

Arctic Cat’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Claude Jordan stated, “Our current Arctic Cat snowmobile chassis is renowned for its lightweight, bump control and precision handling. Combine that with the new performance engine options from Yamaha, as well as our state-of-the-art engine manufacturing facility in St. Cloud, Minnesota, and we guarantee there will be exciting years ahead for Arctic Cat enthusiasts.”

“We are pleased that our relationship with Yamaha continues to grow and with the opportunities ahead for both companies,” added Jordan. “Going forward, we believe this relationship will provide tremendous value to Arctic Cat, our customers, our dealers and our shareholders.”

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So what will they be called?

Yama-Cats? or Arcticahs?

I like Yama-Cat.

Either way, very interesting and cool news!

-John

T

Team Elkhorn

Please say they're not going to wait a model year to build an LXR model?:)
Over the years Cat has used different motor manufacturers rotarys, JLO, Kawasaki , Suzuki, I'm sure I forgot a few. They've also built sleds for Kawasaki, Rupp, Scorpion, Sno-Jet and Suzuki in the past. This is nothing new.

eagle1

10.6 gal tank, push button reverse, side exit exhaust, Artic Cat suspension with Nytro motor!!

Here's a pic.

newyamaha.jpg

T

Team Elkhorn

Side exhaust, Nytro motor?? I hope it sounds like a Nytro.:confused:

D

Deleted member 10829

I don't know what to think about this. I prefer 4 seperate OEM's. Can you get these worked on at Cat dealers now too? I know if Polaris and Ski Doo or any OEM ever joined forces, it would turn me off, big time! Does this mean Yamaha has no intention of engineering it's own new chassis? The Apex looks like the same old same old. Does Cat think they can't build their own engines? I just don't see where this makes much sense, unless one of them is not in it for the long run. Which one will be gone in 3 years?

whitedust

1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty) not liking this but could change with experience. Anybody know HP can't find on website? Nytro engine but different exhaust so who knows the numbers?

G

G

If the Viper works out look for a new chassis with an Apex motor for next year. Either that or they will just turbo the Viper and disco the Apex. Both AC and Yammi in this one with both feet. They have each taken their best and combined them. Yammi won't let AC sell this with a cheapened up chassis. This may be a first year build without flaws. Look for a huge weight reduction. No more rear exhaust. That will also get rid of the ice buildup problem Yammis have had for years. Back to a bigger gas tank. Halfways decent wind protection. Would love to sit on one.

whitedust

I don't know what to think about this. I prefer 4 seperate OEM's. Can you get these worked on at Cat dealers now too? I know if Polaris and Ski Doo or any OEM ever joined forces, it would turn me off, big time! Does this mean Yamaha has no intention of engineering it's own new chassis? The Apex looks like the same old same old. Does Cat think they can't build their own engines? I just don't see where this makes much sense, unless one of them is not in it for the long run. Which one will be gone in 3 years?

Market demand will answer that question. Looks like more competition for MXZ long & short tracks hard core bump sled + Rush then 137 tracks target Switchback Adventure & GSX with 4s engine would be my best guess @ niche. Although Polaris offers big bang for buck on non current 600 Rush & Switchbacks where MSRP of Viper is between 12-13K. I will have to test ride the Vipers to figure true market niche since I have ridden the complete non current Yamaha line of sleds & know how they handle & who would like what. So far I have an open mind to this partnership.:)

whitedust

If the Viper works out look for a new chassis with an Apex motor for next year. Either that or they will just turbo the Viper and disco the Apex. Both AC and Yammi in this one with both feet. They have each taken their best and combined them. Yammi won't let AC sell this with a cheapened up chassis. This may be a first year build without flaws. Look for a huge weight reduction. No more rear exhaust. That will also get rid of the ice buildup problem Yammis have had for years. Back to a bigger gas tank. Halfways decent wind protection. Would love to sit on one.

Agree with you Grub is this the new common platform add turbo bye-bye Apex? Vector could easily exit but would take turbo to nix the Apex. I like the viper specs but need to know more!:)

powderburner

If the Viper works out look for a new chassis with an Apex motor for next year. Either that or they will just turbo the Viper and disco the Apex.

They aren't going to turbo the "Viper." The only way I see this happening is if/when AC no longer offers the turbo'd Suzuki.

I seriously doubt AC will be launching a new chassis next year and now with Yamaha showing their hand it's unlikely they will EVER offer a new chassis of their own.

I'm thoroughly unimpressed by this "move" from Yamaha. IMO, this is Yammi beginning to exit the snowmobile market.

L

lenny

The Viper XTX looks very interesting... Wish they would post the weight

the red sled is awesome looking,,gonna have to text drive one when Pat's gets one in. With the chassis of the cat and the yammi motor, it may not get any better. Kinda looks like the union of cat and yammi is this particular viper model only? and the 120? If so, not a big deal for the rest of each's lineup. Cat has seen lots of help with motors over the years and not a big deal to see a yammi motor now. My concern was to see the cat chassis on Yammi's web site but than again like someone said, maybe it's refined and up to high standards.

EPA is forcing cleaner 2 smoke and probably easier just to invest in current 4 stroke tec and drop all the R$D cost on 2 smokes. Motox did it and it's the new norm now. Gonna be the same in sleds over time and we are seeing history being made. Now we have best chassis and best 4 stroke motor. I would be more apt to think it may force poo out of the market because they stink at 4 stroke versatility. There lagging behind and better get moving. Doo is good with there 4 strokes and chassis.

Last edited: