Catalyst pricing

dfattack

one word.....WOW!!!! and who said the writing was on the wall for Cat??? I don't think so! that much change, improvements and innovation tells me they are here to stay!! SIGN ME UP!! Badass!!!!
so are you going to get one ordered? :)

all it needs is a real windshield!

whitedust

Catalyst imo is made for 2s engines. I have no idea what happens to the Yamaha 4s stay in procross or have new 4s for the Catalyst. The Catalyst is putting composites to use which was only a theory 10 years ago to lighten up Yamaha 4s. I really want to see the catalyst and ride one too maybe M&M with Chad. Wouldn’t take a high hp 4s for the Catalyst to rip!

old abe

I watched the Supertrax review, sounds like they got this one right. They mention in the video that it does not have a drive chain or chain case - one less thing to worry about and maintain.

Like perhaps, Diamaond drive?
looking at it, doubt they could fit a 4 stroke in
Yeah, well, as it appears to be, Yamaha has been left out. Poor fitment, as sled chassis not designed for it, and, or too much weight? 3 cylinder Yam engine needs to be reversed front to back for good CG balance.

indy_500

I hate to be that guy, but I feel like the Cat faithful is overreacting about a chassis that will still be on par or behind what Poo and Doo is currently offering in both trail and mountain segments. They have been 2-3 steps behind Poo and Doo for years now, by the time 2025 rolls around and they have a bigger cc motor in this sled, they will once again be 2 steps behind, as poo and Doo are already offering factory turbo 2 strokes and electronic adjustable smart shox, and can only imagine what they will come up with in the next 2 model releases…

All the reports I’ve read, say the Ctec 600 does not keep up with a Polaris 650. I got the chance to put some good miles on my cousins Poo 650 after hopping off my 850 etec, and it felt like a 440 in comparison, so I can’t imagine the 600 will be all that impressive.

Just the perspective from a no longer brand loyal snowmobile enthusiast, that is just trying to be realistic and not a Debbie downer.

Last edited:

katden4

I think real world comparisons will be very interesting with this 600 . With out question, one thing Cat has always done is win at the top HP game. I hope they continue with their new motor, whatever it is. My gut feeling is it wont be a 4 stroke. I have nothing on that other than my own thoughts.

snoden

They have been 2-3 steps behind Poo and Doo for years now
I disagree, it's been Poo and Doo chasing Cat and the current procross front end is still better than Poo or Doo latest and greatest. Poo is getting closer, but Doo has a long way to go. Poo would be on par if they went to a better shock package, the Walker Evans 2.0 is a gimmick of a shock with their needle system and soft spring, but the A arms are level. Doo is trying hard but keep taking away from a great shock package on the KYB shocks, the preload lock system is a head scratcher. Those sleds are way to tippy. I laugh at all these big bad 850's that can't keep the skis on the ground because of poor factory set ups. Watch guys tip toe around corners and when they do finally get it straight up come the skis. I like my skis on the ground. I run a tuned 270 HP sidewinder, the last thing I want is my skis in the air. I could set it up to do wheelies all day long just not my gig. My take on these smart shocks is there OK, maybe for the casual slow riders, 30-40 mile an hour group. Doo's system is a closed loop package that reacts to what the shock needs after a hit on a bump, but it can still pack up when hitting multiple bigger bumps. Cats' system is I active giving the rider handlebar adjustments. The one thing that is missing with all these shocks is the rebound adjustment. Once you have it and understand it you won't go without it. The OEM's have taken all that away.

Last edited:

indy_500

I disagree, it's been Poo and Doo chasing Cat and the current procross front end is still better than Poo or Doo latest and greatest. Poo is getting closer, but Doo has a long way to go. Poo would be on par if they went to a better shock package, the Walker Evans 2.0 is a gimmick of a shock with their needle system and soft spring, but the A arms are level. Doo is trying hard but keep taking away from a great shock package on the KYB shocks, the preload lock system is a head scratcher. Those sleds are way to tippy. I laugh at all these big bad 850's that can't keep the skis on the ground because of poor factory set ups. Watch guys tip toe around corners and when they do finally get it straight up come the skis. I like my skis on the ground. I run a tuned 270 HP sidewinder, the last thing I want is my skis in the air. I could set it up to do wheelies all day long just not my gig. My take on these smart shocks is there OK, maybe for the casual slow riders, 30-40 mile an hour group. Doo's system is a closed loop package that reacts to what the shock needs after a hit on a bump, but it can still pack up when hitting multiple bigger bumps. Cats' system is I active giving the rider handlebar adjustments. The one thing that is missing with all these shocks is the rebound adjustment. Once you have it and understand it you won't go without it. The OEM's have taken away all that away.
While I do agree that Walker Evans and KYB shocks are nothing special, if they were chasing Cat, then why does Poo and Doo hold 3/4 of the market share? And it shows out on the trails as those 2 are by far the majority. I realize everyone has the right to their own opinion, but I think 75% of snowmobilers don’t ride Poo and Doo “just because”. For the record, I can’t get my inside ski to lift up off the ground in corners whatsoever on my G5

old abe

I disagree, it's been Poo and Doo chasing Cat and the current procross front end is still better than Poo or Doo latest and greatest. Poo is getting closer, but Doo has a long way to go. Poo would be on par if they went to a better shock package, the Walker Evans 2.0 is a gimmick of a shock with their needle system and soft spring, but the A arms are level. Doo is trying hard but keep taking away from a great shock package on the KYB shocks, the preload lock system is a head scratcher. Those sleds are way to tippy. I laugh at all these big bad 850's that can't keep the skis on the ground because of poor factory set ups. Watch guys tip toe around corners and when they do finally get it straight up come the skis. I like my skis on the ground. I run a tuned 270 HP sidewinder, the last thing I want is my skis in the air. I could set it up to do wheelies all day long just not my gig. My take on these smart shocks is there OK, maybe for the casual slow riders, 30-40 mile an hour group. Doo's system is a closed loop package that reacts to what the shock needs after a hit on a bump, but it can still pack up when hitting multiple bigger bumps. Cats' system is I active giving the rider handlebar adjustments. The one thing that is missing with all these shocks is the rebound adjustment. Once you have it and understand it you won't go without it. The OEM's have taken away all that away.
Yeah, well, perhaps that's why Doo, and Poo sell so many sleds? Got it!

dfattack

I disagree, it's been Poo and Doo chasing Cat and the current procross front end is still better than Poo or Doo latest and greatest. Poo is getting closer, but Doo has a long way to go. Poo would be on par if they went to a better shock package, the Walker Evans 2.0 is a gimmick of a shock with their needle system and soft spring, but the A arms are level. Doo is trying hard but keep taking away from a great shock package on the KYB shocks, the preload lock system is a head scratcher. Those sleds are way to tippy. I laugh at all these big bad 850's that can't keep the skis on the ground because of poor factory set ups. Watch guys tip toe around corners and when they do finally get it straight up come the skis. I like my skis on the ground. I run a tuned 270 HP sidewinder, the last thing I want is my skis in the air. I could set it up to do wheelies all day long just not my gig. My take on these smart shocks is there OK, maybe for the casual slow riders, 30-40 mile an hour group. Doo's system is a closed loop package that reacts to what the shock needs after a hit on a bump, but it can still pack up when hitting multiple bigger bumps. Cats' system is I active giving the rider handlebar adjustments. The one thing that is missing with all these shocks is the rebound adjustment. Once you have it and understand it you won't go without it. The OEM's have taken all that away.
Strong comments...

Smart Shocks ok? Do you have them? What do you ride? I can promise you I am not a 30-40 mph rider and I find them stunningly effective. I don't have to fart around with compression, rebound...nothing. Just flip a switch based on conditions. Comfort setting 80% of the time and sport when in the twisties and need less body lean and flatter corning. I respect everyone can have their own opinions but you got pretty specific with who would benefit from the smart shocks and I take issue with statement as I'm not one of them.

snoden

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I stick to what I said. Sure, Poo and Doo hold a large market share, I don't disagree, but they could be so much better. Safer for the end user with better shocks and springs. These stock shock packages are good for one set of bump frequency at one certain speed, nothing more. Smart shocks give the rider a little more compliance but still lack in returning the shock back to the snow. I like rebound on a shock package and don't mind making an adjustment if the trail changes from morning into the afternoon. I also adjust the limiter strap from a hard packed trail to a soft trail, takes 10 seconds and now a little more ski pressure. It's all about safety. I realize I'm in the minority with the sled I ride and shocks and springs I use but once you have it and understand it you will have to have it forever.

Yeah, well, as it appears to be, Yamaha has been left out. Poor fitment, as sled chassis not designed for it, and, or too much weight? 3 cylinder Yam engine needs to be reversed front to back for good CG balance.
No, it is direct belt drive. There is no gear case or chain case.

dfattack

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I stick to what I said. Sure, Poo and Doo hold a large market share, I don't disagree, but they could be so much better. Safer for the end user with better shocks and springs. These stock shock packages are good for one set of bump frequency at one certain speed, nothing more. Smart shocks give the rider a little more compliance but still lack in returning the shock back to the snow. I like rebound on a shock package and don't mind making an adjustment if the trail changes from morning into the afternoon. I also adjust the limiter strap from a hard packed trail to a soft trail, takes 10 seconds and now a little more ski pressure. It's all about safety. I realize I'm in the minority with the sled I ride and shocks and springs I use but once you have it and understand it you will have to have it forever.
What is your experience with smart shocks? How do you know these things about them?

Hoosier

Cat seems to get the under brand's cheerleaders' undies in a bunch for some reason.

I think most would agree cat has fallen behind the past 3 or 4 years (at least). Hopefully this sled gets them some market share back so that they can have funds to continue to invest. Having 2 manufacturers left isn't good for anyone. With all the Poo quality issues the past couple years I can see some guys jumping ship. Doo has definitely been on a roll.

SledTL

Majority of XC racers are on procross chassis though.....I think there is quite a few improvements that could be made so don't think I'm all rah rah Cat, but if it works then it will be great for aggressive trail riding by me.

old abe

Cat seems to get the under brand's cheerleaders' undies in a bunch for some reason.

I think most would agree cat has fallen behind the past 3 or 4 years (at least). Hopefully this sled gets them some market share back so that they can have funds to continue to invest. Having 2 manufacturers left isn't good for anyone. With all the Poo quality issues the past couple years I can see some guys jumping ship. Doo has definitely been on a roll.
I agree Hoosier. AC has had many ups, and downs, Bankruptcies, buy outs, and just many big bumps in the road difficulties. They have had many market wide innovations, racing success, a lot due to Roger Skime. However, the snowmobile mfg business today is a very hard way to make $$$. More so now than before, as it takes huge numbers. I've always had nothing but total respect for AC's history, whether good, bad, or ugly. AC for many years have had the loyalists fans, and followers in the sledding industry. So, I'm in hopes that this new Catalyst chassis, platform is a huge home run for them. It needs to be, as AC has lost way too many of their loyal riders. Once gone, they're hard to get back. However, I remember how Textron all but killed Polaris. I do beleive Textron can do whats necessary here, but will they? Yamaha is the prime example of could, but wouldn't.

nytro_rtx

3 cyl. Yamaha motor is reversed....

snoden

What is your experience with smart shocks? How do you know these things about them?
df, I have riding buddies that have the cat I act system and one that has a 22 doo with the smart shock package. We switch off to get comparisons and chat about each package. Plus were fortunate enough to have couple of shock/suspension experts that are way smarter than I am to rely on. The one common thing that everyone has done to their sled regardless of brand or shock package is to change all springs. The fronts and center get dual rate springs and the rear torsions are changed for rider weight. Listen I get the whole smart shock package but it's still just a shock with limited compression adjustment through the ecu with settings on a closed loop circuit, it's not infinite. It's not a laser reading the surface adjusting before you hit a bump it's reacting to the bump you hit and quickly. History has also shown ice/snow and electronics have not been kind to each other as well, time will tell if they have perfected it.

dfattack

df, I have riding buddies that have the cat I act system and one that has a 22 doo with the smart shock package. We switch off to get comparisons and chat about each package. Plus were fortunate enough to have couple of shock/suspension experts that are way smarter than I am to rely on. The one common thing that everyone has done to their sled regardless of brand or shock package is to change all springs. The fronts and center get dual rate springs and the rear torsions are changed for rider weight. Listen I get the whole smart shock package but it's still just a shock with limited compression adjustment through the ecu with settings on a closed loop circuit, it's not infinite. It's not a laser reading the surface adjusting before you hit a bump it's reacting to the bump you hit and quickly. History has also shown ice/snow and electronics have not been kind to each other as well, time will tell if they have perfected it.
Well so far when it's working it's pure perfection for me. I say when it's working. Last week I had the suspension fault warning on my dash an entire day. It's in the shop right now and they are diagnosing it. When it faults out the suspension defaults to the stiffest setting, which with smooth trails is fine, but rough trails would have sucked.

Just to clarify. I'm very particular too with my suspension setups. I have the Mach, plus a 2021 Renegade XRS and a 22' Grand touring. I brought all three sleds to a guy I know in Ontario who specializes in suspension because I don't know how to do it myself and don't have the time to figure it out. We travel to Ontario a lot so it's not too far out of the way for me, but it is a hassle to trailer the entire way. Rear springs are changed on all three sleds as well as limiter straps, XRS has a complete spring package (replaced stock), 2022 Grand touring I replaced springs and front shocks to Elka stage 4's from day one, along with Elka stage 3 center shock. So with all that said and knowing how much I like my smart shocks I was surprised at your comments. To each his own I guess.