Chance of a White Xmas in North Central WI?

attakman

One of our local TV stations just posted this...and unfortunately...it means we most likely wont have trails open (or lakes marked ) until after the new year...no looking good here at all 1000003187.jpg

attakman

That's good news for the yoop....but it doesn't really help us here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin....our lakes are NOT safe, and unfortunately most of our trails cross lakes....we could get a dumping today, and the trails still wouldn't open, as the ice is not good yet

indy_500

That's good news for the yoop....but it doesn't really help us here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin....our lakes are NOT safe, and unfortunately most of our trails cross lakes....we could get a dumping today, and the trails still wouldn't open, as the ice is not good yet
Here is the long range for boulder junction. They are showing 3-3.5 weeks of below zero night temps. No reason to fret. There is also plenty “northern Wisconsin” that doesn’t have many lakes… northern half of Oneida, all of vilas, and southeastern half of iron are the only 3 areas that would be highly impacted by not being able to open lake trails

I am generally a bit skeptical of accuweather as it is usually not the most accurate… But if John taught us anything, it’s to look at the positive, and this looks pretty positive to me!
IMG_6606.png

Last edited:

whitedust

Vilas is all or nothing for open and I don’t see it for this week. I think at best we can do is take it week by week and hope for the best but a big thank you to all that contributed to area conditions since we are all blind without JD Forecasts. 👍

picbn

Vilas is always hit or miss for trails being open and/or any good Christmas to New Years week, especially the lakes.

euphoric1

I've been watching the same forecast and have fingers crossed as I am heading up Jan 16th, it looks good but will have to be substantial, the cold is also a big welcome. Big difference from the doom and gloom they were painting but I also thought I had heard the El'Nino was starting to dissipate but didn't put much faith in it as I would think we would have heard more about it if it was.

mezz

Being positive is one thing, however, John also taught us not to hold too much faith in anything beyond a 3-4 day forecast. Yes, things can change, it's happened before, we'll just have to wait and see when that change can happen. I'm tired of the roller coaster, something has to give sooner or later. Accuweather??? Not a fan, just say'n.

snoden

I also thought I had heard the El'Nino was starting to dissipate
Just read an article from NOAA about the same thing. It said this current El Nino had a very good chance early on to become a super El Nino but it's trending in the opposite direction. It also stated it's likely to be gone by April and into a natural phase, we can only hope. Sure do miss John, I would love to hear his take on it.

attakman

Here is the long range for boulder junction. They are showing 3-3.5 weeks of below zero night temps. No reason to fret. There is also plenty “northern Wisconsin” that doesn’t have many lakes… northern half of Oneida, all of vilas, and southeastern half of iron are the only 3 areas that would be highly impacted by not being able to open lake trails

I am generally a bit skeptical of accuweather as it is usually not the most accurate… But if John taught us anything, it’s to look at the positive, and this looks pretty positive to me!
View attachment 69291
I hope they are right...but that's so far out...that would do wonders in changing things for the better

attakman

The main thing for me is that so many people plan come up between Christmas and New years....and at this point, especially if we get rain and 40 degree weather Friday...(and more rain Xmas eve, and Xmas day)....that will pretty much put a dagger in those plans...just not possible at this point

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being positive is one thing, however, John also taught us not to hold too much faith in anything beyond a 3-4 day forecast. Yes, things can change, it's happened before, we'll just have to wait and see when that change can happen. I'm tired of the roller coaster, something has to give sooner or later. Accuweather??? Not a fan, just say'n.
Bingo. Just this morning the U.S model went from 24" plus snow to fall from now until Jan 2nd in the yoop, to less than a foot. 6 hours between model runs.

dfattack

so true. Short term I would rather just look at the NOAA forecast if we can't have John's. Accuweather...I use their app for the radar. I've learned that after 4-5 days out I think accuweather just uses averages beyond that.

bobt

INACCUweather would be more like it.

hybrid

on a positive note we are making ice 5 degrees now
in Wisconsin we need ice before the snow
gotta freeze up the swamps and lakes first
ya some sub zero temps would be better
but gotta take what u can get
defiantly going to be a later start this year
but the snow will eventually come u just gotta think it :)
we got a little bit this morning to whiten things back up
but ya it will probably melt this weekend
f the rain I hope its snows a little to make things white again for Christmas
we need ice first
i say 50 % chance of a white Christmas here
merry Christmas and happy new year
be reckless and take chances lol
just kidding be safe out there
Cheers

Last edited:

attakman

I hate to be a the grinch....and all the positive thinking is great....but facts are facts...I would hate for somebody to trailer all the way up here just to find closed trails, and mud puddles....we are expecting rain Friday, and again Xmas eve into Xmas day..(with ZERO chance of it changing to snow, and temps staying in the 40s)...it's going to take away any of the progress we have made in the last 2 days......many clubs have already had their trails inspected, and are ready to open once the ice is safe, and we have decent snow.....it was so good to see the white thunder riders out packing trails....but then you see the forecast, and start swearing, because you know that hard work could be flushed away in 24 hours. Rain is the worst thing to have when we are making ice, and really can screw up the swampy areas (that many clubs already have packed)...I love the positive thinking, but it's really looking ugly the next 7 to 10 days.

Highflyer

I hate to be a the grinch....and all the positive thinking is great....but facts are facts...I would hate for somebody to trailer all the way up here just to find closed trails, and mud puddles....we are expecting rain Friday, and again Xmas eve into Xmas day..(with ZERO chance of it changing to snow, and temps staying in the 40s)...it's going to take away any of the progress we have made in the last 2 days......many clubs have already had their trails inspected, and are ready to open once the ice is safe, and we have decent snow.....it was so good to see the white thunder riders out packing trails....but then you see the forecast, and start swearing, because you know that hard work could be flushed away in 24 hours. Rain is the worst thing to have when we are making ice, and really can screw up the swampy areas (that many clubs already have packed)...I love the positive thinking, but it's really looking ugly the next 7 to 10 days.
We need those temps to drop next weekend 5-10 degrees. I was hoping the recent snowfall up there would impact the temps a bit but this warm front push on xmas looks strong.

As for the lakes, I don't think they are far off. The small/medium lakes held up through the warm/rain last week and refroze the last couple of days. With no snow cover they will add ice quickly again.

SledTL

I can't believe that someone would even contemplate putting sleds on a trailer for the next 10-15 days anywhere in the midwest. Its been 40s stretching up the Canadian border and 35 people had to picked up by the DNR this past weekend when an ice sheet broke away on Red Lake. Lucky if there is 7-8" on most lakes even in places where you could soon drive a truck out in past years. A 20 square mile area getting 2-3" aint gonna cut it for riding. Red line here is hwy 8, brown is zero snow.
1703003852712.png

Last edited: