Chevy 6.2L questions

goofy600

In a post yesterday from Indy500 he referenced premium gas at $4.00 a gallon, so when looking at new trucks the 6.2 requires premium fuel if that is the case that just takes that truck out of the buying equation. Currently I own a Ram with the 5.7 which if you read they recommend 89 octane which I have never done ( didn’t know until started looking at new trucks). Really have me looking at the baby diesels if I go with a 1500. Have not looked at Fords so have no thoughts at this time, but I guess with Fords having turbos should you run higher octane? Just some questions I have would love to hear Opinions or thoughts. Would also like to try to keep politics out because it’s not about how much it cost but more the difference of cost between levels of fuel and fuel mileage in the end. By the way having covid sucks when you just get 8-10” fresh snow!

pclark

I have a vehicle that uses premium and my thoughts are that they typically get a little better gas mileage than if you had a similiar vehicle using regular unleaded. I am paying $3.64 per gallon for premium at BP Station in Minocqua, WI. Best price I have found in the Northwoods. Regular unleaded now has gone up to $3.09 gallon. I am sure gas will just continue to rise throughout the year, for me, it is what it is. I didn't buy my V-8 engine vehicles because i was worried about the price of gas, I just like a V-8, they run better, and if maintained last longer, in my opinion.

As weird as this sounds I am glad it was just COVID, Cancer was floating around in my head as well but didn't want to ask. Hope you feel better and are back soon.

I had the full blown COVID in November of 2020 and it wasn't fun.

goofy600

I have a vehicle that uses premium and my thoughts are that they typically get a little better gas mileage than if you had a similiar vehicle using regular unleaded. I am paying $3.64 per gallon for premium at BP Station in Minocqua, WI. Best price I have found in the Northwoods. Regular unleaded now has gone up to $3.09 gallon. I am sure gas will just continue to rise throughout the year, for me, it is what it is. I didn't buy my V-8 engine vehicles because i was worried about the price of gas, I just like a V-8, they run better, and if maintained last longer, in my opinion.

As weird as this sounds I am glad it was just COVID, Cancer was floating around in my head as well but didn't want to ask. Hope you feel better and are back soon.

I had the full blown COVID in November of 2020 and it wasn't fun.
Wow didn’t even think of cancer when using the big C, I’m glad also just hate the word covid I didn’t want to use it but yes way better than the other. Going to go edit other posts now🤪.

old abe

In a post yesterday from Indy500 he referenced premium gas at $4.00 a gallon, so when looking at new trucks the 6.2 requires premium fuel if that is the case that just takes that truck out of the buying equation. Currently I own a Ram with the 5.7 which if you read they recommend 89 octane which I have never done ( didn’t know until started looking at new trucks). Really have me looking at the baby diesels if I go with a 1500. Have not looked at Fords so have no thoughts at this time, but I guess with Fords having turbos should you run higher octane? Just some questions I have would love to hear Opinions or thoughts. Would also like to try to keep politics out because it’s not about how much it cost but more the difference of cost between levels of fuel and fuel mileage in the end. By the way having covid sucks when you just get 8-10” fresh snow!
I had GM trucks most of my life, but no more! 5 engine failures, 5.3's, and that was enough of that. 3 friends have had 6.2 failures. And I thought the 6.2 was their better engine. My F150, with a 3.5 Ecoboost, and absolutely love it. Best vehicle I've ever had. Being a farmer, trucker, I spec out my own vehicles, big or small. I generally run E87. I tow loads of 13K # plus with no lack of power. However if I know I will be doing that, being heavily loaded, I will fill will premium. Cost per mile is about the same due to getting a bit better mpg doing so. Regular driving, E87 is best cost per mile.

tsg

I have had several GMC vehicles with a 6.2 L, the current one a 20 GMC Denali. I have ALWAYS run 87 and have had no problems whatsoever with any of them, whether warranty, service, performance, etc...! Granted I usually turn them at about 50k miles so maybe longevity could be affected, but friends of mine with 6.2L as well have run these well into the 100,000's with no problems I am aware of. And, questions or discussions of premium versus 87 issue with the 6.2 hardly ever come up. I am in southern Wisco and we have the reformulated and winter blends, so....................think that would pose more problems if any exist.

Wife's foreign vehicle with a turbo requires premium and we run it in that...not really sure why, other then I think the GM 6.2L engine is super strong, and I have heard of zero problems (nor personally experienced any problems) with them running 87. Lucky with Costco locations in the eastern part of the state which helps offset premium prices.

Just my 2 cents!

tjmaxx

The 6.2 gm is a great motor much better than the 5.3 but I'd say if you're going gas the 3.5 ecoboost is the best gas motor in a half ton. Currently I own a 3.0 ecodiesel ram bought it two weeks ago and love it. I'm a diesel guy so it fits what I want and need. I drive about 35k miles a year so mpg is important to me. I average close to 30mpg highway with the truck. Towing my 2 place clamshell with two sleds I get between 17-18mpg

indy_500

Bought a new 21 F150 w/V8 5.0 a couple months ago. Owned a 11 ecoboost and 15 ecoboost w/3.5s before that. In my research to buy the new one, I found out the compression ratio on the V8 is much higher than the ecoboost, and Ford says to run 87 in the 5.0, therefore making it unnecessary in my mind to ever run premium in an ecoboost. Although the last 2 years I owned my 15, I ran premium in it because I drove it so sparingly. I do agree with above, the ecoboost is the ticket for day to day driving and towing heavy loads. But, I went back to a V8 after having multiple longevity issues with my 15. If I were to for sure ditch my vehicles before the power train warranty is up, I would without a doubt have bought another ecoboost. So far loving my 5.0 w/10 spd. Gas mileage is 1-2 mpg better, and towing my 2 place clamshell with it, due to the 10 speed, doesn’t even feel like a trailer is back there.

As for the premium cost, I filled up at $4.09 at the Shell on the west side of St Germain last week. In my experience, BPs usually have some of the cheapest premium fuel.

Last edited:

xsledder

The 6.2 gm is a great motor much better than the 5.3 but I'd say if you're going gas the 3.5 ecoboost is the best gas motor in a half ton. Currently I own a 3.0 ecodiesel ram bought it two weeks ago and love it. I'm a diesel guy so it fits what I want and need. I drive about 35k miles a year so mpg is important to me. I average close to 30mpg highway with the truck. Towing my 2 place clamshell with two sleds I get between 17-18mpg
I have a '16 EcoDiesel and I get 18-22 mpg around town, Chicago suburbs. I tow an inline three place and get around 15 mpg with it. 72K and still loving the truck. I cannot wait for it to break in.

stormbringer

One has to play the semantics game when looking at which fuel to use in the GM 6.2L. In my manual, GM recommends 92 octane, not requires. It then continues that if detonation (knocking) is present, to switch to 92 octane fuel, and that lesser fuel may lead to decreased acceleration and MPG (none of which I have experienced).

I mix things up, sometimes using 92 (always 92 when I'm gonna tow), sometimes 89, and mostly 87 octane. 15K trouble free miles to date, but hey, I'm more concerned about the valves that are gonna drop, the subject of the latest class action suit against GM.

snobuilder

I have a '16 EcoDiesel and I get 18-22 mpg around town, Chicago suburbs. I tow an inline three place and get around 15 mpg with it. 72K and still loving the truck. I cannot wait for it to break in.
Did you have your EGR cooler recall work done?

eao

I have a 2021 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate with 6.2L engine and 10-sp trans. This is my 5th GMC with this engine since 2010 and I ALWAYS run premium 91 octane. I don't care about the price, its is what it is. IMO the 6.2L is the best engine GM makes, its in the Corvette, the hi-perf Camaro's and every GMC Yukon Denali and Cadillac Escalade since 2008 when it became the base engine in those models. I get decent mileage, in 12,500+ miles I am averaging 19.5 and 23+ highway with my 6.2L and that's running around the Keweenaw in AUTO 4 wheel drive most of the winter. 100% stock, no big tires etc and I drive the speed limit (mostly).

Last edited:

WorkHardPlayHrd

Got a 2013 GMC Denali 2 winters ago with the 6.2. Have never run premium just 87. Average 24 miles per gallon. Bought with 156,000 miles on it; now at 246,000. No issues.

legend02

Jim, your asking about Chevy’s

Here is my review on my
2016 F250 with the 6.2 gas motor and runs on 87 octane, can use E-85 but never have.

I will say it’s a gas hog , pulling the 12 ft Hybrid trailer gets under 10.

Throw the sled in the bed it gets close to 15 highway.

Avg around town is 12.

Hoosier

Anyone put high miles on the ecoboost? Wondering how they hold up. On paper that seems like a great option. Relative just bought a Chevy with their 4 cyl turbo. I didn't know they offered that.

tjmaxx

Anyone put high miles on the ecoboost? Wondering how they hold up. On paper that seems like a great option. Relative just bought a Chevy with their 4 cyl turbo. I didn't know they offered that.
I had 106k on my ecoboost when I traded it. Only issue was a water pump which was covered under warranty. Probably the best truck I've ever had

snobuilder

Bought my 2016 3.5 EB in June 2020. A SC with 8 foot box and high Leer cap. 155,000 miles when bought. It now has 185,000 so I am avg about 20,000 per year while the previous owner avg. 40,000 ish per year. No issues so far. Avg 19 mpg all around diving but that drops off in winter to around 17 mpg.

The reports of 24mpg on a 6.2L sounds like a miracle....I might have to go back to GM for my next truck....LOL

indy_500

My 1st year 2011 I ditched with 130k and literally did nothing but put gas in it. My 2015, which I traded in with 80k, I had turbo cooler line fittings leak on both sides, manifold warp and busted studs in the head, opposite side manifold not far behind, bad throttle body, and a vibration that I believe was a torque converter issue as i was having issues with it locking and unlocking, which was my final straw.