Chevy 6.2L questions

old abe

Anyone put high miles on the ecoboost? Wondering how they hold up. On paper that seems like a great option. Relative just bought a Chevy with their 4 cyl turbo. I didn't know they offered that.
My daughter in law drove her 2011 3.5 Ecoboost over 200K without issue.

John L M

I’m on my 3rd F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. Pull a 3 place in-line all daylong with no problem. Get about12 mpg pulling but the best part is 22 - 26 mpg when not pulling. Usually run them to 60,000 - 80,000 miles then trade them. Trading my 2018 with 78,000 in a few weeks as my new one should be here then. Great truck and impressive engine.

Hoosier

My daughter in law drove her 2011 3.5 Ecoboost over 200K without issue.
That's great. Wondered how they would last compared to a non-boosted v8. MPGs are impressive, at least when not towing (which would be 80% of the time for me).

old abe

That's great. Wondered how they would last compared to a non-boosted v8. MPGs are impressive, at least when not towing (which would be 80% of the time for me).
When you get in the mountains with a Eco Boost, you'll leave all the rest behind in the dust. And with no effort due to the turbo boost in the thin air. Good friend buy's the highest grade GMC Denali, with the 6.2's, and couldn't believe it. Also his mpg's tanked. Perhaps look into the 2.7 if not towing real heavy loads? I have 1 of my trucker friends who is absolutely satisfied the 2.7 Eco Boost engine. He's had several 150's with the 2.7 as he trades vehicles every 2 years.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Bought a new 21 F150 w/V8 5.0 a couple months ago. Owned a 11 ecoboost and 15 ecoboost w/3.5s before that. In my research to buy the new one, I found out the compression ratio on the V8 is much higher than the ecoboost, and Ford says to run 87 in the 5.0, therefore making it unnecessary in my mind to ever run premium in an ecoboost. Although the last 2 years I owned my 15, I ran premium in it because I drove it so sparingly. I do agree with above, the ecoboost is the ticket for day to day driving and towing heavy loads. But, I went back to a V8 after having multiple longevity issues with my 15. If I were to for sure ditch my vehicles before the power train warranty is up, I would without a doubt have bought another ecoboost. So far loving my 5.0 w/10 spd. Gas mileage is 1-2 mpg better, and towing my 2 place clamshell with it, due to the 10 speed, doesn’t even feel like a trailer is back there.

As for the premium cost, I filled up at $4.09 at the Shell on the west side of St Germain last week. In my experience, BPs usually have some of the cheapest premium fuel.
Mileage is better with the 5.0 than the ecoboost? Or is that just with towing?

indy_500

Mileage is better with the 5.0 than the ecoboost? Or is that just with towing?
Both. I’m getting .5-1 mpg better towing, and 1.5-2 mpg better on all around daily driving. That can very well be attributed to the 10 speed transmission, and not having the Max tow package axle gear ratio though.

Hoosier

Both. I’m getting .5-1 mpg better towing, and 1.5-2 mpg better on all around daily driving. That can very well be attributed to the 10 speed transmission, and not having the Max tow package axle gear ratio though.
Good to know. Seems like the 5.0 might be the way to go if you want to keep it for a lot of miles.

old abe

Good to know. Seems like the 5.0 might be the way to go if you want to keep it for a lot of miles.
Depends on what you're going to mostly use it for? Being a trucker all my life, I'll give up some mpg's, in order to have the power when needed. Such as you can take the trucker out of the truck, but you can't take the truck out of the trucker, eh. I have friends with the 5.0, and they are very much satisfied all the way around.

Hoosier

Depends on what you're going to mostly use it for? Being a trucker all my life, I'll give up some mpg's, in order to have the power when needed. Such as you can take the trucker out of the truck, but you can't take the truck out of the trucker, eh. I have friends with the 5.0, and they are very much satisfied all the way around.
Cause you are saying the ecoboost has more power when you need it for towing right? I'm just getting started into looking into a truck. I have no brand loyalty, and I tend to hold on to vehicles longer than I should.

old abe

Yes, me it's for towing. I ordered, and spec'ed out this truck for max for towing ability. The "torque" range for the Eco Boost is at a much lower RPM, than as a V-8. V-8's tend to need higher RPM to achieve there "Max Torque" range. The GM 6.2 produces 460 lb ft @ 4,100 rpm. The Ford 3.5 Eco Boost produces 470 lb ft @ 2500 rpm. A much more usable, lower, friendly rpm, eh. V-6 characteristics are this way as compared to V-8's. The Ford 5.0 produces 410 lb ft @ 4,250 rpm. The Ford 2.7 Eco Boost 400 ft lbs @ 4,000 rpm. The 5.0 V-8, is a very popular, well liked Ford truck engine. Ford trucks have so much more options to be able to spec out, than the competition, does not offer. It's not even close.

snobuilder

I will second what Old Abe said. The torque comes on early and when towing it feels somewhat effortless with loads of 5-6000# making sled towing easy peasy. When I have my skid steer/trailer on@ 10,000# + it does much better than my old 6.0 GM.
Being a GM guy I didn't believe the hype when the eco boost came out but its not just hype.

Hoosier

Yes, me it's for towing. I ordered, and spec'ed out this truck for max for towing ability. The "torque" range for the Eco Boost is at a much lower RPM, than as a V-8. V-8's tend to need higher RPM to achieve there "Max Torque" range. The GM 6.2 produces 460 lb ft @ 4,100 rpm. The Ford 3.5 Eco Boost produces 470 lb ft @ 2500 rpm. A much more usable, lower, friendly rpm, eh. V-6 characteristics are this way as compared to V-8's. The Ford 5.0 produces 410 lb ft @ 4,250 rpm. The Ford 2.7 Eco Boost 400 ft lbs @ 4,000 rpm. The 5.0 V-8, is a very popular, well liked Ford truck engine. Ford trucks have so much more options to be able to spec out, than the competition, does not offer. It's not even close.
Good info! My family and people I know always have had GM trucks and tahoes/suburbans etc so I'm not as familiar with fords. Although we did have a series of ford vans growing up!

saber1

The 3.5 eco-boost best of both worlds not bad gas mileage i average 19 mpg maybe 22 highway and has more torque for towing than the v8 owned mine for 5 yrs now did a lot of research before purchase .I believe towing anything more than 5000# the 3.5 eco is a better fit.Have 60k on it now and so far so good no issues , plus i like the interior nice fit and finish not to mention the aluminum body i am hoping it will last a lot longer rust free .Get behind the wheel of one i think you will like it.

goofy600

Ok boys you have be being a little more open to the Ford. My big reason I bought the Ram in 2014 was not happy with GM anymore and thought Ford but drove a 2014 F150 and it rode like a tank on blocks very stiff felt every bump and crack in the road. Ram was almost as smooth as one suburban. I was told they fixed ride issues with Ford so may look at them when ready. Thanks for all input.

old abe

Good info! My family and people I know always have had GM trucks and tahoes/suburbans etc so I'm not as familiar with fords. Although we did have a series of ford vans growing up!
I hear ya Hoosier! I was a GM, Chevy guy mostly, due to my Hot Rod days. But I have to say, the Ford vehicles I've had in life have hands down been the best, and most reliable. My father was right, once again. I enjoy my F 150 by far more than any other vehicle I've had, other than my sleds, eh! snowbuilder sounds just as I was. Until my "Garage Mans Companion" and it owned that name, now had engine FAILURE! Just prior to our Canadian trip! However, it was hard to believe the Eco Boost hype. Even though my son, and friend Bob, had been in the mountains, so many times, with their campers. So we used Bobs F 150 Eco Boost for Canada. Being a trucker, and used to sitting the seat, to put the miles behind me, Bob has me drive. I was completely convinced immediately. No more towing with the truck engine's tongue hanging out, in despair! I've towed farm related loads well over 13K with my 3.5 Eco Boost,. And with little effort.

old abe

Ok boys you have be being a little more open to the Ford. My big reason I bought the Ram in 2014 was not happy with GM anymore and thought Ford but drove a 2014 F150 and it rode like a tank on blocks very stiff felt every bump and crack in the road. Ram was almost as smooth as one suburban. I was told they fixed ride issues with Ford so may look at them when ready. Thanks for all input.
It all depends on how the truck is spec'ed out. Tires, load capacity, and etc. My truck rides somewhat stiffer, this due to it being set up for max tow, and with LT tires, verses P tires. Thus, it tows, and handles very good when doing so. No squirming around whatsoever!

Hoosier

The 3.5 eco-boost best of both worlds not bad gas mileage i average 19 mpg maybe 22 highway and has more torque for towing than the v8 owned mine for 5 yrs now did a lot of research before purchase .I believe towing anything more than 5000# the 3.5 eco is a better fit.Have 60k on it now and so far so good no issues , plus i like the interior nice fit and finish not to mention the aluminum body i am hoping it will last a lot longer rust free .Get behind the wheel of one i think you will like it.
You mention Aluminum body - seems like all GM trucks rust badly above the rear wheel wells.

So what years are good for Fords? A certain year they stepped it up?

saber1

2015 and up I own a 2015 myself 7yrs old no rust so far thats the first year of the aluminum alloy body

1fujifilm

I have a '16 EcoDiesel and I get 18-22 mpg around town, Chicago suburbs. I tow an inline three place and get around 15 mpg with it. 72K and still loving the truck. I cannot wait for it to break in.
Yup.
After being an owner of every model of Chev/GMC 1500 since 2003, I'm kinda stuck on the GMC 3.0 diesel. Fuel is 15% more expensive than regular unleaded but I like the 40% better mileage and 460 torque at 1,500 RPM's..AND NO BOLOGNA FUEL MANAGEMENT..GM REALLY STINKS ON THAT.

Bear

Bear