Clutch maintenance - worn parts

old abe

Funny you ask since I ended up getting the wrong ones, but didn't know it until we were up on the hill and installing them in the trailer. We kind of decided to go west at the last minute, and a bud I ride with has a similar sled and called a shop that did a reflash for him before to ask about what weights we needed. They sent us weights - the brand is SSI but we didn't buy them direct. They come in two ranges. Mine would have worked better with the lighter version.

Mine's a 600. Stock flatland calls for 68 grams. 6-9K feet is 62. Over 9K is 58 plus a different spring. The adjustable weights they sent are 64 - 86, so I ran them without any added weights at 64. They should have sent us the weights that run from 55 - 71. The sled did ok but definitely struggled at the higher elevations. Snowies has quite a bit of variation and I could definitely tell when the weights were closer to where they needed to be and when they weren't.

I wasn't part of the conversation with the shop so I don't want to throw them under the bus, but basically they sent us the wrong weights but I used them, so now I'm stuck with them. The upside would be I can set them up for the correct flatland weights if my stock weights are worn.

I wish I would have done my own research before leaving but I figured it was taken care of with the shop knowing what to do. I didn't even see the weights until we got out there and I was comparing them to the owners manual.

Live and learn I guess - we had a great trip and other than trying to climb anything at high elevations it did ok, and it was the only time I got out on the snow this pathetic season...
Yep, get all that, and thanks Hoosier! Live, and learn! We some years back spent quite a bit of time out there at West Yellow Stone, Island Park, and up above Laramie in the Snowies, where a friends, friend rented cabins called Mountain Meadows. I can't believe the difference in clutching just going from a 600, to a 700 sled. My 700 Doo with the TRA only need minor clutch adjustment, as the 600 took more, and parts. But I want my sled to be set up right out there as it's a long trip both ways. A dead, or sluggish poor set up doesn't work good, and not any fun for me. $$ counts, eh! We would range from 5K to 10K plus elevations, and really enjoyed the trips a bunch. However we'll take the West 1/2 of Sonny when they have snow, or a long Canadian trip over anything else, always! Gaspe, Vermont, and Maine are on the bucket list. Good luck always, eh.

Hoosier

Yep, get all that, and thanks Hoosier! Live, and learn! We some years back spent quite a bit of time out there at West Yellow Stone, Island Park, and up above Laramie in the Snowies, where a friends, friend rented cabins called Mountain Meadows. I can't believe the difference in clutching just going from a 600, to a 700 sled. My 700 Doo with the TRA only need minor clutch adjustment, as the 600 took more, and parts. But I want my sled to be set up right out there as it's a long trip both ways. A dead, or sluggish poor set up doesn't work good, and not any fun for me. $$ counts, eh! We would range from 5K to 10K plus elevations, and really enjoyed the trips a bunch. However we'll take the West 1/2 of Sonny when they have snow, or a long Canadian trip over anything else, always! Gaspe, Vermont, and Maine are on the bucket list. Good luck always, eh.
We drove by Mountain Meadows a couple times while out there. Thought about trying that out sometime.

Hoping to get back to Ontario next season. Old Mother nature obviously wasn't cooperating this year. They had some spots with snow at times but not enough to be worth the trip for me at least.

old abe

We drove by Mountain Meadows a couple times while out there. Thought about trying that out sometime.

Hoping to get back to Ontario next season. Old Mother nature obviously wasn't cooperating this year. They had some spots with snow at times but not enough to be worth the trip for me at least.
The Mountain Meadows cabins are small, and confined but that's part of the deal. Nice place to base out of. We go to ride, where ever we are, not laying back in a cabin, or room during riding hours. I can't believe what a absolute terrible snow season Ontario experienced this year. :unsure: It didn't help the snowmobile efforts to expand the trails one bit.