Coming clean

Sledhead!

I first got my thirst for snowmobiles when a childhood friend allowed me to ride his Kitty Cat. I was hooked on the first ride. Years later I was the one who he would ask to help him get it started, or address any technical issues. We would ride every winter until we were too big.
Fast forward 10 years, another friend of mine had 4 sleds and we would go up to lower WI back in the day when we used to get snow down by Lake Geneva and such.
College and what not filled in those years later and there I was at my 40th birthday and what I wanted to do. Go snowmobiling is what I said, the itch came back.
My middle brother was the only one to attend in St Germain. Pats rental was out of 600's, said he had 2 550's. As a former road racer, I said "how much less HP can a 550 have vs a 600?" First sled lesson learned.
My bro and I had a great trip, hook line and sinker back with sleds!
We were at a bar and met a group of guys up from IL for a bachelor party. One guy had a RX-1 I think, the hot Yamaha at the time, and a 700 Cat 2 smoke. Asked my bro and I if we wanted to take them for a spin? Duh, of course (mistake) I rode the Yamaha first, my bro rode the cat. Ripped it right out from from the bar in St Germain, front skis off the ice, let off gas for a sec, back on full, saw 105 on speedo and turned around. Switched sleds, and did the same on the Cat, same effect, sjis in air, crazy fast.
After, I thank the gentlemen who let us ride their sleds and looked at my brother and said "we're screwed now cause our rental sleds wont do that!"

What's my point in this story? Well, 9 of us have been doing a trip tp Gogebic since 2012. 9 of us rent sleds which by default makes me uneasy talking about much here cause you all own sleds and have more "skin" in the game. Its like my road racing bretheren if they allowed people to rent race bikes.
Anyway, back to my point. This year, 5 of the 9 bought sleds and are now part of this crew more then I am, or feel.
However, if anyone were to meet me at a bar or trail head, I suspect we would smile and laugh together because we are a rare breed and we need to stick together! I will own a sled someday, and when i do, I will clog the technical forums with lots of questions. Until then, I am just an avid sled head who at the moment doesnt own a sled but that doesn't mean i don't love the sport or support area businesses.

Last edited:

snobuilder

Good story. I think most of us have been 'in and out" of snowmobiling as we grow older (not up!).
Personally my passion for it grows stronger every year.

I can relate directly to your sled ride at the bar. Late ninetys and I did a ride with some neighbors on my Cat Jag I kept around for kiddy rides.

At the bar I was introduced to a friends buddy with a brand new triple cat. He surprisingly offered me to take it for a spin on the lake which I happily accepted. The sled flew past 100 and the needle crept into the words "Arctic Cat" at the bottom of the speedo (dreameter)..... at that point I understood what he meant when he said "see if you can get it Cattin' "....LOL...I was hooked and had a bigger, badder sled a few weeks later.

G

G

Winter 1982-1983. Started season with Pol TXC 340. Got beat by a TXL leafer. Sold TXC. Bought TXL Indy 340. Got beat by an Arctic Cat of some sort. Sold the TXL Indy. Bought 600 Indy. Blew that up twice. Thank God spring finally came. So yes I guess I had the bug.

durphee

Sledhead..... those sleds you rode from the bar in St. Germain....the Arctic Cat F7 was mine and the RX-1 sled was the guy (Jake) for whom we were having the Bachelor party for. If I remember correctly it was like 50 degrees out that day, we were drinking some beers outside at Fibbers in our t shirts and the radar runs were going on in front of Elberts. I remember chatting with you guys with the rentals and saying to my buddy, lets let them rip on our sleds! If that was you guys I am glad to help you get addicted to sledding!

I first got my thirst for snowmobiles when a childhood friend allowed me to ride his Kitty Cat. I was hooked on the first ride. Years later I was the one who he would ask to help him get it started, or address any technical issues. We would ride every winter until we were too big.
Fast forward 10 years, another friend of mine had 4 sleds and we would go up to lower WI back in the day when we used to get snow down by Lake Geneva and such.
College and what not filled in those years later and there I was at my 40th birthday and what I wanted to do. Go snowmobiling is what I said, the itch came back.
My middle brother was the only one to attend in St Germain. Pats rental was out of 600's, said he had 2 550's. As a former road racer, I said "how much less HP can a 550 have vs a 600?" First sled lesson learned.
We were at a bar and met a group of guys up from IL for a bachelor party. One guy had a RX-1 I think, the hot Yamaha at the time, and a 700 Cat 2 smoke. Asked my bro and I if we wanted to take them for a spin? Duh, of course (mistake) I rode the Yamaha first, my bro rode the cat. Ripped it right out from from the bar in St Germain, front skis off the ice, let off gas for a sec, back on full, saw 105 on speedo and turned around. Switched sleds, and did the same on the Cat, same effect, sjis in air, crazy fast.
After, I thank the gentlemen who let us ride their sleds and looked at my brother and said "we're screwed now cause our rental sleds wont do that!"

What's my point in this story? Well, 9 of us have been doing a trip tp Gogebic since 2015. 9 of us rent sleds which by default makes me uneasy talking about much here cause you all own sleds and have more "skin" in the game. Its like my road racing bretheren if they allowed people to rent race bikes.
Anyway, back to my point. This year, 5 of the 9 bought sleds and are now part of this crew more then I am, or feel.
However, if anyone were to meet me at a bar or trail head, I suspect we would smile and laugh together because we are a rare breed and we need to stick together! I will own a sled someday, and when i do, I will clog the technical forums with lots of questions. Until then, I am just an avid sled head who at the moment doesnt own a sled but that doesn't mean i don't love the sport or support area businesses.

Can relate to the in, out, then back in line. Started on a neighbor's Viking then Dad bought us our first sled because we got the cows to produce 2,500 lbs of milk in one day. With the new 73 Moto Ski we developed a passion only halted by college, girls and a lack of money. Was re-introduced on a brother in law's 1980 Exciters in the late 80s. Couldn't believe the power!!!
Been owning and riding ever since! Now nearing retirement, I expect my best years in snowmobiling are yet to come.

1fujifilm

That is one of the reasons I have to keep buying a new sled each year, renting a sled will not do it for me or the folks I ride with.
I rented the cheapest sled Trackside in Eagle River, WI had about 7 years ago (ACE 600) and it felt like riding an ATV that topped out at 55MPH. Way too slow on any grade.
So, I keep getting at least 135hp sleds and have a new Axys 800 for the upcoming winter.
My years are limited though as the Southwest is calling as we age, then it will be rentals in the Mtn's.

Bear

POLARISDAN

What's my point in this story? Well, 9 of us have been doing a trip tp Gogebic since 2015. 9 of us rent sleds which by default makes me uneasy talking about much here cause you all own sleds and have more "skin" in the game. Its like my road racing bretheren if they allowed people to rent race bikes.

u bet jud..we have hung out but havent rode yet..and hope we can this year..motor belt and skis is all u need ..u can always jump on mine..or are always welcome to come up alone and ride my other 800 pro-s with me..however whatever..just let me know when ur UP

PD

POLARISDAN

Sledhead..... those sleds you rode from the bar in St. Germain....the Arctic Cat F7 was mine and the RX-1 sled was the guy (Jake) for whom we were having the Bachelor party for. If I remember correctly it was like 50 degrees out that day, we were drinking some beers outside at Fibbers in our t shirts and the radar runs were going on in front of Elberts. I remember chatting with you guys with the rentals and saying to my buddy, lets let them rip on our sleds! If that was you guys I am glad to help you get addicted to sledding!

thats nuts durph..small world indeed..

Sledhead!

Small World, Yes Sir, those would be them! Thanks again by the way, that was some serious fun. Those 550 fans were never the same after that weekend.
Hope all is well, hoe to see you out on the trails again someday, I owe you a beverage or two!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, potentially smaller world. PD, when I met you at Gogebic Lodge that year, was Durph there, or was he supposed to be??

- - - Updated - - -

Hey PD, that would be great. Right now it is looking good to up there 12/27-30 and then 02/12-17 but could easily be swayed to pop up for a solo mission!

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
My first ride on a sled was 86 or 87, a friends 74 El Tigre I think it was. I was hooked! Ive been riding ever since, never got out of the sport. The amount of up north trips slowed once I was married and our daughter was born, but slowly picked back up as she grew older. First trip to the yoop was Dec 1991. Ive only missed three December rides up there since then. This sport is my passion, and I'll keep riding until I physically can't!

Highflyer

I love just riding but I thinks is the incredible memories created with friends is what has me hooked on snowmobiling. My crew and I laugh all year about the crazy stores we create on the sled trips. The time we got lost, someone got stuck or stories on the many friends we made along the way. Those friend that don't go soon get hooked into making a trip is they feel they are missing out.

durphee

Small World, Yes Sir, those would be them! Thanks again by the way, that was some serious fun. Those 550 fans were never the same after that weekend.
Hope all is well, hoe to see you out on the trails again someday, I owe you a beverage or two!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, potentially smaller world. PD, when I met you at Gogebic Lodge that year, was Durph there, or was he supposed to be??

- - - Updated - - -

Hey PD, that would be great. Right now it is looking good to up there 12/27-30 and then 02/12-17 but could easily be swayed to pop up for a solo mission!

I might have been at the Lodge with PD that day/night. We usually don't head down that way too much but we have had a cocktail there. I usually head up early January to ride with PD, if your available its some good riding!

ezra

the smart money just rents and goes on 2 epic trips a yr . the rest of us just toss thousands upon thousands for poss 2 more weekends and a ride to the bar around the house .

Sledhead!

EZRA, I have heard many sides about owning vs renting. There is a lot to be said about driving up to your destination, riding hard for 4 days, dropping it off and riding home. No maintenance, no payments, no storage, no trailer, no insurance...etc. However, it's no 800/850, you can't stare at it in the off season. You can't work on it, can't mill around the garage with your buddies telling stories. Can't take it for a rip around town when you get that one dump. If I win the big lottery tonight, 850 Assault will be mine, and whatever all my boys want. ****, everyone that has replied on this thread.......I'll buy you all a new sled as well.
At least there is one thing everyone on this thread agrees upon.........we all love snowmobiling

xcr440

In for the chance at a free sled. LOL

Ditto!

When the snow flies, I pretty much disappear into the north woods. I might work 2-3 days a week, but if there's snow, I go.

A couple epic trips a year, yeah, for 10 straight weeks.....