Cooke City, Montana

IASLEDNUT

How would a Polaris Switchback Turbo do out there in deep snow? It's a 136" track....I bought it used so I don't know if it's the stock track or not. Lugs don't look too big.....inch or inch and a quarter maybe? I would love to try riding out there sometime but I bought with the intent of trail riding mostly.

Thanks!!

RevKev

Be safe out there guys, with the recent and continuing storm (well over 2 feet expected) the avalanche danger has once again been raised to HIGH, same as new years weekend, when 2 lives were claimed. www.mtavalanche.com
ISSUED ON JANUARY 19 2012 AT 5 AM.

THE GALLATIN NATIONAL FOREST AVALANCHE CENTER HAS ISSUED A BACK COUNTRY AVALANCHE WARNING FOR THE LIONHEAD AREA NEAR WEST YELLOWSTONE AND THE MOUNTAINS AROUND COOKE CITY. HEAVY SNOWFALL COMBINED WITH HIGH WINDS AND AN EXTREMELY WEAK SNOWPACK ARE CAUSING UNSTABLE CONDITIONS. THE AVALANCHE DANGER TODAY IS HIGH ON ALL SLOPES. AREAS OF UNSTABLE SNOW EXIST... NATURAL AND HUMAN TRIGGERED AVALANCHES ARE LIKELY. AVALANCHE TERRAIN INCLUDING AVALANCHE RUNOUT ZONES SHOULD BE AVOIDED.

YOU ARE URGED TO CALL THE GALLATIN NATIONAL FOREST AVALANCHE ADVISORY FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION. THE NUMBER IS 4 0 6 5 8 7 6 9 8 1,

http://www.mtavalanche.com/current

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Be safe out there guys, with the recent and continuing storm (well over 2 feet expected) the avalanche danger has once again been raised to HIGH, same as new years weekend, when 2 lives were claimed. www.mtavalanche.com
ISSUED ON JANUARY 19 2012 AT 5 AM.

THE GALLATIN NATIONAL FOREST AVALANCHE CENTER HAS ISSUED A BACK COUNTRY AVALANCHE WARNING FOR THE LIONHEAD AREA NEAR WEST YELLOWSTONE AND THE MOUNTAINS AROUND COOKE CITY. HEAVY SNOWFALL COMBINED WITH HIGH WINDS AND AN EXTREMELY WEAK SNOWPACK ARE CAUSING UNSTABLE CONDITIONS. THE AVALANCHE DANGER TODAY IS HIGH ON ALL SLOPES. AREAS OF UNSTABLE SNOW EXIST... NATURAL AND HUMAN TRIGGERED AVALANCHES ARE LIKELY. AVALANCHE TERRAIN INCLUDING AVALANCHE RUNOUT ZONES SHOULD BE AVOIDED.

YOU ARE URGED TO CALL THE GALLATIN NATIONAL FOREST AVALANCHE ADVISORY FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION. THE NUMBER IS 4 0 6 5 8 7 6 9 8 1,

http://www.mtavalanche.com/current
Thank you Kev for the update. To bad it wasn't better news. I will stick to the trees and practice my Burandt moves! (ya right). lol. I did clutch with the 10-60 weights instead of the 10-62. All packed, sled is at Ricks house, just got to get through a full day of work (grouting) and we will be out of here!!!

Also Doug, Joe, and I will practice a avy search just out of town. Maybe I can get Deak and his clan to participate also. Wife bought me new alkalines for the beacon, she must still love me??? I will see if Rob will film it for us.

polarisrider1

We will practice a bit just past the Beacon Check station and maybe out to the warming hut. After all we are burying gas out there.
Skylar, I am having Rasberry Strudle delivered to the Portage truck stop from Krupps just for the trip. Don't get any ideas of locating my package. Well we are out of here in a few minutes!!!!

cuzzinolaf

We will practice a bit just past the Beacon Check station and maybe out to the warming hut. After all we are burying gas out there.
Skylar, I am having Rasberry Strudle delivered to the Portage truck stop from Krupps just for the trip. Don't get any ideas of locating my package. Well we are out of here in a few minutes!!!!

You know that people have been killed near Lulu Pass.... before you even get to the riding area. This slide happened 3 days after we left Cooke in December of 2007. Daisy Pass too but I'm sure you know that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuc45gxLBc4

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member

Drove right past there around 4 pm this afternoon. You didn't have any strudels either, I would have smelled them.

polarisrider1

Strudel snack and a big breakfast. Whole lotta nadda in ND. Always nice to hook up with riding buds. We got a batch of JDee'rs on board. Even picked up the Krazy Canadian. Skeedoo says Hi to Cuzzinolaf.

RevKev

thanks Keith. I suspect top of the world will be big on my list. We have two turbo yami's in the trailer and Rob Byrd will be filming for us.
No top for us, as their was not enough snow, you should have much better snow, with the recent snows. Have fun, and I'll be keeping an "eye" on you guys as Terri is feeding ya, smile for the web cam.

polarisrider1

No top for us, as their was not enough snow, you should have much better snow, with the recent snows. Have fun, and I'll be keeping an "eye" on you guys as Terri is feeding ya, smile for the web cam.
we are in Montana, but yellowstone gates may be closed. Staying in Livingston until 5am. Lots of new snow!!! Deak is telling his tales, planning a Wawa trip and having a few Sam Adams. We got Caddilac Jim on board also.

RevKev

we are in Montana, but yellowstone gates may be closed. Staying in Livingston until 5am. Lots of new snow!!! Deak is telling his tales, planning a Wawa trip and having a few Sam Adams. We got Caddilac Jim on board also.
See from the Web cam, you guys made it into Cooke, Ride safe, as the any danger is still High. Keep us updated with lots of pics.

jmom800x

See from the Web cam, you guys made it into Cooke, Ride safe, as the any danger is still High. Keep us updated with lots of pics.
Yep, we made it. 29 Flatlanders with the MomsMotorSports Rig invading Cooke all week long.

The avy danger is up with all the fresh snow.
Looks like meadow, tree and lake riding for a few days.
I am sure we will manage to get some pictures of polarisrider1 stuck in some open meadows.

Avy informational video with Bearlaw Bob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYVxvwWYp1Y

Attachments

• IMG_2763-web.jpg
    IMG_2763-web.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2756-web.jpg
    IMG_2756-web.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

willey

Yep, we made it. 29 Flatlanders with the MomsMotorSports Rig invading Cooke all week long.

The avy danger is up with all the fresh snow.
Looks like meadow, tree and lake riding for a few days.
I am sure we will manage to get some pictures of polarisrider1 stuck in some open meadows.

Avy informational video with Bearlaw Bob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYVxvwWYp1Y

Perfect reason to take an avy class in that video. Obviously those riders at the end of the video did not!

jmom800x

Cooke City, MT Jan 23rd Ride Update......
Lots of fresh out in the area. With the avy danger being high we had a Flatlander Support Group Meeting at the 'top' to play in the meadows, trees and lakes. Boy the snow on 'top' is deep. Lots of untracked deep stuff. The new snow is quite 'sticky' and packs well making for tough stucks when the sugary bottom drops out.
PIC_0539-web.jpg IMG_2786-web-before.jpg IMG_2791-web-after.jpg IMG_2799-dusty.jpg
The Southern Madison Range, Lionhead area near West Yellowstone and mountains around Cooke City:

Yesterday's calm weather allowed the snowpack to take a deep breath and start adjusting to last week's storm snow. This has helped overall stability. However, the pack is still far from achieving equilibrium.

The most recent storm deposited 3-4 inches of SWE, which fell on a very weak foundation of faceted snow. This weak layer is widespread in the mountains around West Yellowstone and is found on many slopes in the mountains around Cooke City. On Saturday, Mark observed a large natural avalanche on Scotch Bonnet which failed on facets formed prior to this latest storm (photo, video). Yesterday, riders in the Lionhead remotely triggered two avalanches on wind loaded slopes, a poignant reminder of the unstable conditions that exist in that area.

The avalanche hazard is trending down, but human triggered avalanches remain likely today and the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE

jmom800x

Great pictures! Keep them coming and ride safe!!!

Thanks, here is the video update from yesterdays ride in Cooke.

Flatlanders Video Update Clicky

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXtQgjNLfZs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXtQgjNLfZs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Last edited: