Cooke City, Montana

winter_time

Winter_Time,

I'm almost your neighbor here in Lake Villa. We went out with Jacob and the crew last year to Ten Mile and had a blast. Going again this year end of March / start of April. Next year, we want to go to Cooke City as well. So, keep us posted on how the trip goes. Do me a favor, tell Rick that the Arctic Cat Guy just bought that "$50 helmet for his $5 head".

RevKev, have a great time. Hope your summer went fast.

Barry

I used to be really close to you as a neigbor when I lived in McHenry. I now live in the U.P. in Lake Linden. I will let you know how it goes. The trip I am on will be out there on the 22nd.

polarisrider1

I'm a real neighbor here in Ingleside.
So Cuzz, you in or not? Tell Andy this is what you two are doing and drag him out. Our Truck is full but since you are a 3 day max guy you can meet up with us out there. Maybe Indy will want to go! With Indy (engineer/fabricator) and Joe (master mechanic) I am sure your Cat will survive 3 days with a herd of Poos.

Last edited:

Firecatguy

if your heading to Cooke be very carefull the snow pack is not good.....weak layer close to the ground....lot a guy this weekend to Avy there......

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0yLo9XNAL5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jan 1st seems to be a bad date for that area seems to loose someone on ore aroud that dates most years....

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
if your heading to Cooke be very carefull the snow pack is not good.....weak layer close to the ground....lot a guy this weekend to Avy there......

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0yLo9XNAL5s" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

jan 1st seems to be a bad date for that area seems to loose someone on ore aroud that dates most years....

That was a huge avy, wow, it broke over the ridgeline, luckily nobody was on that side playing around. Very sad this happened, why do people refuse to listen to avy warnings? My first time in Cooke was 1998, as we were going up toward Daisy Pass, we stopped to look at all the chutes. My buddy says, looks like a ski hill, I said, looks like avy run out chutes. We never tried to climb any of them. Looks like these riders went right up the avy chute. Very sad indeed. Condolences to the family, I read on Snowest it was a father and son riding, the father is the one who died, reportedly from trauma. :(

polarisrider1

16 days and counting. Kev, not to happy with the High avy conditions right now. Be safe, I still expect to see you at IP in March. Save some of the snow for me. p.s. love my Pro! only 85 flatlander miles on it but plan to do more before I leave! Proud to own a Poo!

blutooth

Avy data from Jan5th a little ways NW of Cook. Yikes!

WOW, that is an unbelievealbe weak layer! Only 10 taps from the wrist and it slid! (if I remember correctly, danger is still high after 10 wrist taps, 10 elbaw taps and something less than 10 full arm taps).

Be safe everyone!

winter_time

Local Weather Alert
Winter Storm Warning for Absaroka/beartooth Mountains, MT
From 2:00 PM MST, Sun., Jan 15, 2012 until 6:00 PM MST, Mon., Jan 16, 2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issued by The National Weather Service
Billings, MT
Sun, Jan 15, 2012, 4:19 AM MST
Local Radar Map
Updated Jan 15, 2012, 7:45am MSTWeather in Motion® | Enlarge Map Get WeatherReadyPrepare for Winter Storms
Keep Safe During the Storm
Driving in Snow & Ice
Are You at Risk For Winter Storms?
Get Live Traffic Reports
... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 PM MST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BILLINGS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 PM MST MONDAY.

* TIMING... SNOW WILL DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY. THE PERIOD OF HEAVIEST SNOW WILL BE TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION... ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 16 INCHES ARE EXPECTED OVER NORTHEAST FACING SLOPES AROUND RED LODGE MOUNTAIN WITH LIGHTER AMOUNTS AROUND COOKE CITY.

* IMPACTS... HEAVY SNOW WILL DRAMATICALLY REDUCE VISIBILITIES AND MAKE OUTDOOR CONDITIONS DANGEROUS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SNOW IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS.

&&

More Information
.AN ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION TODAY. THE VERY COLD AIR NEAR THE SURFACE AND PACIFIC MOISTURE STREAMING IN FROM THE WEST WILL CREATE A PERIOD OF OVERRUNNING SNOWFALL THIS AFTERNOON INTO MONDAY.

polarisrider1

Packed and ready to roll to Cooke City. The new 2012 800 RMK Pro is flawless as far as I can see. I clutched for 8000 to 10,000' and dropped off at Mom's Motorsports tonight. Skylar, what do you recommend on the menu at Portage, WI Truck stop? I am gunna give it another try!