Cooke City, Montana

blizzardmk

This thread had me super worried. I have 4 friends who are sledding in Cooke City right now. Thankfully they are fine. Thoughts and prayers to the guy who was killed. Very sad.

Sadly, another sledder lost in Cook city. Ride safe folks and be aware of Avy areas and run outs around groomed trails.

GNFAC Avalanche Advisory for Fri Feb 24, 2012

Snowpack and Avalanche Discussion:

The mountains around Cooke City:
On Wednesday, a snowmobiler was killed in an avalanche on the groomed road leading to Daisy Pass. Four people were caught, one was fully buried and died, two were buried with an arm sticking out of the snow, and one was buried to his knees. All had rescue gear and the victim was uncovered in less than 10 minutes. He was caught with the tail of his sled still on the groomed road as he got off to turn it around. Yesterday Doug and Eric investigated this avalanche (video and photos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and will publish a full accident report in the next day or two. Unfortunately they were not able to examine the snowpack at the crown because snowfall and high winds had reloaded the starting zone of this avalanche. It may have been a naturally triggered avalanche and these riders were unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. This fact is scary because avalanche terrain above the road is not obvious and I have parked my sled near this area many times.
Doug and Eric observed many other recent avalanches, but some were difficult to identify because the starting zones had been reloaded as well. Also on Wednesday, skiers triggered an avalanche on “Town Hill” just above Cooke City. It broke 2 ft deep and 300 ft wide. An avalanche warning was in effect for this area yesterday, and today the avalanche danger has only slightly dropped. Any slope steeper than 35 degrees has a HIGH avalanche danger. Less steep slopes have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger.

The slide path looks VERY wooded with lots of slab anchors around... wow!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0G59UGoRqN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

polarisrider1

Thought you hated K-Mart?? ;)

My guess is you'll enjoy Ten Mile a little more than your last experience.
I know!!!! Had to have a big meeting and discussion about it again to night with the guys who are going. From our research we found that we were on the wrong side of the mtn. As far as cost it will be about the same as anywhere else I ride. I am totally on the fence on this trip, but Revkev and about 26 others who are going and ride there a lot say I need to go with them and they will change my mind. I guess we are actually going to Ryan Park. It will be a first there for me. And no we are not riding together in that big of a group. 4-6 per group.

snoluver1

I know!!!! Had to have a big meeting and discussion about it again to night with the guys who are going. From our research we found that we were on the wrong side of the mtn. As far as cost it will be about the same as anywhere else I ride. I am totally on the fence on this trip, but Revkev and about 26 others who are going and ride there a lot say I need to go with them and they will change my mind. I guess we are actually going to Ryan Park. It will be a first there for me. And no we are not riding together in that big of a group. 4-6 per group.

Yup, now your headed in the right direction!!!! Its a whole different world down in Ryan park compared to up top. You wont have to deal with being blown off the mountain!

snoluver1

Just to give you a bit more confidence in your decision Ryan Park is my "go to place" when ever the weather turns ugly. Over the past ten years, 9 times out of 10, I have found the deepest snow on the range just to the east/northeast of there.

Last edited: