Corn on the cob

uncle_ed

I just had some local corn on the cob that was pretty awesome. I dont know how it is in your area but has been good in lower michiagn so far. Great time of year when the corn is coming. Summer is slipping and fall is getting closer...

zrjes

We just picked some up yesterday from a roadside area around New Buffalo, MI It was phenomenal!

Stack

ezra

corn in my parts has been hit and miss.but I have had 2 batches of beens this summer just picked some. tonight cooked in bacon grease with bacon chunks.mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm good

minnesotagirl

Ezra - little bit of a haul from where you live but Riverside Farms, off Highway 10 in the Ramsey/Elk River area always has a tasty crop.

ezra

picked about 20 cucumbers tonight. this time of year we seem to eat cucumbers every night every way.kinda like buba gump eats shrimp.canned spicey dill beens and pickels last weekend. now in a few weeks I will have a years of food for the bloody marys.

uncle_ed

My wife did about a dozen quarts of pickles last night. Large slice dill style. I really like when she does the bread and butter style also. As far as corn goes I prefer "peaches and cream" bi-colored corn with lotsa butter. I remember a corn roast I went to a few years back, A big one where they built a fire and got out the tripod and caldron and loaded it with corn. They took a large mason jar and filled it 3/4 full of hot water from the caldron and then threw a stick of butter in. It melted and floated on top of the water and then you just dipped your corn in the jar and it was instantly buttered. Pretty slick! Now I cant wait for the squash to be in!!

brad

Soak the corn in water for a few hours, then take it out, peel back the husks (leave them attached), remove the silk, paint Italian dressing on the corn, pull the husks back up and tie the ends closed with a piece of the outer leaves. Grill these and enjoy. Having soaked them keeps the leaves from all burning up during the grilling process, and helps keep the actual corn really moist (as does the dressing). A bit messy and a bit of a "rig-a-ma-role" but a truly wonderful and different way to enjoy corn on the cob.

skutr

Soak the corn - peel back the husks & leave them attached. Wrap a strip of bacon around the cob & close the husks back around. Grill & remember that everything is better with bacon.

avidflyguy

i used to have a cocker spaniel named gabriel that loves corn on the cob, i would hold the ear of corn for him and he would go to town on that thing,funny as <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> to watch him do that

chords

I have been getting just picked fresh corn and have always boiled corn on the stove, but I would like to try the Italian dressing method. I would guess grill on low/medium for maybe 8 - 10 mins ??

brad

Chords,

Yep, and it'll probably scorch, if not burn the outer leaves, but as they're wet, won't get to the inside parts. Don't use too much dressing, as oil does like to burn. Yum-m-m-m-m-m

switch07

Deep fried is how we like it. I use my turkey deep fryer and it only takes about 2 minutes. Drop in the corn like you are boiling it and as soon as it floats get it out, add salt and enjoy. No butter needed, but if you are like me, I load them babies up....gotta support the dairy farmers.

chords

brad - right on about the the "rig-a-ma-role". Grilled 5 cobs on low 20 mins. with Italian dressing was GOOD. And I will grill corn again, but next time maybe brush on the dressing at the end and save a step. That was way too much work.

Farmer Franks says he will have corn up until the first frost, so happy corning.

brad

Chords,

Good luck with that. Let me know how it turns out that way, as I was just following a recipe I was given, and I really do like it alot, but it IS alot of work! I'm into triaging as many "rig-a-ma-roles" as I can these days!

D

Deleted member 10829

I was over having rp7x help me fix my truck Sunday night and he picked me some fresh corn out of his huge garden. It was the best corn I've had this year, just awesome!