Crooked DNR

eagle1

Probably just get a fine for hunting over bait, even if it's not yours. I don't see why they could confiscate anything over that.

whitedust

Probably just get a fine for hunting over bait, even if it's not yours. I don't see why they could confiscate anything over that.

I see the point of this so you have to know exact wording of law. Who put bait there may be pointless. Check it out before you raise a fuss.

smokin440

Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear. Just stick to your original story and keep your lawyer close by. Im an hunter here in IL, as well as IA, and WI. Ive had a run in with the DNR in WI before but it was while on a PWC. Up in Castle Rock Lake my friend was riding a jet ski and got off, I hopped on and as I was slowly idling away he pushed the back of the jet ski to get me going. DNR came over and gave me a ticket for "operating a PWC within 100 yards of a person in the water" $179.60, wouldnt even listen to the story and said he had been watching us all afternoon being reckless, we had only been there for 2 hours and we were with his aunt, uncle, and parents.
So I sent my payment in pennies to the DNR office. It was well worth the $15 shipping.

michaeladams

wisconsin dnr are a bunch of a..holes.i understand the law is the law but i had the same warden check my fishing license at least twenty times one winter on the same lake just to make sure i had it on me.i have also been rudely interogated on my own property while deerhunting.they just never stop.they make it such a miserable experience to be checked out by them and they wonder why people think of them the way some of us do.good luck with your case.too bad you couldn't counter with a wrongfullyt accused suit against the warden.maybe you can.

cobalt_502

One of the first things on our new governor's agenda is to tame the WI. DNR, I read a very good article about it in the local rag about a month ago!

G

G

Over here in MN our county has been suing the DNR over some land rights for two years. Guess what - it doesn't work. They have an endless amount of money (taxpayer money) and all the time in the world. Don't think you can scare the DNR with a lawsuit. They just don't care and in the long run they will just wear you down. They have too much power. It is out of control. They seriously need to have their nuts cut out from beneath them. Twice.

red600ho

I have already started a letter to Scott Walker. Guy at work told me the same thing. But going to send it to him after I talk to the DA and a lawyer friend. And going to see what the paperwork is going to say. Here is a picture of the deer I got last year. The one the DNR is seizing.

Attachments

• Buck.jpg
    Buck.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 295

cat_man_mike

With as crooked as the WI DNR is, make sure they have a warrant before you give them anything. If they show up without a warrant and try to strong arm you ino giving them anything, I would call the police and have the DNR officer arrested for illegal search and seisure. If at all possible, have a family member there with you videotaping everything for evidence.

cat_man_mike

Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear. Just stick to your original story and keep your lawyer close by. Im an hunter here in IL, as well as IA, and WI. Ive had a run in with the DNR in WI before but it was while on a PWC. Up in Castle Rock Lake my friend was riding a jet ski and got off, I hopped on and as I was slowly idling away he pushed the back of the jet ski to get me going. DNR came over and gave me a ticket for "operating a PWC within 100 yards of a person in the water" $179.60, wouldnt even listen to the story and said he had been watching us all afternoon being reckless, we had only been there for 2 hours and we were with his aunt, uncle, and parents.
So I sent my payment in pennies to the DNR office. It was well worth the $15 shipping.

I hear you with the crooks on Castle Rock Lake. They don't care about the drunks in the 36' Baha's endangering everyone. They look for the easy score like you in the jet ski. Easy to catch, easy to deal with, and easy money. And, by the way, 2 hours is all day to them.

red600ho

Yes it is. It was getting back up and I fired another shot. It was facing me when I did. The taxidermy guy fixed it and you can't even tell I shot it. If you look real close it has matching drop tines on both sides. Picture not real good.

yamahauler

Cat man mike---I don't think the DNR have to have a warrant like the police do.

Red600ho--Make sure that you add in that you want the deer back after you win. That is a bunch of b.s.

My mom told me this story that happened just this last weekend. She went to get a Christmas tree from a tree farm. When she was there she was chatting with the owner of the place. Then for whatever reason he asked her if she hunted and if she had any luck during gun season a few weeks ago. She said, no luck but what sucked is she saw a nice 8 pt the night before in the yard and was hoping it would be back that next day. The guy asks where she hunts and my mom said roughly the area they live at. Then the guy starts to ask things like, didn't you shoot it the day before, it is only the day before. My mom said she looked him square in the eye and said, absolutely not, it is illegal. Then he says well, ya didn't even take a poke at it or anything. My mom did the same thing and said you know you can also lose your license for that. The guy asked a few more questions, just pushing, and pushing. Finally my mom had it and was about to go off on him about it being illegal and to open his ears. Right before she was going to start in he says...that's good that you didn't because I am an EX-DNR officer and we have been looking for a poacher that lives in your area. We are certain we know who it is but we have to catch them in the act. Here is my card, please give me a call if you see anything out of the ordinary. My thing was that it was an EX-DNR person doing this. I might have got on his case for that, personally. My mom was definitely irritated to say the least.

Also, just had dinner with my uncle and when he was over hunting during the WI gun season this year with my grandpa, they also had DNR come up to them. He said the DNR were a bunch of jackoffs. They didn't come up and state nicely that they were the DNR. He said the first thing out of there mouth was, hey what are you doing and why are you doing it. There were two of them and they somewhat separated my Grandpa and Uncle. They went to look at my Grandpa's gun that he just put in the truck to see if it was loaded and as the DNR was opening the door, my Grandpa asked what are you doing. The DNR said checking your gun. My Grandpa at 83 yrs old responds, get your f'ing hands off that gun and out of my truck. If you want to look at that gun, ask nicely and I will get it for you. The DNR guy actually back up and waited for my Grandpa to get it. If you were to know my Grandpa, this is exactly what I would expect out of him. Then they asked my Uncle a bunch of questions, and my uncle finally said, what do you guys want? He said that he was going to clean a deer and if your interested in seeing that, come on along or get lost. They proceeded to go away.

So it sounds like the DNR had their a-hole pants on this season.

Good luck and beat them down. I don't mind the DNR when they are respectful, but when they are just plain rude, it makes me very mad.

I think it was mentioned, but you should write every newspaper and media outlet with the story.

Last edited:

peppermill

Here is another story of the WI DNR. In my post earlier I was saying how they were trying to get my husband for shooting too many deer and all the citations they gave him but none of them stuck. He was cleared on all. Well the same officer who tried to get my husband also hit on a bar. There is a local bar down in WI that every year they would have a fish fry. The local bar would set a date for this fish fry and the local people would catch fish and bring them to the bar for the fry. Well the DNR got wind of what was going on and she and another office went to the bar and cited them for over legal limit for having too many fish in possesion. I don't know what ever came of it because we moved before we heard. I did find out that she is no longer a warden in that area and was put into a office position.

doo_dr

Your not the only one!!!

My brother In law was giving a ticket for hunting out of season. Almost $500. It was mailed to him because the DNR how to write him up on scene. The event started with a group of guys making a drive. It was a creek bottom that ran through thier property and into the neighbors. 2 points. 1st Allways had an agreement with the niehgbors for each to hunt on the other property. 2nd DNR regulated hunting/fishing zone along the creek so any body can pretty much hunt and fish the creek bottom. As they crossed the property line on the drive they came across and guy and his 10 year old son hunting in a tree stand. The guy was upset that they had disturbed his hunt. He thought that he had an exclusive hunt area. One of the guys informed him that he was a little off base on being the only one who could hunt but that he could stay where he was because it was the neighbors land and near the creek. The guys went about the drive and about 40-50 yards up from the hunter's stand my BIL ran across a injured wild turkey. It was alive but couldn't walk or fly. The bird looked like it was in a fight with something and lost. My BIL "walked" up to the bird and all it could do was flop around on the ground. Being a farm boy he was raised to put an animal down if it was suffering so he grabbed it my its neck and rang it's neck. The bird died and he left the bird where he found it and went on with the drive. 3 hours later the DNR wardens (2 rookies) stopped us 1 mile down the road. They spent 30-45 minutes with my BIL on the road side harrassing him about how/why he killed the bird. They even went out in the creek bottom and found the bird. His statement was " I came across and sick or injured bird that was obviously suffering so I broke its neck and left it where I found it" My father In law jumped in after 30 minutes of harrassment and asked the warden if the bird wasn't injured, how could a 6'2" 220lb man run down a healthy bird and kill it with his bare hands? The warden finally gave back his back tag and informed my BIL that he may get a fine in the mail. While leaving the warden actually had the balls to tell us that they were called by the guy hunting in the tree stand because he killed the turkey in front of his 10 year old son!!!! A week later he recieved the fine in the mail. My brother in law does not deny that he killed the bird, but a $500 fine for hunting out of season??? The worst part about the whole ordeal is the attitude from the rookie warden " You are guilty until you prove you are innocent"

mtb1115

I live in Illinois and it seems that our tri state area (Il, WI, MI) have the same issues. I have to belive that 99% of us are law abiding citizens and weather we follow the letter we atleast try to follow the intent of the law. How did we let the DNR get so powerfull? What happened to our rights? I think there are things about innocent untill proven, unreasonable search and siezure, probable cause etc... Yes the men and women of law enforcement deserve our support and are hard working and should be rewarded for thier service but unless I am obviously opperating in an unsafe manner, why do I need a safty check? If you look back in history there have been other orginizations that have had similar un-checked powers but I'm not going there... Yes we do need laws and enforcement or what we enjoy would soon be gone but maybe we could combine DNR with the DEA and INS and then they could "hunt down" real criminals. My 2 cents, I don't hunt or fish, I just enjoy the outdoors.

smokin440

Why is it I have a feeling that the DNR wont be around much longer. The LEO's will have the DNR role.

Another WI DNR story,
About 4 years ago while up In Florence Co. we were staying at a resort and the local DNR officer was always around and was friends with my cousin. One afternoon he stopped by to say hi and see how the fishing was going for us, my cousin and I talked to him for about 30-45 min all in this time my younger brother was fishing off the dock 30' from us in plain view. After we finished talking he got in his truck and drove down the lane and turned around, as he was leaving he stopped and got out. Walked up to my brother and asked to see his license and fishing equipment. I poked my head out to see what was going on to see this happening. At that point I hollered "hey ****y do you really think my brother would fish right in front of you without a license?" He didnt know what to say and just shrugged his shoulders, got in his truck and left. Never did say why he stopped and asked my brother.

cat_man_mike

Yamahauler: Yes, as per an attourney friend of mine, search and seisure laws apply to every branch of law enforcement, even the DNR. They cannot enter your home without permission and take your personal property if they do not have a valid warrant issued by a judge. If they try this, get it on video and call the police immediately. I would press charges as well!

chicagosledder

I have to tell you they are utilizing a scare tactic for revenue. As far as hiding all your stuff that is ridiculous and just not necessary. I am in law enforcement and I can tell you this the DNR is not allowed to enter your house without a search warrant for your residence. As to the fine don't pay it make them prove it was you, if they cannot then they have nothing on you. If they ask you any questions refer all their inquiries to your lawyer, that is in fact why you are paying him or her.

I also would recommend going to the media and letting them put the story out, I can tell you the media is a very powerful tool and the governement does not want to be viewed as the bad guy by Joe Citizen.

Good luck they sound like a bunch of goofs.

fish633

I am almost positive that when you sign your hunting license you are surenduring to all laws set by the dnr Including search of private property w/o warrant.