Crooked DNR

russholio

Wow...sounds like quite a difference from the Michigan DNR, or at least, the few that I've had contact with. They've always been friendly, professional, and polite.

Back in the early 90's, I was stopped for an ATV infraction several miles from the cabin (riding the shoulder of the road -- not being an avid ATV'er, I thought it was allowed). They wouldn't let my buddy and I ride back to the cabin, but they gave me a ride back so that I could get my truck and trailer so we could load up the ATV's and take them back. Yeah, I got a ticket (as I should have) but they didn't write one they could have for lack of protective eyewear (I had NO idea that was a law). During the ride back, we talked about fishing, hunting, their job, and who knows what else. They were actually kind of cool. I've had fishing and hunting licenses checked before, and sled registration/trail permits, and never any problems.

Last edited:

juiceman29

My buddies and I all used to make an annual trip to Minocqua until about 5 years ago. That was the year we had a run in with the DNR. We rolled into one of those towns that are pretty much only accessible by sled and DNR was sitting trailside. Well my buddie had a silencer on his sled which we all know is a no no, but anyway the "officer" walks over to us as we are heading into the local watering hole and starts his "investigation". Finds that my buddy is breaking the law and issues him a ticket which is totally acceptable. The part that is not acceptable is when he told us that the locals hate snowmobilers. Really? If it wasnt for snowmobilers, these small towns would not survive in the winter. So that is why we no longer snowmobile in Wisconsin. BECAUSE THE DNR ARE JACKWADS!

snodogg

This is a sad story because I personnaly think the wardens are worth their weight in gold. I get sick of the violaters that cheat to get their deer while I hunt my a** off to get my trophy. I don't even hesitate one moment to call the local warden to report a violation or something suspicious, there's just too many poachers, even occasional violators that ruin our outdoor experiences. I guess I've been lucky and ran into good guys, got checked in MN duck hunting and forgot to sign my fed. duck stamp, warden was super cool and nice and just gave me a warning, also had the WI warden pull in my driveway while I was butchering my deer out in the garage (he drove by and saw me) this season and he just made sure I had it tagged and registered, he pointed out I tagged it improperly but was really nice, bs'ed for awhile with me and told me a couple good stories and took off, a nice guy.

You need to consider the wardens perspective, he's been trying to catch a violator over multiple seasons, had probably been checking the area for some time and finally came across you. If you read the hunting regs. it is illegal to hunt over bait whether you placed it or not. I'm assuming your stand (since you said it was your cousins) is being left permantely on public land.? This is illegal too, and the guy whos baiting is probably using your stand as well. A suggestion for you would be to place some trail cams out and hopefully catch the guy that's placing the bait, then give that to the warden. I still believe most the wardens are good people, they share our love for the outdoors and protect out resources. Your in an unfortunate situation in that you look guilty...I hope the situation works out for you. Your best bet is to wait for a citation and then go straight to the DA.

whitedust

Per snodogg....If you read the hunting regs. {It is illegal to hunt over bait whether you placed it or not}. This is what I have been advising from get go how does the law read? Probably does not matter who placed the bait but does matter who was hunting over a baited area when caught by a warden. It is all how the law reads. You were hunting over bait...... who & what has been established. You may have some wiggle room but NOT much.

red600ho

Well I finally got my citation in the mail. $387.25 and I would pay if weren't the fact I had no idea the bait was there. The date for the violation is for last year. Because I said I got a deer in that woods. Which I said I did, I should have said no in the first place. Now I have to take off of work and appear in court to contest the fine. Calling tomorrow to get a appointment with the DA. I have a strong feeling it is the neighbor guy putting it out in the woods. Because I had to remind a kid opening morning that wasn't his stand and who gave him the ok. He said it was the neighbor, and I called him and asked if he did, which he denied right away. Must be a down year in revenue for them and now they are going out and getting whatever they can get. Jackwaggons.

red600ho

I know you can not hunt over bait. And if you are caught you will be fined. I read the DNR rule book. So the next time you go into a public woods hunting. You need to walk all over and make sure there is no funny stuff like baiting going on. And in the mean time scare all the deer out of the area. Because you are suppose to know what is in the woods all the time. As he stated to me in our conversation.

This is a sad story because I personnaly think the wardens are worth their weight in gold. I get sick of the violaters that cheat to get their deer while I hunt my a** off to get my trophy. I don't even hesitate one moment to call the local warden to report a violation or something suspicious, there's just too many poachers, even occasional violators that ruin our outdoor experiences. I guess I've been lucky and ran into good guys, got checked in MN duck hunting and forgot to sign my fed. duck stamp, warden was super cool and nice and just gave me a warning, also had the WI warden pull in my driveway while I was butchering my deer out in the garage (he drove by and saw me) this season and he just made sure I had it tagged and registered, he pointed out I tagged it improperly but was really nice, bs'ed for awhile with me and told me a couple good stories and took off, a nice guy.

You need to consider the wardens perspective, he's been trying to catch a violator over multiple seasons, had probably been checking the area for some time and finally came across you. If you read the hunting regs. it is illegal to hunt over bait whether you placed it or not. I'm assuming your stand (since you said it was your cousins) is being left permantely on public land.? This is illegal too, and the guy whos baiting is probably using your stand as well. A suggestion for you would be to place some trail cams out and hopefully catch the guy that's placing the bait, then give that to the warden. I still believe most the wardens are good people, they share our love for the outdoors and protect out resources. Your in an unfortunate situation in that you look guilty...I hope the situation works out for you. Your best bet is to wait for a citation and then go straight to the DA.

I'm right there with you Snodogg.

eagle1

I don't see how they can give you a citation for last year? Do they have proof you were there? You could of shot that deer anywhere.
I would tell the DA you walked in in the dark and didn't see the bait, since you didn't put it there. Anyways, no way they should be able to touch your deer from last year.

Troutlaketerror

Heres my run in with DNR here in old Indiana When i was 18 i bought my first shot gun proud as all get out ya know been usin my dads gun since i started anyways were out huntin on blue lake in northern indiana and DNR pulls up and asks for our stuff stamps all that ok i can deal with that then they want to look at my gun and ok IDC so i hand it over and they check to see how many rounds it can hold and they guy said i didnt have a stop in it to only hold three with one in the chamber and he just goes off i hate you young hunter that think your hot **** keep in mind my dad is right there then he asks for my shells ok no big i had 3inch with #6 shot he yells at me for not having the right #shot size im like um hello personal pref its a good all round shell made by plack cloud ducks or goose all said in done got a ticket for 250 for the amount of shells my gun holds even tho it came from the factory without one so i didnt know i was mad needless to say i paid it and moved on but that was complete bull

67rs

i had a run in with them last year, i am a farmer, and low and behold every year the first load of corn i forget to close the doors, i leave them open all summer, so they do not hold water, so there was a full round around the field all the corn ended up on the ground, 1 week later dnr shows up and says i am baiting deer, i said ya right what are you talking about he drove me to my field and said there is corn all over the field, i said it is a corn field that is what is supposed to be there, he said he could fine me i said go ahaed the jury would laugh at you, i then told him that it happens every year and next year i would call him a week before i shell corn and he could come over and close my doors, that is what i did this year, and everytime i see corn on the road from falling out of grain trucks, i call them and tell them there is baiting going on on hwy ## and county rd&* and so on i waste there time just like they waste mine.. i hunt in wood county, i don't think they will bother me anymore. i hunted in the mead wildlife area a few years ago, but gave it up the dnr is out there every day looking for money, screw them, take it to court! a jury trail, tell them the story bring your cousin and a few others to testify that it was your second day, and good luck to the dnr.. there is no jury that would convict you, give your gun away and your trophy, tell them you sold them for a dollar sorry. can't take what you don't have.. i am ready to quit hunting, after 31 years. i also told them they could pay me for all the corn the wildlife eats on my property, good luck and i hope it works out in your favor, all hunters should take 1 year off and see what they do then, go outwest for a season and screw em..

1-snowbullet

well i got reading and thinking about this topic .. in the last few years i like to walk around the woods looking for old iron with my dog ((Cars)) well i found one up north on fed-state land .. so i started calling (( i dont hunt one bit )) i found out who to get ahold of and did alot of calling .. finally we got the phone call back as we were talking he asked if i hunted i said NO. and started asking a bunch of off the wall questions about why i was out there ect ect.. never thought about it at the time,, there has been poochers hunting back there i guess and they are trying to catch them and trying to pin it on me .. All i wanted is the 1928 old car body i found on the land to make a rat rod out of it . needles to say car body is where it lays yet waiting till spring then will go get it .. It is sad do they think just because you are inquiring about a old pice of scrap iron you are a hunter .. i guess so .. yaaa i hunt for-- old iron in back wooded areas thats where you find the real old stuff from the 40's and older including vintage beer cans ,,bottels,,parts ect ect .. I dont bring my rifels just my dog he will pertect me with his life .. besides if they bring my name up only thing that will come up is a fishing licence always scouting out for off the wall hard to get at lakes where no one goes BIG FISH !! so enjoy and watch out what you say to these people they might think you are a poocher !!

snodogg

I just recently heard of a guy up here in northern WI got busted with an illegal Elk from out west he had hanging in his bar. Heard they got tipped off by a customer and the elk was shot 5 years ago, so they do work on "old" cases. Which is why you probably got the citation for last year, because they can fine you more because you actually shot a deer. Why didnt you tell the warden you saw a kid sittin' your stand the first day? The baiting issue is ruining deer hunting, esp. in WI. Hopefully the DA works with you...

arctiva

I read your post and im sorry to say that there is some huge problems with what you wrote that points to you or your cousin baiting and why you got the tickect because no 1 came forward.

You said this was public hunting grounds correct? But you said your cousin gave up his stand for you to hunt correct? you hunted these woods last year correct? And the bait was within 30 yards of this stand correct?

On public hunting land you have to remove your tree stand dont you? Sounds to me like this is a permanet stand or 1 thats left out year after year and you pretty much addmitted that between you and your cousin hunt this stand and the bait is there or was there.

Sounds to me like the dnr knew someone was baiting and since your the 1st person in this "stand" 30 yards from the bait and the fact your cousin didnt hunt in this stand this year. I gotta be honest it just sounds and looks fishy to me.

i'd just pay the ticket and move on personally.
They have you admitting you shot a deer here last year, they have pictures of the bait piles this year or last year, they prolly have a picture of you in this stand.

If you had said you walked into public hunting grounds hung a stand blindlly in the dark and was hunting you wouldnt be in the mess im sure. But you gave them all the info they were looking for and been watching for

michaeladams

i don't care what all you dnr lovers say.i am a law abiding citizen and to get messed with like they do is uncalled for,they do everything possible to get you to admit to doing things you didn't do and twist your words around.it's just crazy.check my fishing license 20 plus times in one winter by the same warden on the same lake just to "make sure i had it on me"is pure poppycock.had my son in my tree stand with me,not hunting, just there to see what it was all about.they trespassed on my land and harrassed us for having an unlicensed hunter. i could go on and on and i would love to list his name and where he intimidates and harrasses now but i won't.and i believe in wisconsin they can enter a premise without a search warrent,that is why the police team up with them for certain things. i agree that they have a job to do but they should lay off with the general harrassment and go after the oness who deserve it.i have never had a good experience with the dnr.

It sure seems to me that the vast majority of folks chiming in about they're personal experiences with the DNR may be bringing much of the things upon themselves. There are a couple of very basic things that "everybody" should know when they're being approached by anybody in law enforcement. The very first and most important thing to remember is to answer all questions asked with either a simple "Yes" or a simple "No", nothing more, nothing less. The second is to be very respectful, especially if you feel the respect thing isn't being offer back your way. Eventually, most officer will come around once the initial tension of the moment subsides.

For general purposes I'm assuming most everybody's been pulled over for speeding. Do you remember the first question the officer asked you after they asked for your license and insurance card? My bet is that you were asked "do you know why I pulled you over"? The correct response to this question is.....No. However, for some strange reason the vast majority of the folks feel compelled to speculate. Why would you do this? He just asked you to read his mind. You couldn't possibly know exactly why he pulled you over unless you're a mind reader.

My guess is that the next two questions the officer asked you were "Do you know how fast you were going"? And "do you know what the posted speed limit is"? The only correct answer to these questions are a simple...."yes", nothing more. At this point the officer has most likely been able to determine whether you've been drinking or not and the direct questioning most likely will cease and they'll start revealing why they pulled you over and what they are going to do. If you were drinking this scenario doesn't work for you. You get the go directly to jail card. However if you're sober you've got a lot on your side. First and most importantly you've maintained your innocence without have to lie. Secondly you've placed the burden of proof solely in the hands, eyes and equipment of the officer of which all can be disputed for accuracy if need be. If your driving record is semi-respectable there's a good chance the officer may be willing to help you keep it this way, as long as you were respectful. However, if you were a smug, cocky, self righteous a-hole during the stop you're out of luck. He's going to find everything he can possibly hang on you and let the judge determine what sticks and what gets thrown out.

Obviously, I'm stretching it a bit by trying to compare the similarities between getting out of a speeding ticket and being jacked up by an over zealous DNR officer while you're in your stand. However, I hope that I was clear enough to help folks understand that their attitude and what they say and more importantly, what they don't say is what will ultimately stirs the direction of the outcome.

Last edited:
I read your post and im sorry to say that there is some huge problems with what you wrote that points to you or your cousin baiting and why you got the tickect because no 1 came forward.

You said this was public hunting grounds correct? But you said your cousin gave up his stand for you to hunt correct? you hunted these woods last year correct? And the bait was within 30 yards of this stand correct?

On public hunting land you have to remove your tree stand dont you? Sounds to me like this is a permanet stand or 1 thats left out year after year and you pretty much addmitted that between you and your cousin hunt this stand and the bait is there or was there.

Sounds to me like the dnr knew someone was baiting and since your the 1st person in this "stand" 30 yards from the bait and the fact your cousin didnt hunt in this stand this year. I gotta be honest it just sounds and looks fishy to me.

i'd just pay the ticket and move on personally.
They have you admitting you shot a deer here last year, they have pictures of the bait piles this year or last year, they prolly have a picture of you in this stand.

If you had said you walked into public hunting grounds hung a stand blindlly in the dark and was hunting you wouldnt be in the mess im sure. But you gave them all the info they were looking for and been watching for

Sure are alot of assumptions taken in your quote, arctiva. With assumptions like that it leads me to wonder if you're a DNR officer too? Hey, ever hear of a natural brush blind. Lots of people still use those, especially on federal land, and you don't have to remove them.

Just sayin.......

arctiva

Sure are alot of assumptions taken in your quote, arctiva. With assumptions like that it leads me to wonder if you're a DNR officer too? Hey, ever hear of a natural brush blind. Lots of people still use those, especially on federal land, and you don't have to remove them.

Just sayin.......

1st off i made no quotes i asked questions and stated my opinion based on a story that left out so important information!!!
Its all right there in the original poster story and without those questions like i said sounds fishy.

Yes i have heard of ground blinds and to my knowledge on public land if you make a ground blind its not "yours" its free game for whoever wants to use it. And regardless the poster didnt mention a ground blind he said "STAND"

No im not a warden but wardens are taught just like police officers to ask you questions to incriminate yourself. Makes there job easier if you admit to this or that.

1st off i made no quotes i asked questions and stated my opinion based on a story that left out so important information!!!
Its all right there in the original poster story and without those questions like i said sounds fishy.

Yes i have heard of ground blinds and to my knowledge on public land if you make a ground blind its not "yours" its free game for whoever wants to use it. And regardless the poster didnt mention a ground blind he said "STAND"

No im not a warden but wardens are taught just like police officers to ask you questions to incriminate yourself. Makes there job easier if you admit to this or that.

First off, your tighty whiteys seem to be in an awful bunch. I merely called it a quote because when you submit a reply to someones previous post, it is called a "quote" in the dialog box. That's all.

Secondly, seeing as though your member profile is so vague and incomplete (common M.O. for a site lurker) I have no idea where you're from. But I was born and bred in the Yoop, lived from the western side all the way to the Sault and some places in between, hunted in Mich and Wisc all my life and I'm sorry to inform you that the term "blind" and "stand" are used in pretty much the same context......a camo'd, hidden place to hunt from, whether on the ground, in a tree, with natural cover or bought from a store.

Just my .02¢......Oh, and you must be a LEO huh? Have a Merry Christmas, life is too short.

harvest1121

harvest1121

READ THIS

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/...face-fine-after-rescuing-deer-from-icy-water/

Last edited: