Deadly accident on Lake Gogebic

euphoric1

Drinking and sledding responsibly or irresponsibly just make no sense, will probably catch flack for this but since early 90's drinking in our group while out riding not allowed at all, when we get back to cabin or hotel have at it but if not up and ready when we are... bye...bye. Im sorry but this just makes no sense, not to minimize the situation for either but wonder if both were drinking, excessive speed, or just as in auto accidents most DUI deaths someone innocent is always taken as result of someones poor decisions. Sympathies to both of their families but this has to stop, this also gives sledding a bad name. Make it hurt more (ticketing or fines) to try to curb this. SAD...VERY SAD

harvest1121

We always stay far away from shore on Gogebic to avoid people and cut the middle north. If its snowing we will take the trail

boilerrph

Drinking and sledding responsibly or irresponsibly just make no sense, will probably catch flack for this but since early 90's drinking in our group while out riding not allowed at all, when we get back to cabin or hotel have at it but if not up and ready when we are... bye...bye. Im sorry but this just makes no sense, not to minimize the situation for either but wonder if both were drinking, excessive speed, or just as in auto accidents most DUI deaths someone innocent is always taken as result of someones poor decisions. Sympathies to both of their families but this has to stop, this also gives sledding a bad name. Make it hurt more (ticketing or fines) to try to curb this. SAD...VERY SAD

No flack here. I totally agree. I have considered giving up the sport because of recklessness of other snowmobilers. When you stop for lunch, you see way too many guys drinking and then jumping on their sleds to ride. You then get back on the trail and have close calls with guys on the wrong side of the trail coming around curves and passing you in unsafe places. Some of this is probably due to alcohol consumption and some is just plain stupidity. You are right. It does give snowmobiling and snowmobilers a bad name! Also, my prayers and sympathy goes out to the families affected by this tragedy.

ss440

I heard it was south of the lodge by the state park. Doesn't really matter where. Just terrible . That's 3 deaths on LG since New Years . Unfortunately this gives the community a black eye, the individuals at fault are the only ones responsible for this. Happened at 7:00 pm. Feel terrible for the families

fcat700

Been there, done that. It will be 12 years on the 24th, haven't drank and rode since. I learned the hard way loosing my brother. Never thought it would happen to us. RIP

jperog

First and foremost my condolences go out to the friends and families of both people and I am deeply sorry for your loss. Secondly the only way that this will end is by self control and self governing. If you have a drinking problem (Don't ride). Riding the lake and trails knowing that your reflexes and reaction times are hindered, compromised, and affected by drugs or alcohol is one of the most selfish acts that you can perform when there are other people and families using the same areas and paths through the woods.

This hits home to me because I have witnessed and lost too many people along with the fact that I keep my sleds at Lake Gogebic and base our rides from there with my wife, son and friends every time we come up.

We are SO fortunate to be able to operate the machines that are produced and made available to us by todays manufactures. As my dad says, "I would have given anything when I was your age to have had one of these turbo sleds"...and here we are taking it for granted and abusing the privilege offered to us. I deal with this here in Florida with our performance boating community all of the time and say the same thing yet accidents involving drugs and alcohol never seem to stop. This is an absolute waste of life and opportunity that has no possible positive result. -The only thing that happens is more pressure gets applied on the governing municipalities for heavier regulation that will effect all of us left behind and remaining in the sport.

I grew up in a very active snowmobile club with weekly rides that went bar to bar and remember seeing (adults) crash and the havoc that it caused for friends and families. My brother and I have watched my dad total sleds that should have never happened. Being exposed to this stuff at a young age, I am very lucky to have learned from what I witnessed and have never been a drinker because of it. If its too boring for you to ride without drinking then you need more horsepower. But please wait until the sleds and boats are parked before you drink.

Joe

Last edited:

chunk06

Certain areas are just too busy with the limited snow, heading south Friday it was non stop trailers heading north. I also heard every room was booked for the weekend. Icy trails made me almost bite it once in the 400 miles I put on. I would love to know how this happened on a wide open lake. On another forum a member said that it appeared one group was not drinking heavy. Horrible to say, but bad accidents are bound to happen when everyone is packed into a small area of rideable snow. One bartender I talked to said he has definitely noticed more weekday riders this season.

russholio

First and foremost my condolences go out to the friends and families of both people and I am deeply sorry for your loss. Secondly the only way that this will end is by self control and self governing. If you have a drinking problem (Don't ride). Riding the lake and trails knowing that your reflexes and reaction times are hindered, compromised, and affected by drugs or alcohol is one of the most selfish acts that you can perform when there are other people and families using the same areas and paths through the woods.

This hits home to me because I have witnessed and lost too many people along with the fact that I keep my sleds at Lake Gogebic and base our rides from there with my wife, son and friends every time we come up.

We are SO fortunate to be able to operate the machines that are produced and made available to us by todays manufactures. As my dad says, "I would have given anything when I was your age to have had one of these turbo sleds"...and here we are taking it for granted and abusing the privilege offered to us. I deal with this here in Florida with our performance boating community all of the time and say the same thing yet accidents involving drugs and alcohol never seem to stop. This is an absolute waste of life and opportunity that has no possible positive result. -The only thing that happens is more pressure gets applied on the governing municipalities for heavier regulation that will effect all of us left behind and remaining in the sport.

I grew up in a very active snowmobile club with weekly rides that went bar to bar and remember seeing (adults) crash and the havoc that it caused for friends and families. My brother and I have watched my dad total sleds that should have never happened. Being exposed to this stuff at a young age, I am very lucky to have learned from what I witnessed and have never been a drinker because of it. If its too boring for you to ride without drinking then you need more horsepower. But please wait until the sleds and boats are parked before you drink.

Joe

Hear, hear!

Wildpony

The 23 year old had 0 blood alcohol. He was an amazing young man with a future full of joy and progress. This incident is a tragic end for a man enjoying the sport with friends. He was 30 minutes from the end of a great outing that turned tragic.