Decision time

IOWASLEDDER

Here's my dilemma. I just sold my 2015 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 El Tigre on Sunday. I've got it down to 2 models and can't make a decision on which to buy. My choices are a leftover brand new 2017 ZR 9000RR turbo and a new 2018 ZR 9000 turbo Sno Pro. MSRP difference between the 2 sleds is about $1300. My dealer is giving me a price difference between the 2 of $200 with the 2018 being $200 more. Both are 137 tracks. The only difference between the 2 that I can see is the shock package. I ride 100% trails and no off trail. Which one should I buy and why??? I like both of them, but can only buy one!

G

G

Simple. You buy the one with the QS3 shocks. You will never regret it. Groomed trails are where you need good shocks.

favoritos

Both sleds have the QS3 shocks. The RR just has a bit higher end version.

I have a 2017RR 137" 800. The sled does have a nice shock package, but I did respring the rear arm for a lighter weight rider. The RR should be a great sled with a little heavier rider. The rear would have been fine if I ate a few more burgers every day. I did not have any sag on the rear skid with the stock spring. I do like the dual rate spring on the front skid shock. It offers a bit more compliance when the front of the skid starts to work with the coupling.

ezra

did they change the body work and move footwells forward and new running boards in the ZR also ? I thought so did not think it was just the M that alone makes it worth way more in a few yrs when you are selling a current body work sled as apposed to a 3 or 4 yr out of production style

Stack

did they change the body work and move footwells forward and new running boards in the ZR also ? I thought so did not think it was just the M that alone makes it worth way more in a few yrs when you are selling a current body work sled as apposed to a 3 or 4 yr out of production style

All 9000 series in 2017 received new bodywork for that monster 998 Turbo along with the LED headlight. I believe just minor changes to the 2018, but still worth having the newest model year sled if cost difference is negligible. Overall Arctic Cat is offering some strong incentives for all carryover sleds right now.

Stack

T

Tracker

FYI...an RR rides rough compared to what your used to...an RR is stiff IMO...and the clutch...the one I am familiar with had an engagement of 5500/5400....way to snappy and not enough finesse on the throttle...needs to be down at 3500...you don't say what lug heights are on each or style of track...that is a HUGE FACTOR IMO on what style and how tall they are....I don't stud...ever...too much mass over 100+mph and not needed with todays computer generated lug pattern design....just like new tires don't need skyping....if you buy the right pattern of tires for conditions you see they will perform swimmingly without any modifications...same with a sled track these days...I don't think you'll like a RR having rode one meself....and off trail...with that engagement....your stuck if its not over 1.5 lugged...especially stuck with studs...and I know you say you don't go off trail....but you will be off trail many times by stopping in a field or trees for a brake or snack....you'll be digging...those are my observations of an RR model....my dealer would put the Q shocks for me on the other sled if I wanted them...juts a thought to ask him...and the engagement..whats that at...and the RPM sweet spot on those motors is 8100/8150 and that is almost always way too high from factory so that needs check on either one too....me 2c

I am sorry that 8100 is for an 800...a 900 is 8400...8400 is 127 ft/lbs and is the sweet spot on those

Last edited:

shelby369

I bought a 2016 ZR7000 ltd 137 with the QS3 shocks..... then I bought a 2017 ZR 9000 137 lxr with standard shock package.......go with the QS3 shock package, why nicer ride...

P.S. the 9000 is a lazy boy with a jet engine attached to it........love it.

IOWASLEDDER

Both sleds have the QS3 shocks. The RR just has a bit higher end version.

I have a 2017RR 137" 800. The sled does have a nice shock package, but I did respring the rear arm for a lighter weight rider. The RR should be a great sled with a little heavier rider. The rear would have been fine if I ate a few more burgers every day. I did not have any sag on the rear skid with the stock spring. I do like the dual rate spring on the front skid shock. It offers a bit more compliance when the front of the skid starts to work with the coupling.
I am a lighter weight rider. About 165 lbs. Both tracks have 1.25 inch lugs. I don't want a stiff ride. It sounds as though through your post and Tracker's post the RR may have a stiffer ride. And the 2018 does NOT have the QS3 shocks on it. So it looks as though the '18 may be the way to go?

ezra

the RR is deff a stiff ride . built and marketed for the younger wanna be racers who still see them self as guys who go out and clear driveways and steer for the rutted out section as apposed to going around it

snobuilder

Numbers aren't making sense to me.....the leftover 2017 Yamaha turbos are offered @ minimum, $3500 below MSRP. How can the diff only be $200?

indy_500

Numbers aren't making sense to me.....the leftover 2017 Yamaha turbos are offered @ minimum, $3500 below MSRP. How can the diff only be $200?

Thats obvious. They can't sell current year Yamahas what makes you think they could sell leftovers? :)

G

G

Upon closer review and inputting your riding preferences the answer is neither. You want a Thundercat. That has the QS3s without the harshness of an RR. The corresponding Yami is the LTX SE. They both list in the mid 16s. I looked all over for a leftover LTX SE. There are leftover Sidewinders and 9000s. But very few with the good shock packages. So I ordered a new one.

favoritos

I am a lighter weight rider. About 165 lbs. Both tracks have 1.25 inch lugs. I don't want a stiff ride. It sounds as though through your post and Tracker's post the RR may have a stiffer ride. And the 2018 does NOT have the QS3 shocks on it. So it looks as though the '18 may be the way to go?
Sorry about that on the QS3 info for the 2018. I didn't realize they still make a SP sled without the QS3 package.
I ride two other sleds that have the QS3 shocks but do not have the RR package. There is a considerable difference. The RR is stiffer because of springs and valving not the QS3 shocks. It is a bummer that the 2018 does not have the QS3 shocks. It would be a no brainer to get the 2018 sled. I can see why it is a tough decision. Ironically, I have a set of QS3 ski shocks just sitting around. They will go back on the sled though, when I sell. I run higher end triple rate assemblies on the A arms.
Get the 2018. You can always swap/revalve, shock assemblies if you are not fully pleased. Light weight riders can rarely ride a sled in stock form.