Decisions decisions decisions.....

Modman440

Well this season marks a new chapter for my wife and i. She will be coming up to ride this year. Now last year she putted around the yard a little and she loved it however her concern is if she wants to ride with me or on her own sled. I don't have any 2 up sleds but I'm contemplating the new 2017 Pantera 7000 found one for a killer deal. Or I've found a new indy 550 for wayyyy less than the Pantera but I run the risk of her not wanting to be on her own. What have you guys experienced with your wives or significant others.

MOD

whitedust

No... No 2up a big mistake unless Mom wants to take a kid with her. I went thru the same thing back in the early 90s bought a new Indy deluxe 2up and neither one of us wanted to be a passenger. Which lead to a new Indy Lite Deluxe for my wife which lead to a new Mach for me & a new Grand Touring for her and our youngest daughter. The Lite went thru the family along with a Bravo and I started buying the biggest badest sleds on the market. Eventually my wife gave up the sport and I stayed in to ride with the guys and eventually by myself. Riding 2up gets old very fast and I have seen this repeat over and over with buds and their wives. Good luck! :)

wirev

My wife wanted her own sled. Said I went too fast and while that was true, she wasn't a bad follower at 35-45 on trails. Tough to average that unless you are on grade. Only time she went faster was on the lake--she hated the ice. Always thought she was going to fall in. lol

snobuilder

Take some patience pills and bring her along slowly and always say she was only about 20 seconds behind when she pulls up at your waiting point.

Modman440

Well I sure appreciate the insight guys! I think I'm gonna pass on the 550 and go for a 600 at least the 550 indy sound like dogs. I would rather take it slow than to waste money on a 2 up sled.

MOD

D

Deleted member 10829

Well I sure appreciate the insight guys! I think I'm gonna pass on the 550 and go for a 600 at least the 550 indy sound like dogs. I would rather take it slow than to waste money on a 2 up sled.

MOD

2 very good decisions!

ezra

borrow or rent for a weekend and see if it is something you and she actually want to do together.
my wife use to keep pace but after a few wrecks she learned a lesson I have a hard time comprehending. when she wants to go I just grin and bear it and go putting around very slow . lucky she is usually only good for a day then wants to stay in cabin and hang out and do chick stuff and I can go out and unwind . lucky for me she is good with 1 weekend a yr .
I still blame that junk ars underpowered top heavy 660 4st cat for wrecking her for ever . she would hang with the boys no prob before wrecking that turd a few times

POLARISDAN

Well this season marks a new chapter for my wife and i. She will be coming up to ride this year. Now last year she putted around the yard a little and she loved it however her concern is if she wants to ride with me or on her own sled. I don't have any 2 up sleds but I'm contemplating the new 2017 Pantera 7000 found one for a killer deal. Or I've found a new indy 550 for wayyyy less than the Pantera but I run the risk of her not wanting to be on her own. What have you guys experienced with your wives or significant others.

MOD

ur kidding right?

they stay at home awaiting your text telling them how great it is..

hellllooooooo!!!!!

hahahahhahahahaha!!!!

Last edited:

favoritos

Some of the 2 up sleds ride fantastic with a single rider. You do have the option of removable seat on many different models. You could purchase a sled that can be converted and use it either way.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's my 2 Cents Mod. I would rent or borrow for the first trip or two to see how things shake out. There's a big difference in "Putting around the yard" and being on the trails with other traffic, some of it much faster than the two of you. If she likes her own machine then go all in. I think one or two trips will give you an answer as to what direction to take this.

Highflyer

This a great thread and one many of us can relate to for better or worse..... My wife didn't grow up riding any toys so she prefers to ride with me. Yet I will never buy a two-up sled as she only comes on 1 or 2 trips each season. This is where riding in Wisconsin where you have lots of stops and lake riding helps. We never go far and keep it under 50-60 miles. It makes for a different type of riding but can also be more fun sometimes.

As for your dilemma, I think that Indy 550 fan is a great choice. The price is probably great and you will always be able to sell that sled for close to what you paid, assuming you keep it in good shape, anytime over the next 3-5 years. ITs the perfect sled for kids/wife. It is essentially the old 440's we used to ride. I view this as low risk for you to see if the sled works for your wife. If she decides that more power is needed, you can always trade up easily.

Modman440

It Def puts me in a slight pickle but I believe I'm gonna buy the indy 600 regardless lol it will make a great back up sled for the price. And if she's on her own I'm sure she will slow us down because if we're on trail it's not uncommon to put 250 to 300 on. But I don't believe she will be very interested in off trail riding I think she just likes cruising around. If she does want to ride with me I'll just rent a new 2 up sled. All my sleds are in the u.p after the first trip so all options will be available to her.

MOD

ezra

It Def puts me in a slight pickle but I believe I'm gonna buy the indy 600 regardless lol it will make a great back up sled for the price. And if she's on her own I'm sure she will slow us down because if we're on trail it's not uncommon to put 250 to 300 on. But I don't believe she will be very interested in off trail riding I think she just likes cruising around. If she does want to ride with me I'll just rent a new 2 up sled. All my sleds are in the u.p after the first trip so all options will be available to her.

MOD

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try to bring her on some 250 300 mi day for some time . unless of course you never want he going again .
My wife actually likes doing some of the 2 track stuff as long as it has been gone down a few times before. and I like it because she can follow the goat trail and I can play around in the woods a bit and keep pace .

Best decision I ever made was in 2011 bringing my wife along on a ride where it was below zero, 2' moguls, and she was 7 months pregnant. She never rode again and we sold her sled a month later. Don't get me wrong I love my wife, but I just really prefer to ride with the guys. We like to give er and put on 200+ each day. She would probably have still ridden once or twice a year but it wasn't worth the cost of keeping her sled around and she was perfectly ok with that.

ill marty

When I go to camp with my wife we ride a lot . In the morning I get sleds running. Get them to front door of camp . Off we go . Were boondock type riders so we end up at other friends camps and homes . There is more to snowmobiling than counting the miles.

Highflyer

MOD

Heck.....I would slow you down on 250-300 mike days. That sounds exhausting.

From my groups experience, the most important thing with getting the woman to enjoy the experience is to make sure they have the right (warm) gear. If they stay warm they will have fun. If they get cold or can’t see out of the helmet they will hate it.

Modman440

I hear you there highflyer. I picked her up a new slightly used helmet heated shield all ready to go even has the catcom deal and I bought another for my helmet as well. So we will be able to communicate easily. She will also be sporting a brand new fxr one piece suit I won last year at a ride in fits me horribly but her perfectly plus I don't typically wear such heavy sled clothing. I'm trying to give her all the advantages as I can because I do want her to enjoy it plus would be nice having another person in the group it's gotten smaller over the years

MOD