Does anyone ride alone?

qcmike

Does anyone ride alone?

I have a place in Bessemer, have more vacation than others that I usually ride with, and when up there alone I always want to go for a ride but too scared in case of a breakdown. My sleds are older (1998, 2001, 2005) and I know anything can happen at any time.

I have a few neighbors and a business owner from town that may be able to come scoop me up from the side of the road, but always wonder what the single riders have planned in case of a breakdown.

If you do ride alone and break down, what is your plan? Do you have someone you can call to come pick you up? I Haven’t seen any Ubers in the Western U.P yet.

Interceptor

We are ready and waiting for your call!
Services we offer: hauling you and/ or your sleds to where ever you need to go. We can fetch you parts, gas etc.
We have 2 haulers this year, hoping to get you faster service. Please put our phone #'s in your phone just in case!
We haul anywhere in the UP and Northern Wisconsin. Our minimum charge is $75. It's $2 a mile one way for longer hauls.
Dave's # is 906-231-3676, available 24/7. Bryan's # is 231-492-2150, and available after 3:00 pm and weekends.
Should you need help and cannot reach either, as service can be iffy up here, call the office 906-288-3734 as last resort.
Have a safe and fun season!
Listed in the misc section.

durphee

Sounds like Interceptor is a good contact just in case. But, I have only ridden alone several times and that is usually me getting to the cabin late and catching up with the group. I definitely rode a little slower and while i didn't mind riding 30 miles on my own once or twice I really dont want to make it a habit. Funny you posted this cause I have a week in early March I would like to head up to finish off the season and so far I cannot find a buddy who is off work at that time and we have around 15 guys in our riding group.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short answer is Yes, I will ride alone, some days you can't find anyone available. But it would be on local trails where cell phones have coverage. Other parts of Wisconsin and if I'm familiar with the area and trails I would solo. The UP, probably not. Too far between stops, cells don't always work.

One thing working in our favor is you can flag down other riders for assistance. What concerns me the most is being injured out there, break-downs can be worked through but a crash with injuries...that's some tough sledding.

I use a little more caution when riding alone and let others know of the area I'll be riding.

old abe

I know a few people who only ride by themselves. They just prefer to ride that way. They don't seem to be aggressive riders, but they do put the miles on as enjoying different places, scenery, and so on. To each his own. I have made a few late season trips alone, due to short notice, and got to see things I probably would not have otherwise? Be safe, use good judgement, and enjoy the ride!

snomoman

I know a few people who only ride by themselves. They just prefer to ride that way. They don't seem to be aggressive riders, but they do put the miles on as enjoying different places, scenery, and so on. To each his own. I have made a few late season trips alone, due to short notice, and got to see things I probably would not have otherwise? Be safe, use good judgement, and enjoy the ride!

I just rode 145 miles alone for the last two days, I would’ve rather ridden with the person I came up with, our good friend Kip is taking care of our other sled, it’s takes some understanding as to what you are up with riding alone, must be prepared for the worst, take your time go slow and be aware of your surroundings, hope this helps, i’ve written many hundreds of miles alone in the past

Carbide

I ride alone a lot in northern MN and just rode 200+ miles alone up near Munising MI last Sunday.
I trust my 4 stroke Yamaha Apex a little more than I did previous 2 strokes and try to ride a little more cautiously.
I always carry a tow strap and will cross my fingers that someone will come along to give me a tow.

If I waited for my friends to get permission from mommy (wife) I would never get to ride.

whitedust

I’ve ridden 1000s of miles alone on 4s well maintained sleds. My advice is to slow down and be prepared to spend the night in the woods. I never had a serious breakdown on my own and worked thru the minor stuff. Most dangerous for me was riding unplowed FRs in the middle of no where at night but never got stuck or had a breakdown. For me like you it was a choice to sit at home or enjoy
a ride and I chose to ride. The longest trip for me was a March RT Phelps Wi to Lanse and back it was a wonderful day!

1fujifilm

Does anyone ride alone?

I have a place in Bessemer, have more vacation than others that I usually ride with, and when up there alone I always want to go for a ride but too scared in case of a breakdown. My sleds are older (1998, 2001, 2005) and I know anything can happen at any time.

I have a few neighbors and a business owner from town that may be able to come scoop me up from the side of the road, but always wonder what the single riders have planned in case of a breakdown.

If you do ride alone and break down, what is your plan? Do you have someone you can call to come pick you up? I Haven’t seen any Ubers in the Western U.P yet.

Last winter rode from Green Bay, WI to Eagle River, WI R/T alone three times.
Basically all railroad grades that run parallel to highway so walk to the highway not too bad if you break down.
I ride all new machines though to minimize break-downs and ride slower than normal too.
I have Dave's number in my phone in-case I break down on those MI trips also.
If you ride alone, best to ride only during daylight hours IMO.

Bear

uperjim

I ride backcountry alone in the eastern UP and on older sleds. I actually prefer my old long tracked Phaser cause I can get it unstuck alone.(and it so simple I can fix most things on the trail) I also have a Summit but too hard to get it unstuck alone. I am also 65 years old. I pack snowshoes, and a pretty good survival kit and am equipped to spend the night in the woods. I do off trail but do try and stay within 5-8 miles of a state trail or road. I have a block and tackle, water and MRE food.

Even with all this I usually tell somebody the general area that I am riding in and then let them know when I get back to the cabin. I avoid rivers and lakes when I am alone but I do have one ice crossing but I am totally familiar with the spot and the ice condition. Haven't been stranded yet but I definitely ride differently when I am alone!

wirev

Short answer is Yes, I will ride alone, some days you can't find anyone available. But it would be on local trails where cell phones have coverage. Other parts of Wisconsin and if I'm familiar with the area and trails I would solo. The UP, probably not. Too far between stops, cells don't always work.

One thing working in our favor is you can flag down other riders for assistance. What concerns me the most is being injured out there, break-downs can be worked through but a crash with injuries...that's some tough sledding.

I use a little more caution when riding alone and let others know of the area I'll be riding.

I'm with you Gary. When I ride alone, I only ride trails that are not far from civilization or a main road. If IO break down, I'm not far from help even if no fone service.

I ride solo around home quite a bit, Waupaca county Wi. Last year I put on a little over 200 on one of the trips, keep the speed reasonable and get to keep moving at my pace, less stops. When I lived in Houghton I would ride solo also. Honestly never thought about getting stranded or anything. Was more concerned with the riding part I guess and enjoying the flat empty trails during the week.

dfattack

I ride alone a lot in northern MN and just rode 200+ miles alone up near Munising MI last Sunday.
I trust my 4 stroke Yamaha Apex a little more than I did previous 2 strokes and try to ride a little more cautiously.
I always carry a tow strap and will cross my fingers that someone will come along to give me a tow.

If I waited for my friends to get permission from mommy (wife) I would never get to ride.

so true

POLARISDAN

Does anyone ride alone?

i suggest the ride board..almost all my ride buds were met on there..post your plans and see who responds..vet them for compatibility and now your not alone..i rode thousands of miles alone before i found JD and the ride board..

daytime is safest..nitetime just be prepared for anything..stay off of supercold nights..and ull be fine..just ride

and a tip..newer sled maybe? but even those break

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's how I ended up with my current sled....

I convinced the First Lady that my old piece of junk just wasn't reliable anymore. Hazardous too, might catch on fire. And there's Hungry Wolves out there at night! And since I ride alone maybe I should get one of those reliable 4 strokes.

and it worked!

old abe

It's how I ended up with my current sled....

I convinced the First Lady that my old piece of junk just wasn't reliable anymore. Hazardous too, might catch on fire. And there's Hungry Wolves out there at night! And since I ride alone maybe I should get one of those reliable 4 strokes.

and it worked!

Whoa! If I would try something such as that, I get knocked down for thinking she's that, well, you know.

snobuilder

Met an 80 year old gent in Argonne. Bought some raffle tix from him....he came in and left alone after he ate lunch....said he was gonna take a nap in the snow so don't be alarmed if you saw him trailside.

qcmike

Thanks for all the replies. Mojo, thanks for the reply. If you don't mind riding with an old guy (50) who likes to enjoy the ride (not WOT to the next stop sign) lets hook up for a ride. Just an FYI, I'm coming up this Friday night to ride Saturday with the wife, drive back home on Sunday. Wife is good for 70 miles (Marinesco or Hoop) to 140ish (Watermeet or Bruce Crossing or Lake of the Clouds) round trip. Next week is the boys trip up, Thurs to Sat, drive home Sun.
Had the place in Bessemer for two years now and always wanted to post on the ride board but when coming up alone its usually the last minute, guess i should try it out next time.
Am looking for a new sled in the next year, just keeping it on the cheap now since the FIL is the pit crew, a stickler for maintenance, and will not let old Yamaha sleds die. I have 2018 ATVs and still worry when I'm far from camp, just never know, but at least I won't freeze to death if the ATV quits on me.
Interceptor, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Numbers are now in my phone. Someone to come get me if/when I breakdown in the woods is priceless.
Thanks again everyone