Does anyone ride alone?

mojo

I’m up for it I’m in my mid 50s like to go a nice speed look around see what I can see not much fir the bar hopping

GTL

WOW there's some interesting responses----I do not like to ride alone but will if I must. The first time I did I hit a deer and told myself that from that point on I would carry when riding alone. Just to do one of two things!! Put the deer out of misery or myself!!!! I now ride a 4 stroke so hopefully the dependability issue isn't an issue any more, but I agree that being retired it is harder to find peeps to go whenever the mood hits!! HAVE FUN ----RIDE RIGHT ---

nytro_rtx

I ride alone most of the time unless the wife and I are on the 2-up. It doesn't bother me to do it & I actually enjoy riding alone at times. I have a nice survival pack that I keep on my sled and always have my Spot Tracker with me so I can get help if something does happen while I'm out riding( can send an ok message, everything's ok but sled broke so come get me & last but not least the button you don't want to use, the EMERGENCY button). Also people can see exactly where I'm at on the Spot app.

WorkHardPlayHrd

It's how I ended up with my current sled....

I convinced the First Lady that my old piece of junk just wasn't reliable anymore. Hazardous too, might catch on fire. And there's Hungry Wolves out there at night! And since I ride alone maybe I should get one of those reliable 4 strokes.

and it worked!

I am just not normal. I pushed my husband both times we got knew sleds. He never regretted it, but it took some pleading.

Hungry wolves, that never would have worked with me. Next time try you never know who you'll run into. Some people like to cook stuff up out in the boonies.

I ride alone a lot in northern MN and just rode 200+ miles alone up near Munising MI last Sunday.
I trust my 4 stroke Yamaha Apex a little more than I did previous 2 strokes and try to ride a little more cautiously.
I always carry a tow strap and will cross my fingers that someone will come along to give me a tow.

If I waited for my friends to get permission from mommy (wife) I would never get to ride.

LMAO very true

I have ridden thousands of miles by myself without incident. All my solo miles are on my "home" trails so to speak (but these trails are also a lot more remote than most ride). I always know and continually take note of the most direct route to a main road as I ride in the event of an incident. I also ride with a backpack that I can leave my sled with all the supplies I may need... some food/water, extra socks/gloves/hat, matches, leatherman, etc. That way I can leave my sled with everything I may need for the hike to the main road or camping out for the night. All the storage on a sled is useless if you have to leave your sled and can't carry any survival supplies.
Also its good to let someone else know your planned route and time you expect to get to your destination just in case.

heckler56

I rode solo for 30 years until I met my buddies 9 years ago. There are some great tips from others here so I will not repeat those. The only item I include in addition to comments made above, carry two of those space blankets. Those reflective shiny ones that cost a couple bucks, take up no room and weight a fraction of a pound. Keeps you or someone injured warm and as reflective as the material is, will help search parties find you.

nhra1000

I ride by myself 90% of the time...I choose to and very much enjoy it...used to ride with groups but found I just didnt like doing it anymore....Now I just ride....rarely stop. I always have my phone with me but other than that I dont think northern wisconsin is all that remote where id have to set up camp for several nights....and if I have a problem somebody will be along eventually...only exception is if the temp is -25 or -30 below....Ill hold off for a bit warmer temps...I can ride from my door from pretty much Mid December thru March and into April so I can get choosy when I want to go.

ICT Sledder

Sometimes you don't have an option. Ride alone, or don't ride at all. Tough choice.

The Spot trackers are great peace of mind for family back home, or worse for legit emergencies. Don't have one; need to get one. I think the newer ones have the ability to send or receive texts, maybe? If not there are other similar products on the market that can.

I know it gets cold if the SHTF, but if you're dressed in sled gear you should be in decent shape to at least survive. Nowhere in the lower 48 is really THAT far from humanity, even in the UP. If you're on trail it is unlikely you wouldn't have passer-bys within 12 hours at worst. Be smart, keep your gear on and stay by your sled.

I don't know... maybe I minimize the danger. I'm a pretty rational person generally.

If you're an off-trail guy that gets WAY out there, that's a different story.

Last edited:

frnash

… I know it gets cold if the SHTF, but if you're dressed in sled gear you should be in decent shape to at least survive. Nowhere in the lower 48 is really THAT far from humanity, even in the UP. If you're on trail it is unlikely you wouldn't have passer-bys within 12 hours at worst. Be smart, keep your gear on and stay by your sled.

If you're an off-trail guy that gets WAY out there, that's a different story.
If these kids (ages 14, 8, 7 and 2) can do it — in Alaska, about 20 miles outside the village of Nunam Iqua (≈ pop 200), on Alaska's west coast, with wind gusts as high as 60 mph, and wind chills as low as 45 below zero, so can you!
See (click →) 4 kids lost in rural Alaska during blizzard found alive, huddling around youngest child.

dothedoo

I ride alone a bunch, but like others suggested, try to avoid too much night riding or riding unfamilar areas when there's low traffic. I never worry on the weekend, as you're never going to go too long without someone coming by if you have a problem.

I did run out of gas once while riding solo in the UP....not that familiar with the area I was in, and mis-judged distance. While running out of gas 400 miles from anyone I knew created a little anxiety, the trails were busy and wasn't a huge deal. I knew I was going to run out before I hit Newberry, and came across a group stopped on the trail headed my direction. I told them my situation, and they were nice enough to ride with me, and towed my sled the last 2 miles into town when it died.

I've been able to repay that kindness multiple times over the years.

choc_lab

I am turning 60 this year and do not feel comfortable riding alone anymore. for the past 10 years i have ridden alone a lot even from Pembine to Big Bay . But the fear of breakdowns or accidents seem to take the fun out of it.I still love to ride just not alone

1fujifilm

I am turning 60 this year and do not feel comfortable riding alone anymore. for the past 10 years i have ridden alone a lot even from Pembine to Big Bay . But the fear of breakdowns or accidents seem to take the fun out of it.I still love to ride just not alone

That is a ballsy ride, good for you; desolate in some of those stretches.

Are you in West De Pere? West is best Ya know.

Bear

G

G

If you ride alone go on well traveled trails. I have done two 400 plus mile treks alone in a day. Once in 1997 without a phone and once in 2007 with a phone. Which really didn't matter as there was no service anyway. Just have new equipment and stay on well traveled routes. Not a big deal. If you have a heart attack and die and a wolf chews you all up it will just have to be a closed casket funeral. Again not a big deal.

old abe

If you ride alone go on well traveled trails. I have done two 400 plus mile treks alone in a day. Once in 1997 without a phone and once in 2007 with a phone. Which really didn't matter as there was no service anyway. Just have new equipment and stay on well traveled routes. Not a big deal. If you have a heart attack and die and a wolf chews you all up it will just have to be a closed casket funeral. Again not a big deal.

Ha, ha, LMAO! But true!

snobuilder

I ride alone a bunch, but like others suggested, try to avoid too much night riding or riding unfamilar areas when there's low traffic. I never worry on the weekend, as you're never going to go too long without someone coming by if you have a problem.

I did run out of gas once while riding solo in the UP....not that familiar with the area I was in, and mis-judged distance. While running out of gas 400 miles from anyone I knew created a little anxiety, the trails were busy and wasn't a huge deal. I knew I was going to run out before I hit Newberry, and came across a group stopped on the trail headed my direction. I told them my situation, and they were nice enough to ride with me, and towed my sled the last 2 miles into town when it died.

I've been able to repay that kindness multiple times over the years.

Wait,...a Doo ran outta gas?.....don't tell fugi....he laughs at the Grand Marais gas station while the fools is sitting there on their offbrand sleds waiting for the handle.

Last edited: