Dogs/Pets Around Children

L

lenny

I have trained protection dogs most of my life. I can command them to bite left or right arm or leg, back and crotch. With that being said my dogs are around kids all the time because they are told when they can bite.

that dog is friggin beautiful

Last edited:
L

lenny

way to kiss butt lenny.

call it what you will bud, am not afraid to put into words what I see. You call it butt kissing and I call it not being afraid to be honest. Your probably simply scared to viewed as a wimp or a girly kinda guy, talking about emotions and feelings. I enjoy being involved in people lives and building friendships. Honestly and encouragement are things I have learned being a dad and husband. I'm probably not good at it but I am not scared nor do I care how I am viewed. Butt kisser? You obviously don't know me

Last edited:

polarisrider1

call it what you will bud, am not afraid to put into words what I see. You call it butt kissing and I call it not being afraid to be honest. Your probably simply scared to viewed as a wimp or a girly kinda guy, talking about emotions and feelings. I enjoy being involved in people lives and building friendships. Honestly and encouragement are things I have learned being a dad and husband. I'm probably not good at it but I am not scared nor do I care how I am viewed. Butt kisser? You obviously don't know me

I totally agree with you Lenny. (No butt kissing intended). :)

snow_dog

I was just reading the latest Journal and noticed Huck right there by your little girl.

I know some folks really do trust their pets around children,But,The fact remains that a dog is not perfect by any means and one just really never knows what could happen and it just scares me to see a photo such as that :(

I really hope no one takes this the wrong way as it is just one of those things that scares me.

I understand the point you're trying to make but honestly your post really rubs me the wrong way. I'm guessing you are probably not a dog owner, nor do you understand how dogs think and act. It's very obvious that Huck wanted to be where he was, John didn't put Grace under Hucks head while Huck was sleeping. In dog language this means Huck understands Grace is a member of the pack, and would rather put himself in harms way to protect her, than cause harm or show aggression toward her.

I've known John for over 25 years, and John knows dogs. Believe me there's not a snowballs chance in **** that Grace was in any danger.

I'm thinking you have a fear of dogs Illinois, is that correct?

maddogg

X2 Catdog. I grew up with labs. I have one now and my parents have 3. I also belong to 2 dog training clubs.

What gets me is John shares some very personal information and brings a lot of people "together" on this site. The photos are of his home life and what he loves. I am one to think that what goes on in someones home is there own business.

snow_monkey

It is true that certain breeds have a greater tendency to bite than others. When dogs are young is the time to expose them to children and other people to assure they are comfortable with others. The more socialization they endure makes for a better pet and less chance for furture problems. People are lazy by nature and the training process stops much to early. Judging someone's actions and how they co-exist with their pet is their business, knowone knows a pet better than their owner.

asmski

I going to a register a vote against snow monkey on this. My brother and I grew up with dogs in our faces from the day we came home from the hospital. Springers and Beagles. I believe the early you expose kids to animals the less likely they are to fear them. When kids fear animals is when the trouble starts.

dolph

I've got 3 labs, all with different personalities, and different ages. To blame the animal for any reaction that they do to a situation is totally wrong. The blame belongs to the human who has improperly raised the animal or has never put the animal in that situation. Dogs are pack animals and need to be raised as such. Exersize,Disapline,and Affection are all what it takes to raise a happy healthy family pet. From what I've seen and read on JD"s website John is doing a fantastic job!! Keep up the great PACK work.

olsmann

Once again people are getting concerned with how others live their lives. What cars they buy, how they treat their pets, kids and so on. I wish people would just stay more focused on their own lives and not worry about trying to save everyone from themselves.

illinois

Well I am sorry to those of you who took such offense and tell me I am scared of Dogs and life in General and then go on to call ME over-sensitive? THAT is funny!

My wife and I have three children,and as much as I love animals I will NEVER let a dog that is VERY capable of doing major harm or worse to one of our children even get the chance or opportunity to do so.

I feel it is an unnecessary risk to put a child in that situation,even if it is the "family pet"

Are you in your dogs head? No. Do you know if something inside the head of your dog is going to "snap" and make it bite? No. Is it possible for it to happen? Yes. Is it possible for the dog to bite without warning? Yes,It is possible.

Again I was just making an observation and stating my own opinion and it seems to have struck a nerve with some of you. Sorry you have to respond by being so harsh in your responses.

John and Nora,

I know you are well versed on how to raise your pets and would never intentionally put your child in harms way :)

I am also sorry this thread took an ugly turn and made some folks lash out over a simple observation and opinion. :(

Last edited: