Dogs/Pets Around Children

illinois

I agree with the two posters above.

John,If you want to remove this thread,Please,Feel free to do so as I do not want a thread like this to cause problems.

Thanks everyone for your responses :)

Again I am sorry if I offended anyone here on this great site John created :)

briano

Hey illinois, do you ever take your kids in the car with you, they have more chance to get hurt in a car than they would by a dog. Every time you drive there is chance of getting in a wreck, but you still drive with your kids in the car, correct. I have been around dogs all my life and I have been nipped a few times but I deserved it. I have a dog now that I would trust around any child or other animal, he loves my niece and my guinea pigs too.

snow_dog

Life is full of risks and "possible" scenarios. Everyone is free to pick and choose which ones they're willing to take. If you question someone elses choices then you should expect to hear someone elses opinions.

This thread is making me ill, excuse me while I climb back into my safety bubble.

indybru

We have absoutely no concerns with our dog she is a Newfoundland.

However, we keep my daughters dog a Jack Russel Terrier away from any stranger, kids included. My son has a Old English Bulldog which appears nice but I would still be careful.

illinois

Hey illinois, do you ever take your kids in the car with you, they have more chance to get hurt in a car than they would by a dog. Every time you drive there is chance of getting in a wreck, but you still drive with your kids in the car, correct. I have been around dogs all my life and I have been nipped a few times but I deserved it. I have a dog now that I would trust around any child or other animal, he loves my niece and my guinea pigs too.

This is where we will have differing opinions :)

I am in control of that vehicle,I am steering,I am accelerating,I am braking. and my child will be in a safety belt inside of a steel cage surrounding us.

A dog? No,The Dog is an animal with natural predatory instincts,although they are not all aggressive and will attack out of the blue,It happens.

I guess I can compare this to skydiving,base jumping,riding a motorcycle etc. when you have a family at home that depends on you to not take unnecessary risks that can severely injure or kill you.

I will give an example,A woman I grew up with and her husband were killed on their motorcycle when the driver of a car went into their lane on a curve.

This couple left behind their children who now have no parents.

Would the odds of survival been greater in a truck or car? of course.

I am just saying an animal is unpredictable no matter how friendly or well trained it is and it is just one of those unnecessary risks to put a small child or infant in.

I again am sorry if this offends some folks,But,Those are just my personal feelings and I do not expect John and Nora to change anything in the way they live in their own home :)

John and Nora are smart folks and wonderful parents and I know they would never let the dogs near their little girl if they felt there was ANY sort of threat.

Sorry again if we have different opinions,But,That is how we as humans are.

It would be strange if we agreed on EVERYTHING lol

Anyhow it is up to John if he wants to leave this thread up :)

I will not be hurt if this is removed.

I was just discussing my feelings on a "Discussion Board" ;)

scott_l

Well I am sorry to those of you who took such offense and tell me I am scared of Dogs and life in General and then go on to call ME over-sensitive? THAT is funny!

My wife and I have three children,and as much as I love animals I will NEVER let a dog that is VERY capable of doing major harm or worse to one of our children even get the chance or opportunity to do so.

I feel it is an unnecessary risk to put a child in that situation,even if it is the "family pet"

Are you in your dogs head? No. Do you know if something inside the head of your dog is going to "snap" and make it bite? No. Is it possible for it to happen? Yes. Is it possible for the dog to bite without warning? Yes,It is possible.

Again I was just making an observation and stating my own opinion and it seems to have struck a nerve with some of you. Sorry you have to respond by being so harsh in your responses.

John and Nora,

I know you are well versed on how to raise your pets and would never intentionally put your child in harms way :)

I am also sorry this thread took an ugly turn and made some folks lash out over a simple observation and opinion. :(

I have to stand up for illinois a little on this one...........He was just stating his personal thoughts. I understand what he is saying and why he might feel this way. John has given us all the freedom to post our personal thoughts on EVERY subject (except politics and religion I believe). So illinois feels this way and you disagree that’s fine, state the reason why you disagree and give illinois or someone else the chance to respond. Just because someone disagress dosn't give you the right to jump in their sh*!

But at the same time I also disagree with illinois.....because like many others have stated I believe each parent has the right to make their own decisions how they want to handle their personal lives at home (aka pets and children).

On a personal note my sister just had a baby and she and my brother in-law are keeping the dog and cat away from the baby for what they call temporary safety reasons (I am not making this up). To each their own! That is why we live in this great country “so we can each make our own decisions in life”, some people will agree with them and some will not!

and lastly a BIG THNAKS TO JOHN for allowing us to talk about this and everything else he allows us to discus. I hope topics like this, his car, yada yada do not keep him from posting pictures or sharing his stories, most Sundays evenings I grab a “hockey pop” and log on to Johns site to read his journal and see what’s new in the north woods. I sure would miss seeing his journals!

lvr1000

I am in control of that vehicle,I am steering,I am accelerating,I am braking. and my child will be in a safety belt inside of a steel cage surrounding us.

A dog? No,The Dog is an animal with natural predatory instincts,although they are not all aggressive and will attack out of the blue,It happens.

I guess I can compare this to skydiving,base jumping,riding a motorcycle etc. when you have a family at home that depends on you to not take unnecessary risks that can severely injure or kill you.

I will give an example,A woman I grew up with and her husband were killed on their motorcycle when the driver of a car went into their lane on a curve.

I am just saying an animal is unpredictable no matter how friendly or well trained it is and it is just one of those unnecessary risks to put a small child or infant in.

I again am sorry if this offends some folks,But,Those are just my personal feelings and I do not expect John and Nora to change anything in the way they live in their own home :)

John and Nora are smart folks and wonderful parents and I know they would never let the dogs near their little girl if they felt there was ANY sort of threat.

Hmmm, your in control of your car, but what about all the other cars on the road? You proved my point, I'm sure the above mentioned husband and father was in control of the motorcycle.

Sorry, but I just can't let that rational slide.

My sister-in-law and family were almost wipeout by a suicide driver of a truck. They only survived because of the full size SUV they were in. Their lives are changed forever.

Last edited:

ollie

So.... the vehicle you "are in control of" basicly you are saying there is no chance of a injury ??

olsmann

Hmmm, your in control of your car, but what about all the other cars on the road? You proved my point, I'm sure the above mentioned husband and father was in control of the motorcycle.

Sorry, but I just can't let that rational slide.

x2

illinois

"Hmmm, your in control of your car, but what about all the other cars on the road? You proved my point, I'm sure the above mentioned husband and father was in control of the motorcycle."

Yes that is correct, I am in control of my vehicle (to the best of my ability) and I will be the one taking evasive maneuvers to avoid an accident to PREVENT harm. I know I cannot control what the other drivers are doing,But,I am the responsible one driving the vehicle,I cannot "control" what my dog may be thinking when it decides to attack my child or another person. I hope this makes sense :)

Now if I were to hang my kid out the window or let them ride without a safety belt,Then,I would be a very irresponsible parent.

I just feel an animal with the ability to harm my child no matter if I am five feet or five inches away is just taking an unnecessary risk.

But to each their own,I just will not let an animal with the ability to maim or kill my child be given any opportunity to do so,again,I do not care how friendly or well trained (things happen) and if I can take a step to prevent something such as an animal attack,so be it,that is my choice and not all of us will agree :)

Again this is only my personal feelings and opinions.

Last edited:

snocatmike

I also think that all dogs can be unpredictable but most people know thereown dogs. Look out he's a killer.

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 93

nic

illinois- I don't think you offended anyone. You keep apologizing for offending people. You stated an opinion, and you're entitled to it. Just as people are entitled to respond to your post with their own opinions- that may vary from yours.

I do agree a lot of it has to do with your adversity to risk. Same way you make money investments, you invest in your life and that of your family. You're on this site b/c you're a snowmoibler. That's risky. You could hit an icy corner and run into a tree. Someone else could hit you. Etc. But you still do it. Because that's a risk you're willing to take. You're not willing to let your kid around dogs b/c there's a one in a who knows how great chance the dog may bite. I think it's a little nuts, but that's my opinion. I understand it's a risk you are not willing to take. I don't trust my neighbors dogs around my kids, so those dogs are not allowed in my yard. But I do trust my own animal. And even though I do, I still make sure I'm watching all interactions between them. I am 100% certain my dog is not going to jump up, run over, and bite either of my kids out of the blue. That's right, I said it- 100%. When they're playing with or near the dog, that's another story b/c he could get startled, etc. Hence, I'm always watching. I think the only unfortuante thing here is that your kids will probably grow up afraid of dogs b/c they were never allowed to be around them b/c they were 'dangerous'. I had a college roommate like that. Never had a pet. Her parents thought they were 'dirty'. Feel bad for her, she'll never know the love a pet can add to a family. I hope your kids don't end up that way.

ragsled

Are you in your dogs head? No. Do you know if something inside the head of your dog is going to "snap" and make it bite? No. Is it possible for it to happen? Yes. Is it possible for the dog to bite without warning? Yes,It is possible.

:(

Substitute "significant other" for dog, you never know when a person is going to "snap" either, so you're not even safe in your bubble.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
illinois-

I'm good. As long as you are good with the thread remaining it will stay. I think nic is right. I don't think you offended anyone, including Nora and I. Others are just making an argument for their opinion.

-John

Fagauwee

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't someone taking the picture of Hucky laying by Gracie, i.e. John. Appears to me that he is in complete control of the situation. Good luck watching your kids closer than that for their entire lives.

We sled all day then ask... Where the fagauwee?

Last edited:

miaferominka

Once again people are getting concerned with how others live their lives. What cars they buy, how they treat their pets, kids and so on. I wish people would just stay more focused on their own lives and not worry about trying to save everyone from themselves.

truer words have never been spoken

Attachments

• 10 8 06 043.jpg
    10 8 06 043.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

buddah2

O.K. time to chime in on this nonsense thread.......We have had dogs our entire adult lives.....even when the children were infants and later when the grandchildren were infants, which none still are. In my "limited" experiences it's usually the dogs/pets that need the protection from the children.

Flame away!

chords

- No Flames -

Well one small one.. Why does a thought provoking photo (thats just how photos are) and a thread about dogs and a baby - with two sides like any other thread - get declared by posters on a disscussion forum:

"absurd"

"ridiculas" ?

"telling others how to live"

"nonsense"

"my post is enough on this subject - shut it down" (my favorite)

I never have and dont want a dog and I aint missing out.

So there.

thunderstruck88

when I was a kid my cousin got mauled by a german shepard really bad got over 100plus stiches in his face the dog was coming to get me before my uncle shot and killed him but I STILL LOVE DOGS you got to respect all animals and treat them right and I for one think John and Nora would not have any kind of animal hurt Gracie I think that picture is cute and man she is growing what a cutie pie :) Huck is cute too ;)