Enclosed Trailers - why 7' inline vs. 8.5"

groomerdriver

I know enclosed trailers have been hashed and rehashed over the years. As I'm in the "serious window shop mode" for an enclosed trailer that will fit 3 sleds (let's say they are all 137" long) this question has come up in my mind and I can't recall it ever being posed here. I have plenty of tow vehicle (Ford Expedition EL) so this is not an issue.

After trailering two sleds in an enclosed trailer last weekend (one pointing forward, one backward) I'm pretty sure I just want to pull the sleds straight in and drive them straight off. If it were a long distance trip (Canada or out west) and the sleds had to be manipulated, that's a different story. 98% of my trailering will be in the upper midwest and I just want to pull them in and out pointing forward. Stealth brand trailers are sold locally and I know they are a good trailer. I have other options if I travel outside the area.

But my main question is why are 7' enclosed trailers pretty much the sole option offered? It seems like for a guy like me that just wants to pull them forward that there's a fair amount of wasted space and it's made up by making the trailer longer.

I know I'm missing something (easy for me to do) to please edumacate me! Pictures are always helpful!

xsledder

When you are talking about 8.5' are you talking about deck-over-wheels trailers? With the 7' wide you load them through the front and drive them off the back. The 8.5' deck-over-wheels is normally the other way around, load from the back and drive off the front. With the 7' in-line trailers the sleds are staggered inside to get them to fit. They are also lower than 8.5' deck-over-wheels trailers, which is suppose it make them easier to tow (that is for you to determine). An 18' in-line trailer can easily hold 3 137" sleds, staggered and facing towards the back of the trailer with part of the last sled (or first sled depending which way you count them) in the v-nose. I fit two T660 two-ups, one Phazer XTX, and one standard Phazer in a 6'x24' in-line with two facing forward and two facing backwards. Make sure all the sleds have reverse.

It is much easier to see around a 7' in-line trailer without mirror extensions then a 8.5' deck-over-wheels trailer.

BTW, I am surprised you are asking this question. If it is a setup question, I guess I am the first one to bite. (Lucky me!)

groomerdriver

When you are talking about 8.5' are you talking about deck-over-wheels trailers? With the 7' wide you load them through the front and drive them off the back. The 8.5' deck-over-wheels is normally the other way around, load from the back and drive off the front. With the 7' in-line trailers the sleds are staggered inside to get them to fit. They are also lower than 8.5' deck-over-wheels trailers, which is suppose it make them easier to tow (that is for you to determine). An 18' in-line trailer can easily hold 3 137" sleds, staggered and facing towards the back of the trailer with part of the last sled (or first sled depending which way you count them) in the v-nose. I fit two T660 two-ups, one Phazer XTX, and one standard Phazer in a 6'x24' in-line with two facing forward and two facing backwards. Make sure all the sleds have reverse.

It is much easier to see around a 7' in-line trailer without mirror extensions then a 8.5' deck-over-wheels trailer.

I honestly do not know if I'm talking about deck over or not. Never thought about with a 7' trailer you drive them in from the front. So maybe that's why I see 7 x 24's advertised as 4 haulers.

EDIT - I think I'd like a 6 footer even better but haven't seen one lately

Last edited:

jedoyle

I honestly do not know if I'm talking about deck over or not. Never thought about with a 7' trailer you drive them in from the front. So maybe that's why I see 7 x 24's advertised as 4 haulers.

We have a Neo 7x23 (inlines include The V in length) and it works perfect for 3 sleds. The previous owner said he fit 4 sleds in it but you have to do the ying yang thing which would be a hassle. With 3 sleds loaded from front to back we don't have a lot of extra room. We definitely couldn't fit another sled in the same direction. Inlines sit low which are nice for towing and for loading/unloading. Also less wind drag when pulling and then of course you can see around them which comes in handy when backing and manipulating. Aluminum inline is the way to go IMO. For 3 sleds do not go less than a total length of 22'. Jim

Last edited:

ezra

to each there own I my self could care less what some one behind me is doing . I drive fast enough to not have to worry about someone wanting to get around me . I like pulling them in side by side no lifting of screwing around just open the door and start the sled I want to ride and drive off. the MPG this is also bs I get like 1/2 mpg better yanking my buds 7foot compared to my deckover 8.5. but every one has there likes and dislikes and that is why u can pick from so many options.
I thing I kind of wish the truck builders would start installing is a new trailer wiring harness with leads for a backup camera . would be sweet and with the cost of the cams now days I would bet even the cheapest trailers would add them to the option list for under 200 bucks .every new car has to have the cams now I thought so really just a few more plugs on the round connector

xcsp

I thing I kind of wish the truck builders would start installing is a new trailer wiring harness with leads for a backup camera . would be sweet and with the cost of the cams now days I would bet even the cheapest trailers would add them to the option list for under 200 bucks .every new car has to have the cams now I thought so really just a few more plugs on the round connector

Not to get off topic, but that's a good idea about the rear-view camera for the rear the trailer.

mrbb

I fully agree back up cam on a trailer is a GREAT idea

but as for towing, the narrower/ lower has it over a 8.5 wide trailer, less cross wind effect and less drag going forward
as for better MPG's
it should make a difference on a LONG trip, PENDING how fast your going and what your towing with,
a smaller less powerful tow rig will struggle more with a taller wider trailer
towed both and I too don't tend to be no slow poke on the road, which in itself doesn't lead to great Mpg's LOL

I would rather have the wider trailer, for the easy part of things with loading and space

but to decide here on what one?? might come down to the deal I was offered at time to buy
Both have pro's and con's

goingnorth

Pulled my buddie's 8.5' w enclosed 4 place with my Excursion. It was at times all I wanted handle. His Ford 350 1 ton diesel, quad cap, long bed, 2 wd drive, could have cared less what was back there. I'd go with the inline if pulling is a question. But having the extra space and height in the 8.5' was nice.

groomerdriver

Tow vehicle is not a problem. I'm good with our Expedition EL. Has load leveling and sway control.
I don't care about MPG's either. MAX I'll run is 7 over the posted speed limit.
When I was pulling a 7x14 enclosed I could see around it with plenty to spare. I thought about how nice a camera mounted on the back of the trailer would be. You can pick up a wireless heated camera for something like $400 or so.

xsledder - no this is a serious question. Don't know why you're surprised but whatever...it's all good! :)

EDIT - I should have asked "which height" as well. IF I wanted to be able to haul a SxS, what height is needed?

Last edited:

ezra

I thought about the aftermarket deal also . but that is just 1 more thing to stuff in the old gadget box after a use or 2. I was just thinking the oem could pretty ez wire in to the screen all the new trucks have .

machzdoo

I sold my 4 place inline because it took up to much room in my yard to store. I am going to go to a 8.5 just because it does not have to be so long.

goofy600

Deck over's (8'6") the wheels track in the same tracks as your truck inline trailers the wheels are wider which can affect towing in deep snow. Just another thing to think about, also another thing is with a inline you can't just unload the one you want off the trailer if you know what I mean. All that said I gave a 8.5x12 with a 4' v and can load 3 137" in it but a PIA and would rather have a inline. If you want to put a side by side in a trailer your going to have to get a 7' high more than likely, tons of choices just have to get all options.

2TrakR

I have two 8.5 and one 7. My preference is for the wider trailer because with that I can pull the sled(s) in/out without having to unload all of them and no sliding them "over" to fit. Lots of times I have one spare sled in the trailer and it never moves, yet I can pull the other(s) in/out without a problem.
Technically with an inline, you could do the same by putting the "spare" at the front and driving the rest out the back.

Both of my 8.5 are deck-over. Had an 8.5 that was a partial wheel well (low deck) but never used it with the sleds, should have kept it.
I tow with a duramax and it's not a concern what's hooked behind it, which sways my opinion on the "better" trailer a bit.

So, I too have the same question you do - why are the 7' so prevalent.... Had a few sales guys scoff at me when asking about 8.5 trailers.

I sometimes get a little chuckle watching 4 place inline (7') folks get loaded/unloaded. Looks like a parade. If it's one that they have to stagger, then it's a parade with a sideshow.

They are not cheaper. Maybe they tow a little nicer if the tow rig is a lighter truck. Don't need to slide the mirrors out to see around them.
Once you get to 3 or more sleds, they are getting real long or you have to futz with moving the sleds over to squeeze them in (compared to 8.5).

You want 6.5' inside height for hauling an UTV, 7' is preferred. For multi-use, the 7' wide units will keep the trailer lower to the ground which is nice. I also haul [dirt] bikes with my 7' trailer and you can't quite get the bikes sideways, only at an angle. 8.5 has plenty of room for sideways positioning. Can also get a couple quads next to each other on 8.5 (varies of course by ATV and tire/rim choice).

moose822

Getting a side X side to fit in a 7' stealth trailer required the trailer to be made an extra 12" high and have the rear of the trailer beaver tailed so that the roll cage of my prowler would fit through the door. I pulled that trailer with a 1/2 pickup with air bags and it was a white knuckle experience every time in a cross wind. That trailer was 25' in total length and we could get 4 sleds (1-144", 3-shorties) with a couple feet to spare. I traded that trailer in on a standard height, 7' wide, 22' long River Forest trailer with leaf springs. The shorter height and length have made this a much better trailer for me. It tows much better in general and a cross wind doesn't affect towing.

scoot

I've got an 8' 6' inclosed trailer and the only reason I can see a 7' would be better is for rearward visibility. Ever see those guys at the motel that can't back their trailer up to save their lives, even with mirror extenders? Then there are the guys on route 39 that wake up when you pass them and speed up so as not to let you back into the right lane. You can see the clown's intentions further back with a 7' and close the door sooner. ;)

rv245

Like what was said they both have their + and - . I had a deckover side x side and went to a 7' inline when I downsized in sleds. One thing I didn't like about the deckover was the steep ramp angle. It's a lot harder to walk up compared to a inline. You have to deiced whats best for you but one thing I can say for sure get the extra height, especially if your tall yourself.

groomerdriver

Have made one decision based on the feedback so far......forget about the SxS option.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question has popped up in my mind:

The trailer must have capability of 3 ea. 137" sleds. Honestly, 90% of the time I'm only using one sled. So my questions is......with a 7' wide trailer, if the front two sleds are facing the rear, can the rear most sled be backed off and driven back on into the same slot?

jedoyle

Have made one decision based on the feedback so far......forget about the SxS option.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question has popped up in my mind:

The trailer must have capability of 3 ea. 137" sleds. Honestly, 90% of the time I'm only using one sled. So my questions is......with a 7' wide trailer, if the front two sleds are facing the rear, can the rear most sled be backed off and driven back on into the same slot?

So it sounds like you want a 23' long inline (18+5). As for your last question, if it were me I would park the 1 sled as the first sled all the way to the back. Then it is a straight pull off and back up vs having to navigate a corner.