Favorite stops from back in the day..

euphoric1

what were some of your favorite stops on the trail that may or not be there any more from back in the day to the present?

Back in the day...early 90's..... Mercer area.... Pine lake Lodge/ had biggest greasiest burgers this side of the Mississippi IMO
Lucky's (or atleast I think it was the name) was I thought on Long lake?? had really old still working pinball machines
Beaver Lodge...from when it was a supper club type place to when it became a TGIF type place in the middle of the north woods.

Present riding in the U.P.... Rosseau Bar... just an interesting place, you have to see it, and has really good olive burgers LOL
Rogers Bar... Fun place, good food and no matter how cold owner (or I think he is) in shorts and flip flops
Jack Pine... wall full of tree fungus mounts, good food and oh yeah Elija the Indian LOL

dfattack

I think a place not only has to have good (decent) food but also in a strategic location for taking a break. I'm not a drinker so don't care about the bar. I like hilltop in L'Anse and Up North lodge in Gwinn. Third place is the Thunder bay inn in Big Bay.

goofy600

what were some of your favorite stops on the trail that may or not be there any more from back in the day to the present?

Back in the day...early 90's..... Mercer area.... Pine lake Lodge/ had biggest greasiest burgers this side of the Mississippi IMO
Lucky's (or atleast I think it was the name) was I thought on Long lake?? had really old still working pinball machines
Beaver Lodge...from when it was a supper club type place to when it became a TGIF type place in the middle of the north woods.

Present riding in the U.P.... Rosseau Bar... just an interesting place, you have to see it, and has really good olive burgers LOL
Rogers Bar... Fun place, good food and no matter how cold owner (or I think he is) in shorts and flip flops
Jack Pine... wall full of tree fungus mounts, good food and oh yeah Elija the Indian LOL
As for Rogers bar that is not the owner that is Joe and yes always in shorts. Know the place well🥴.

mezz

I second the Thunder Bay Inn in Big Bay, though we didn't regularly visit there, great atmosphere as well as great food. Had a few opportunities for late season rides where we would trailer from the Keweenaw to outside of L'anse & drive up into the Hurons & off load to play in the deep & eventually hit the Triple A trail into Big Bay which was the best dang trail I've ever had the pleasure of riding. The trail was divided by snow burms, it was like riding on a hot wheels track. Such a blast had to run that 12 mi stretch a couple of times. Sorry to get off track with that lol, (pun not intended) but my favorite stop was the Eagle Harbor Inn in the Keweenaw. Another place with great atmosphere & great food.

Last edited:

jr37

Chuck's, south of Mercer. Jake's, between Mass City and Twin Lakes. Procknow's, north of Edgar WI.

Last edited:

IOWASLEDDER

The old J.D.'s in WInchester, WI that would later become the Wilderness Inn. Loved stopping in those 2 places for some reason. Another one was the old Wild Goose Inn in Presque Isle. That was quite the place back in the day.

snoden

Rainbow Lodge near the Two Hearted River Northwest of Paradise was lost in the May 2012 wild fire that burned over 22,000 Acres and over 100 structures. It was a great breakfast and lunch joint, nothing special vary small place but it was run on generators.

euphoric1

Rainbow Lodge near the Two Hearted River Northwest of Paradise was lost in the May 2012 wild fire that burned over 22,000 Acres and over 100 structures. It was a great breakfast and lunch joint, nothing special vary small place but it was run on generators.
We were having sled trouble one night and needed gas and it was very late, I cant remember where we were but someone phoned the owner of Rainbow and he met us there and opened up so we could get gas, sorry to hear its gone. We would have been in big trouble if it wasn't for them.

Magnumb

Rusty Nail in Land O'- Great place to relax after a long day of riding.
Sunrise Lodge in Land O'- Awesome brkfst, still open, just not to the public

goofy600

Rusty Nail in Land O'- Great place to relax after a long day of riding.
Sunrise Lodge in Land O'- Awesome brkfst, still open, just not to the public
Sunrise opened back up to public for winter, just summer as of last year unless something changed.

winterwarlock

The Namakagon Chief (burned to the ground) on lake Namakagon in Cable, WI.
The original Famous Daves BBQ (burned to the ground) on Round Lake in Hayward, WI.
Ammos’ Evergreen Tavern, Garmisch USA Resort, Lakewoods Resort, Staudmeyers 4 Season Resort in Cable, WI.

jr37

The old J.D.'s in WInchester, WI that would later become the Wilderness Inn. Loved stopping in those 2 places for some reason. Another one was the old Wild Goose Inn in Presque Isle. That was quite the place back in the day.
In the winter of '87-'88, I was a senior in high school. My uncle, just 3 or 4 years older than me, and his family had land very close to J.D 's. We spent a weekend there drinking and a little riding. I know, it was wrong, but I was young and stupid. Saturday night we left the Pea Patch, heading for J.D.'s., down the county highway. We got near D&D's Oasis, when a cop pulled out to get us. Just that I was 3rd in line, and he pulled out in front of me. The trail crossed right there, and I slowly took the trail back to base, scared that the cop would be waiting for me at J.D.'s. My uncle and his friend got a ticket for being on the road. The cop wanted me for running on the road, fleeing, and what would have been under age drinking. My uncle didn't give me up, but he sure laughed at me hiding back at their place.

Henry's Never Inn in Rockland, best seafood extravaganza on Fridays, huge buffet spreads and specials every day...Sally was great.
Pine Cone Cafe in Lando, originally Leif's cafe with the chicken dumpling soup
Nothing beats riding into Blink Bonnies in St Germain for a sizzlin steak

Tim in Indiana

I second the Thunder Bay Inn in Big Bay, though we didn't regularly visit there, great atmosphere as well as great food. Had a few opportunities for late season rides where we would trailer from the Keweenaw to outside of L'anse & drive up into the Hurons & off load to play in the deep & eventually hit the Triple A trail into Big Bay which was the best dang trail I've ever had the pleasure of riding. The trail was divided by snow burms, it was like riding on a hot wheels track. Such a blast had to run that 12 mi stretch a couple of times. Sorry to get off track with that lol, (pun not intended) but my favorite stop was the Eagle Harbor Inn in the Keweenaw. Another place with great atmosphere & great food.
Love the Lobster pizza at the Eagle Harbor Inn.

whitedust

Foothills in Silver City was great in the 90s 100 sleds out front were fun to browse before we went in to eat steaks were excellent.

indy_500

This!!!

Honestly I’ve lost track of some of the awesome places I’ve been over the last 15 years. The only time I’ve been to Henry’s in Rockland, the town was out of water so they had a limited menu. I definitely need to go back.

dfattack

Henry's Never Inn in Rockland, best seafood extravaganza on Fridays, huge buffet spreads and specials every day...Sally was great.
Pine Cone Cafe in Lando, originally Leif's cafe with the chicken dumpling soup
Yeah I forgot to add that my list! Blink Bonnie’s definitely!