Favorite stops from back in the day..

dynoski

Stubbs Bar in Ontonagon, Burgers at Roxey's down the street and staying at Roger's In-Town motel!!!

Muff Diver drinks served at Stubbs in an ashtray.

favoritos

is it still there?? i have only stopped at Two Fat Guys, "Ashe Hole" now that's a cool name!
It's long gone. The building used to be right across from Dutch's. It wasn't much of a building. They used the same rule book for building and running the place. No rules. The place was entertaining ;) in a number of ways.

We've been going through that area for quite a few years. I can remember when they built Bam Bams which is now Two Fat Guys.

Anyone remember Sully's in Bergland? Cool building with some interesting history. Owners were interesting. Customer service was not a buzzword in that place.

The Foothills?
Jerry was a good one. He cared about the area and people and it showed. He went above and beyond to take care of you. We rambled in one time with some sour faces. He asked what was up. We explained that the snow kept disappearing as we got closer to the lake and we burned off our road side carbides. Two sleds were down to the ski and we were not sure how to swap carbides up there without tools. He went into the back and pulled out a rackety drill and socket set. Then he helped us start swapping carbides. After a bit he says, "You should get new carbides". We were well aware of that, but had no way to get them. He wandered away and came around with the ol van and told us to hop in. Jerry hauled us to Ontonagon to get carbides and then helped us swap on the new.
Jerry had a pile of good tales from grooming and crazy stuff in the area. I'm not sure how many saw his photo album.
BTW, there is a small park with a memorial for Jerry just off the trail between Silver City and White Pine. It's easy to reach on sleds. Nothing fancy, but has a view of the falls that vary quite a bit during the season. We often stop by to commemorate Jerry.

IOWASLEDDER

Another place that I can remember as well is in the Black River Falls/Hatfield, WI area. It's the Wildcat Supper Club in Neillsville. It's still there today and is open but the old owner back in the day, his name was Merly. That guy was a character and no matter how many times you talked to him, you never heard the same story twice. That guy had a story for everything!

Magnumb

Many years ago while riding in Northern WI we took a "wrong turn" & ended up @ Bent's Camp outside Lando. What a cool place on the water. Just don't make it down there much since we mostly ride the UP these days.
Pretty good ribs at that place and fairly priced.

Bent’s Camp was established in 1896 by Charles Bent, an avid outdoor enthusiast of sport fishing and hunting. He created the resort to preserve the Northwoods in all its glory for all to love and enjoy as much as he did. Since its establishment, it has been seen as a fantastic fishing attraction and still is today.
In 1906, the lodge restaurant was built for many different purposes but mainly to serve food to the fishing visitors who heard of the famous waters. In this era, the Bent family served fresh food, including vegetables they planted, grew, and harvested themselves from their handmade gardens. Today, Bent’s Camp holds itself to the highest standard when it comes to food, crafting delicious dishes in honor of the original Bent family’s lodge restaurant such as their handcrafted pizzas, sandwiches, and famous fish fry.
Two cabins, in particular, are rich in Bent’s Camp’s history called the Vair House and Caboose. The Vair House took its name from a woman named Mrs. Vair, who leased this cabin from Bent’s Camp through an American plan. An American plan allowed her to rent this cabin and eat all 3 hearty meals a day at Bent’s Camp. She had a lease with Roy Benedict, who owned Bent’s Camp at the time, for 50 years. As she got older, a man by the name of William McKinnon heard the lease was coming up and wanted to buy it out early and gain her property including the cabin. Bent’s Camp named the cabin Vair House in honor of her.
In the Vair House, there was no kitchen since it wasn’t necessary given the American plan, encouraging guests to eat at the restaurant. When William McKinnon purchased her lease in 1972, he had a kitchen built across the swamp named Caboose. He loved trains and stained the cabin red to mimic this love of his. In order to access the Caboose, he added a road through the swamp, calling it the causeway. Since then, Bent’s Camp has remodeled both cabins for guests to stay in and experience the original charm the resort holds.

The Cisco Chain of Lakes consists of 15 immaculate lakes. Dating back to before the 1800s, these lakes were not connected but that didn’t slow down the Chippewa tribes. They used to portage the Cisco Chain of Lakes by canoe! The tribes made this incredible journey to fish these prestigious lakes because they found it was a honey hole for fishing. As word traveled about this fishing hotspot, past president Eisenhower even visited on several occasions to fish all species the chain holds including walleye, northern pike, bass, panfish, and most famously, muskies.
Dick Rose, the founder of Discover Wisconsin and local guide in the Northwoods area, once guided Dr. William Pivar to the Michigan State record musky on the Chain in the 80s! This recorded class musky weighed in at 45 pounds on Thousand Island Lake on July 26, 1980.
The story goes that Pivar and local guide Dick Rose hadn’t caught anything the entire afternoon on the Cisco Chain and time was ticking. Pivar made a decision to switch to a lighter outfit without a leader attached. About 2 minutes later, throwing a Believer lure, Pivar hooked this record class musky. After a five-minute fight, he landed this trophy fish. Many say that the next Michigan state record fish will come out of these lakes.

whitedust

Another place that I can remember as well is in the Black River Falls/Hatfield, WI area. It's the Wildcat Supper Club in Neillsville. It's still there today and is open but the old owner back in the day, his name was Merly. That guy was a character and no matter how many times you talked to him, you never heard the same story twice. That guy had a story for everything!
Been there many times often riding alone Jackson and Clark counties were a day trip destination for me.

homan

Mean Genes in Sand River, Gene was the nicest guy you would ever meet.
Camel Riders had the best dinners that I have ever had in the UP.
Bingo’s in Wakefield. There was An older lady that made us frozen pizza for breakfast there one morning.
Boot Lake Bar: We had many, many good times there.
The Golden Harp just down the road from Krupps.
There was a bar between Hancock and Calumet just off the trail. Was it the Rainbow?
The Finn’s bar outside of Lanse. The one that burned down was a real dive. New one is beautiful.
The Ash-hole at one time was a strip club. Had one of the dancers that wanted to go home with me one night. I told her no!
The Tumble Inn in Eckerman used to have hard rock bands every Saturday night. Place was wild.
The bar in Moran had too many different names.
I’ve spent a lot of time in the UP snowmobiling over the last 40 years!

mspease

It's long gone. The building used to be right across from Dutch's. It wasn't much of a building. They used the same rule book for building and running the place. No rules. The place was entertaining ;) in a number of ways.

We've been going through that area for quite a few years. I can remember when they built Bam Bams which is now Two Fat Guys.

Anyone remember Sully's in Bergland? Cool building with some interesting history. Owners were interesting. Customer service was not a buzzword in that place.

The Foothills?
Jerry was a good one. He cared about the area and people and it showed. He went above and beyond to take care of you. We rambled in one time with some sour faces. He asked what was up. We explained that the snow kept disappearing as we got closer to the lake and we burned off our road side carbides. Two sleds were down to the ski and we were not sure how to swap carbides up there without tools. He went into the back and pulled out a rackety drill and socket set. Then he helped us start swapping carbides. After a bit he says, "You should get new carbides". We were well aware of that, but had no way to get them. He wandered away and came around with the ol van and told us to hop in. Jerry hauled us to Ontonagon to get carbides and then helped us swap on the new.
Jerry had a pile of good tales from grooming and crazy stuff in the area. I'm not sure how many saw his photo album.
BTW, there is a small park with a memorial for Jerry just off the trail between Silver City and White Pine. It's easy to reach on sleds. Nothing fancy, but has a view of the falls that vary quite a bit during the season. We often stop by to commemorate Jerry.
We used to go into Sully's all the time. Everyone wanted to buy their round of drinks there as they were so cheap! Heavy smoke filled the air as the owners were always smoking. Just an empty lot now.

old abe

Would you, or perhaps whitedust, happen to remember the name of the bar at Clam Lake? Pickled green beans, and pickled asparagus in the Bloody Mary's.

Last edited:

old abe

Still one of the better places to ride in Wisconsin if/when it ever snows there.
Before they allowed the ATV's on the snowmobile trails yes, great, now days no. We don't ride anywhere that allows the wheeled vehicles on the snowmobile trails in the snow.

ragsled

Would you, or perhaps whitedust, happen to remember the name of the bar at Clam Lake? Pickled green beans, and pickled asparagus in the Bloody Mary's.
There used to be Debs Y Go By, now it's Ransom's Place. Never had a Bloody there but they USED to sell all kinds of different bar goodies.

old abe

The Evergreen SW of BRF also was a super supper spot. Famous for their Ribeye's, and Grasshoppers after eating!

IOWASLEDDER

Before they allowed the ATV's on the snowmobile trails yes, great, now days no. We don't ride anywhere that allows the wheeled vehicles on the snowmobile trails in the snow.
I've quit taking trips there with my side by side in the summer. It's so crazy busy there on ANY given weekend it's downright ridiculous. I've never rode my side by side on trails in the winter and will never do it either.

whitedust

I've quit taking trips there with my side by side in the summer. It's so crazy busy there on ANY given weekend it's downright ridiculous. I've never rode my side by side on trails in the winter and will never do it either.
The snow dust created on some of the road trails in Clark county by ATVs is incredible. Combining sleds and ATVs use on snow is like horse and buggy on the interstate with race cars. Crazy combination.