Finally some real EV/Truck stats and...... WOW!!!

euphoric1

On way back from the north this morning on a AM radio station I listen to they said and I apologize I do not remember the study groups name but they took a Ford Lightening EV and put a load to it, a load of 1400 lbs, they didn't say if it was in the bed of the truck or in a trailer but.....are you ready for this??? unloaded I thought they said it had a range of some 278 miles, with the 1400 lb load........ 68 miles.....thats SIXTY EIGHT!!!! what a difference! now, if you are one of those who have a truck to say "look at me I have a truck" you have nothing to be concerned about, but if you want a truck for a trucks purpose.... Im not thinking so. And yes I know battery and ev technology is still ever changing but with these stats.... we arent even close to any kind of truck functionality that would be any good to any of us. With those stats you would have to add a day or two to your trip to the north woods in the winter because can you imagine the number in dead of winter with heat and defroster running?? YIKES

bearrassler

A guy that I know has a repair shop in Grand Forks next to a Tesla charging station, I asked him if he sees many cars using it and he told me usually one or two a day when he is at work but a while back there was a Tesla towing a small boat and he went over and talked to him. The guy was from Winnipeg and had purchased the boat in Texas, it was about a 1200 mile trip and the farthest he could go was 90 miles and it took 2 1/2 hours to charge every time. We are about 140 miles from Winnipeg so he still had to stop one more time before he got home. Not for me.

dfattack

Forgot to mention the same test revealed that the trailer had to be disconnected each time the truck had to be charged due to the layout of the charging stations. That would also be very annoying

snomoman

I always love to figure out mathematical problems so here we go, he drives an hour and a half for 90 miles and he has to charge for 2 1/2 hours, so that means four hours every 90 miles so if you divide that he has to do 13-14 charges, figuring it out it’s going take him around 53-57 hours to cover 1200 miles provided he takes 2 1/2 hour catnaps when he’s charging unless he stays at a hotel then you can add that to it

pclark

Quite a reason to go EV! Keep the bad news coming......EV has a long way to go before it's right and can deliver a value like ICE engines do.

I'm not against them but clearly the way this has been pushed on everyone is insane. Trying to keep this clean so I don't violate the rules but I'll bet a lot of people would unload if this was on barstool.

pclark

How have EVS improved in the past year especially trucks?
I'm not sure they have, because of the price they will have to start cutting corners eventually to make them profitable. If we only knew how much they are subsidized by the Government (by that I mean the automakers) we might be shocked.

whitedust

I'm not sure they have, because of the price they will have to start cutting corners eventually to make them profitable. If we only knew how much they are subsidized by the Government (by that I mean the automakers) we might be shocked.
Better start improving soon or an embarrassing mistake by libs to band ICE

Northstar

Perhaps taverns should put a charging station in..
You would than relax, meet some interesting characters all whilst yer car or truck takes a charge 🤔 😉 😀
Sounds like a nice idea until the new mandated monitoring systems are required in all new cars in 2026 which will disable your vehicle if it determines you are impaired. Big Bother and Big Tech will let you know if it is OK to drive your care, and I am sure we will pay dearly for the privilege.

whitedust

It wasn't a mistake, it's a plan, a bad one that just weakens all of us. Nothing good has come from this movement.
It seems the EV aggressive timeline is a mistake ain’t no way ICE will be displaced anytime soon without vast improvement in the battery technology and cost of the production of EVs. Generally moving to EVs from ICE to EVs is not a simple and fast change and will indeed take a detailed plan over 10s of years if it happens at all in 20 years. Also the aggressive move to EV semi cargo trucks is still a dream no EV technology exits or charging infrastructure is currently available to accomplish this dream. Imo it’s a mistake to pursue unattainable EV timelines.

Hoosier

If the long term goal is for them to drive themselves and you don't own them anymore, then maybe with trailering the powers that be would swap tow vehicles for you?

I suppose it won't matter since we'll all be in their 15 minute cities by then. Maybe you can snowmobile and boat by VR instead.

euphoric1

Forgot to mention the same test revealed that the trailer had to be disconnected each time the truck had to be charged due to the layout of the charging stations. That would also be very annoying
never thought about that...LOL X1000!!!

goofy600

Whatever happened to just pulling up to the gas pump and putting in some good American gasoline that is refined right here in America?

We took a wrong turn somewhere and we are so lost........
Ya it may be American refined but probably from Canada or South America or Middle East