Finally some real EV/Truck stats and...... WOW!!!

I'm in insurance as an Independent Agent and I don't have a company that would cancel for charging in a garage.
We don't have many EV's in our area but of those I know of they elect not to charge in a garage just for the increased fire hazard.

favoritos

I was under the impression that there was a preconditioning process for cold charging. My power tool batteries sure don't do anything with cold. I get the warning flasheroo until the batteries are warmed.
Heck, one of my ICE vehicles has a battery heater. That vehicle was doing some complaining last night in the cold. I usually do a slow drive warm up when possible and when it's real cold the vehicles don't sound happy.

heckler56

I was under the impression that there was a preconditioning process for cold charging. My power tool batteries sure don't do anything with cold. I get the warning flasheroo until the batteries are warmed.
Heck, one of my ICE vehicles has a battery heater. That vehicle was doing some complaining last night in the cold. I usually do a slow drive warm up when possible and when it's real cold the vehicles don't sound happy.
You heard correct. Lithium batteries can be damaged charging them when they are internally below 32 degrees (generally). My EV battery bank has an anti freeze heating/cooling system you should activate prior to driving off in sub 32 temps.

saber1

You heard correct. Lithium batteries can be damaged charging them when they are internally below 32 degrees (generally). My EV battery bank has an anti freeze heating/cooling system you should activate prior to driving off in sub 32 temps.
yea friend of mine had no issues in this cold there is a learning curve to owning a EV most people dont know about the heating system for the batteries and probably didnt activate it thus the no charge or slow charge problem.