Finally some real EV/Truck stats and...... WOW!!!

harvest1121

Well I do drive a Toyota Hybrid Camry but I did take all the hybrid badges off so people don't think I am one of them. I bought a Toyota Corolla hybrid for $4500 off sticker when I knew gas prices would go up. Was a great car usually about 55 mpg. Wanted something nicer and bigger the Camry during summer gets 50 mpg cold weather about 40...If people would buy more of these gas prices would drop. I still do have a gas SUV but its hard to drive with the amount of gas it uses.

nytro_rtx

I just heard the other day that the Rivian EV's plant loses 33 thou. for every truck they make, not sure if what I heard was true but it sure wouldn't surprise me!

snobuilder

Well I do drive a Toyota Hybrid Camry but I did take all the hybrid badges off so people don't think I am one of them. I bought a Toyota Corolla hybrid for $4500 off sticker when I knew gas prices would go up. Was a great car usually about 55 mpg. Wanted something nicer and bigger the Camry during summer gets 50 mpg cold weather about 40...If people would buy more of these gas prices would drop. I still do have a gas SUV but its hard to drive with the amount of gas it uses.
Only filthy corrupt dumbassed politicians want the full EV. The common sense approach is hybrid where you have a fuel option. That fuel option plus an affordable price will move ppl into that commuter vehicle. A 5th grader can understand it.

harvest1121

In other words....park your f150/250/RAM/Silveraydoe toy hauler during the week and "save the planet" while commuting to work and back in a little chit box....
I have no issue doing that. Why get 15 mpg in my truck or get 50 mpg in a car during the week. It ads up driving 350 a week. If its nice during the winter I take the car, sleds are already in the garage, And I don't use premium gas in my Sidewinders either. My 850 Skidoo ran fine on regular gas.

SledTL

my wifes camry hybrid gets great mileage as well. Beats driving the jeep mileage around. Its also a fully loaded XSE so it doesnt really look like a typical hyrbid. Don't know why more people don't drive them.

saber1

Wife drives a Toyota Camry Hybrid also great car.The one thing people over look is the more hybrid and all electric cars on the road the less demand for gas so hoping that keeps the prices reasonable I see an all electric in my near future.I am in sales and put on 150miles on average a day its a no brainer to drive an ev all wk then use the Truck for vacations and sledding.

SledTL

Most likely it's subsidised, the tax payers lose thee $33K, not Rivian. What a joke..........
I'd like to see some data or proof that they lose that much per vehicle. I get that alot of them are bleeding money, but thats basically a car loss equivalent for each car produced. Vehicle production has not changed that greatly, and if anything its less production costs for EV. If its related to development or capex recoup sure.

nytro_rtx

Most likely it's subsidised, the tax payers lose thee $33K, not Rivian. What a joke..........
No doubt it's subsidized by us.... and for sure shouldn't be, if the EV market can't stand on its own then let them be what they will be.

Hoosier

my wifes camry hybrid gets great mileage as well. Beats driving the jeep mileage around. Its also a fully loaded XSE so it doesnt really look like a typical hyrbid. Don't know why more people don't drive them.
Agree hybrids should be the future. EVs have too many drawbacks.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
A timely piece in the Wall Street Journal today that ties in with this conversation.
Buyers looking to get a bargain on a new car might want to consider an electric vehicle. As sales growth has slowed for battery-powered models, automakers and dealers are slashing prices and piling on discounts to clear out unsold inventory.
Some automakers, such as Hyundai Motor
and Ford Motor are this month offering cash rebates as high as $7,500 on some models. Others are resorting to aggressive lease deals that offer cheaper monthly payments or shorter contract lengths to attract buyers. Many car companies are offering low-interest rate promotions in an attempt to make pricey EVs more affordable.

Market leader Tesla has slashed prices this year across its lineup, reducing the starting price of some models by roughly a third. Ford Motor has also marked down its Mustang Mach-E SUV at least two times this year.

For consumers such promotions can be a boon, helping to shrink the price difference between an EV and a traditional gasoline vehicle. But it is another sign that the once-hot market for these models is losing its charge.

jonesin

A Bunch of Dead Robots:’ Frigid Chicago Temps Turn EV Charging Stations into ‘Car Graveyards’​

A story headline from today, who woulda thunk?
FJB

dfattack

A Bunch of Dead Robots:’ Frigid Chicago Temps Turn EV Charging Stations into ‘Car Graveyards’​

A story headline from today, who woulda thunk?
FJB
I read that.

Musk is smart guy. I wonder if there are warnings or notices to buyers about this situation included with the car? I ask because I don't own an electric car. They have a use for some but even if that is someone in the northern climates are they told about cold temperature charging?

xcr440

Most likely people without a garage or a renter who didn’t research doing their own charging, just went blindly into what we have been doing with gasoline: drive up, fill and go. Not so much with these EV’s. Realistically you need a 220 service for a good home charger, and most homes, and probably almost zero apartments have that capability.

jonesin

Most likely people without a garage or a renter who didn’t research doing their own charging, just went blindly into what we have been doing with gasoline: drive up, fill and go. Not so much with these EV’s. Realistically you need a 220 service for a good home charger, and most homes, and probably almost zero apartments have that capability.
ive been reading things that say if you park one in your garage your home owner insurance will be cancelled, i cant prove that....