First trip to up

hotrodbrett

Ok I got the ok to go on a trip to the up me and 3 of my friends. But I have to go befor christmas. Dose any body have any ideas on were to go around monday the 14 of december for a 4-6 day trip? My sled is a 00 mxz 700 121 with 1 3/4 paddle track, buddies sled are a 95 polaris 600 tripple with 136 2" paddle, 99 mxz 670 ho with 136 1 1/4, last is a stock 09 yamaha 4 stroke all stock. we would like to try and get some off trail (with owners premision of corse). I am trying to plan this trip but it makes it kinda hard with the other kid on the way. Thats why it has to be befor christmas. Any ideas are welcome. thanks

polarisrider1

Good luck! It's total hit or miss that early in the season. There will be no planning at that time. Your trip will be a "Hey guys it snowed big time at such and such" lets go now! And expect everyone to be there. I would not waste the time and resources at a trip to the UP that early.

ranlam

It is hit or miss and can can be a little dangerous being the first ones busting trail (culverts and waterholes etc.) since groomers are not out to much that early. But if your careful you can have a total blast, for the last three years we have had the same small group up a week or two before christmas bustin trail, hope to see them again this year. Sounds like you got the sleds to do it so.....email me around that time and I will help you out any way possible.

hotrodbrett

ok, thanks guys I relise it is a hit an miss some areas will have plenty of snow and others will have hardly any. We are form south east minnesota. And I wish I could plan the trip for jan. some time. But the wife says no. I jess we will just have to wait to see what the winter will bring. Is it easy to get rooms or a cabin that time of year?

adrenlnjunky

Just curious, has anyone ever heard of a husband telling a wife no you cant go here or there you have to stay home? We always go up the week before christmas and have had great snow everytime. We stay in mass city and ride north.

S

skylar

It usually is easy to get a cabin or a room that time of the year. And yes it is hit and miss. Obviously the lake effect snow belts off of Lake Superior are the best areas to have rideable snow.

My friends and I have gone up to the Twin Lakes area every year, before Christmas, since 1995 or 1996. We've ridden in 2-3 feet of powder, and on 6" of snow hitting rocks the whole time. I can not remember a time where we didn't make it due to no snow. Low snow, yes, no snow, never.

Early season riding is just that, some water holes are not froze over, maybe not a very good base on the trails, off trail is sketchy, lots of stumps to watch out for, unfrozen creeks, and try to stay off the power lines, you would not believe the hazzards that are on the power lines.

Bottom line is this, pray for good snow, and as long as you tell yoursleves you are going to have fun no matter what the conditions are, you will.

zrjes

Im with Skylar on this one, there has normally always been snow around that time of the year especially in the LES areas. Chances of "Great" off trail riding are slim, it would be more of logging road riding than true off trail go anywhere riding. As stated above, lots of stumps and rocks makes it dangerous, especially for a group that does not know the area.

Anywhere from Mass City up to the high terrain of the Keweenaw is a very safe bet.

Stack

hotrodbrett

ok thanks guys we are use to low snow conditions we live out side of rochester minnesota. I have always wanted do go to the up but never had a good chance with work now i am laid off i got all the time in the word. except for the baby that is due in middle of jan. but thank you all for the information.

hotrodbrett

ok if i decide to go a week or 2 after christmas i was thinking of twin lakes is that a good area. we would like a good off trail area with premision.

favoritos

There are no guarantees on snow up there even that late. Try to leave your plans open if you are set on riding off trail. Watch John's info and you will be able to get good snow when it happens.

The snow needs to be pretty deep compared to what you are used to around home. The rocks and buried trees can be brutal. Even the trail riding can be pretty rough sometimes in the early season because of the rocks. If you do ride early, pick established trails that have been in the same spot for a few years they have less rocks and waterholes.

I wish I could offer more help on the off trail riding, but we do not get a chance to do much of that riding. We just do not want to ride illegal and do not know all the areas that are permitted for off trail.

maddog24

You should be fine. I have ridden by that time in December (9 of the last 10 years). You should keep your options open but usually the western UP gets colder weather and has more snow early in the season. You also won't have a problem getting a week day room or cabin that early in the season. Thats been our experience.

hotrodbrett

yea we aint use to that much snow any ways. we normly only have couple inches on the ground any ways down hear and on the trails it all rock and chissle plowed fileds we only get good riding in some ditches.

doospunk

Try and stay flexible with location and expectations on conditions but as Skylar and Lenny stated above, the Keewenaw from Mass City and north is the best bet with LES. Take a look at my profile pic. That was the second weekend in December last year. Congrats on the "soon to be" family addition.

L

lenny

the first snow last season was on 11-08. I was happy and snapped a pic
115277.jpg

was light and didnt accumulate but none the less exciting
This one was 11-21
115278.jpg

hotrodbrett

them pictures look like most of last year when i got my sled out at christmas but we had some drifts bout 1 foot deep to play in didnt last long but it was fun

mezz

Here is a shot of Dec 21, 2008, now keep in mind, this was after some consistant steady snow's:
115398.jpg

115399.jpg

115400.jpg

Could have gone much earlier than that, but we would not have had conditions like this, a base that was beginning to build, plus DEEP on top. Hard to believe what a difference a few day's to a week can make. Inquire on conditions here, I don't think you can go wrong with the information that is given here. Keep in mind, your definition of rideable & our's here in the Keweenaw are two different meaning's. When we say it's not rideable or not enough, we say so because it is just that. Too many way's to get hurt &/or damage sled's, especially early on in the season.-Mezz