Forecasts + weather predictions = bs

elf

As of noon yesterday they were still calling for 10-14" in the Duluth area, We got nothing, not even an inch.

bearrassler

Yesterday morning they were calling for 10 to 20 inches in Grand Forks, we got about 1/2 inch on the north side of town and maybe 2 inches on the south side.

rsvectordude

Well so far for this storm they were right on the money. They predicted 6-12 inches and I woke up this morning to 10 inches on my truck..WOOHOO going to be riding one last weekend.

xcr440

This storm only went about 150 miles south of where they predicted, less than 24 hours before. Funny how that works!

Best to just watch the rock......

mezz

The Bubble over the Keweenaw continues.:confused:Can't believe how this winter has been, all I can say is Mother Nature has a way of taking care of the checks & balances. At this point, I'm hoping she can manage to balance this account for the up-coming season. It sure would be nice if we could get a fresh 10 plus as we still have a good base in the woods. Oh well, no sense in cryin over spilt milk.:eek:-Mezz

neldogmxz

Bearrassler

Wow bearrassler, 1/2" out of a predicted 10" to 20" - they were darn close! Feel bad for all the snowmobiliers that took last minute vacation days to head north chasing 10" to 20" of predicted snowfall only to see 1/2". These weather "experts" would be much better off telling us that there MAY be some snowfall SOMEWHERE in the USA and we'll all just wait and see how much we get and where it falls. Everybody down south is heading North for the snow and everybody up north is hooking back up to their plows and getting their generators ready for the "DUMPING!" What a joke!

skiroule

It's surprising that this was such a big "a swing and a miss" given the short forecast window. The 1" of slush predicted for our area turned into 7" of white stuff in the southeast metro (and still coming down).

As much as I like snow, I would have rather seen this go where it was forecast and could still be put to good use.

northmnsledder

I was on the other side of this. 1 to 3 predicted yesterday afternoon and woke up to 8 to 10 with it still snowing. Yet 15 miles south at my office we had maybe 4". Strange storm.

bearrassler

I found out that Mayville, ND about 40 miles southwest of us got 19 inches and just 15 miles south they got 8 inches so it was close but it missed us. I may have to trailer 15 miles and go for a ride tomorrow.

ranlam

I agree ..forcasting has been way off this year. But hey its mother nature and there is no definate 100% forcast, even though they said 100% for accumulative snow for today in the Western UP, what a joke for sure. Most years winter forcasting for the UP has to be simple, just say good chance of snow for everyday!---not this year. Oh well time to get the wheelers out and there up the mud.

wirev

I'm with bearrassler. Said we could get up to 18" and we didn't even get a flake!
The Rev
NorDakota

6hundy6

Better off keeping a close eye on the radar. Meteorologists can run all the models they want, no one knows untill its all said and done. I always watch the radar before a storm and just watch it track.

I haven't missed a storm in MN all year.:D

dfattack

computer models

I think whoever writes the software for the computer models needs to rewrite the code. I'm no expert but I think there are probably 12-15 different models to look at and most of the forecasters have been obviously looking at the same models. The last two years have seen almost all of the big system snows predicted for Northern Wisc and the UP heading south.

Now all you have to do is see what the models say and adjust 150-200 miles south and you'll be right on.