Freda loop?

euphoric1

That is very unfortunate, hopefully it will reopen eventually but seeing what the flood did, I can only imagine what areas of the Freda loop look like.

ICT Sledder

Seems like talk has always been that the Freda loop is the lowest priority in the flood fix list, with some saying maybe never. Miss it. Miss 3 from Dollar to Linden more though. Far nicer way to go north out of H/H than blah 17.

For trail riders the Keweenaw is losing it's appeal with all the trails shut down. Skipped it last year. Will probably skip it again this year. Sucks.

saber1

yea very unfortunate been hitting the Eastern UP last couple years in Mid January trails and conditions have been pretty good.

slimcake

Seems like talk has always been that the Freda loop is the lowest priority in the flood fix list, with some saying maybe never. Miss it. Miss 3 from Dollar to Linden more though. Far nicer way to go north out of H/H than blah 17.

For trail riders the Keweenaw is losing it's appeal with all the trails shut down. Skipped it last year. Will probably skip it again this year. Sucks.

The worst thing is I was thinking the same thing... I get tired of the grade in a hurry...

euphoric1

The worst thing is I was thinking the same thing... I get tired of the grade in a hurry...

Agreed...straight lines get pretty lame after a while. I don't know if it is a priority thing with Freda loop, a large part of that trail was wet, I can only imagine the extent of damage, seeing what the water did to city roads up there. Doesn't mean im not hoping and praying we will have it back sooner than later, but also know it may be lost for good uuuugh!

indy_500

With the exception of the northern 1/3 of the Freda loop, I can say I have off trail ridden in the general area of the southern 2/3 of it and have crossed paths with the old trail many times and don’t notice any more downed trees or damage than usual... All of the logging roads are 100% accessible as far as I can tell and navigating even some of the nastiest creek bottoms in that area, even a spot we call Death Valley, is no different than it was before the storm. So this is just my 2 cents but I have a hard time believing the Freda loop is “a far ways off” of ever getting repaired and in good shape again... But in general that whole area is usually pretty wet. Obviously to get it going again it takes a lot of awesome volunteers and man hours, but this is just my general observation.

Sandylake

The trail from DB to LL is pretty sweet and scenic. And the Freda trail is nice because it doesn't get a ton of traffic.

Even though I don't ride trails like a lot of you do those trails are nice and hopefully get fixed.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
The biggest issue with the Freda loop, is the rail bed part of it, multiple washouts. Not little ones either. Now, once off the rail bed heading toward Toivola, there are a few washouts, one small one, and one large one. Also one bad spot where the beavers have done their thing.

UP RIDER

I have been on the Rail Bed section several times in the last couple of years, the Stanton locals keep the trail usable. They have done some temporary fix’s and keep the windfalls cleaned up. They also made an offer to the DNR to repair the washouts but the way the story goes they were turned down because there would have to be Engineering studies and such done before any repairs could be made.....

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been on the Rail Bed section several times in the last couple of years, the Stanton locals keep the trail usable. They have done some temporary fix’s and keep the windfalls cleaned up. They also made an offer to the DNR to repair the washouts but the way the story goes they were turned down because there would have to be Engineering studies and such done before any repairs could be made.....

Wonder who the jackwagon is who cut the timbers out on the bridge? Made the bridge impassable if on a sxs or atv.

wirev

That's right, get the government involved, that'll speed things up. I know, it only took them 3 years to get 3 acres of a National Veteran's Cemetery at Harshaw completed.

ICT Sledder

Lol, really? What about the culvert that needs to be there?

If that's the scale and type of damage scattered about the Freda loop, then it's pretty lame that it's not repaired yet. A pickup truck and a mini excavator can handle that.

I'm guessing the rail bed damage is much worse?